2018 Junior World Championships Ladies SP | Page 30 | Golden Skate

2018 Junior World Championships Ladies SP

kresslia

Medalist
Canadian women late bloomers then perhaps. I'm a big fan of Kaetlyn but have no idea what she did as a junior.
Yes they are. Both Gabby (1 JGP bronze) and Kaetlyn (10th at JW) didn't exactly light the world on fire as juniors.

Anyway, as a casual follower of the Russian ladies, the pushing of Konstantinova makes 0 sense to me. They have many other ladies who are more talented, more consistent, and would do well having more experience.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The Russians so boring. Skate around and then jump, jump, jump. Arms over head for meaningless points.

Why are points meaningless? It’s kind of the point ;) The judges only award GOE if a tano improves the quality of the jump. It isn’t required that they award them. I massively prefer jumps with Tanos and rippons to everyone doing the same pulled in chicken wing jumps over and over. Why you want everyone to skate the exact same is exactly what’s wrong and been wrong with this sport for decades! Let the skaters determine where the sport goes...not grumpy narrow minded fans who are selective in who they show respect to.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The points are the only thing that have meaning...

I’m so tired of PCS complainers who show up in every event thread to tell us how PCS should be awarded. It’s always based on some abstract feeling or connection they have with certain skaters. I think it’s time to reduce PCS drastically and go to a quantifiable performance based system. If for nothing else to spare us of the misery of those who always know better than all the judges but seemingly have like no grasp of how dynamic the PCS system actually is.

Eclair

Medalist
That's basically my point. Although "a bit" goes to the Japanese. Cui, I think, was strongly underscored mainly because she is a new kid on the block. If she keeps going like that she may get "Bradie's boost" in no time at all.

Cui only had a 3T-3T, and her SS, performance and interpretation is nowhere near where the Japanese ladies were ... If anyone, it was Young You who was underscored in PCS. She had fantastic TR and a good performance/interpretation, but got less PCS and GOE than Cui ...

Shayuki

Record Breaker
Cui only had a 3T-3T, and her SS, performance and interpretation is nowhere near where the Japanese ladies were ... If anyone, it was Young You who was underscored in PCS. She had fantastic TR and a good performance/interpretation, but got less PCS and GOE than Cui ...
That's something I believe was caused by her starting order - The low PCS. I don't think hers should be that high. It should be at least in the 27-28 clump. On the other hand, she got overscored on TES so it evens out.

readernick

Medalist

I am not impressed by Young You. I mean she is impressive given her age but her SS, performance, and jumps are not better than average. I don't think she was that underscored compared to the other ladies. Particularly, given the skater order. Both Young You, and Ting Cui would have gotten higher PCS if they skated later. I do agree that the Japanese girls deserve their PCS. I would give Rika higher PCS than Trusova if she hadn't fallen. (Alena should be higher than both of them) Generally, Japanese skates have beautiful SS and these girls are no exception. The only skaters who are better (in my opinion) in terms of SS are Alena K. and Emmy Ma. (but Emmy does not have the technical content to be competitive-- so her PCS is never that high.)

3T3T

Final Flight
Country
Ireland
I just watched the Top 6 and a few others. I would reverse the Top 2 and have Kostornaia in the lead but still have them close. I think her PCS are superior to Trusova. I find Trusovas programme to be unsuitable for a 13 year old, she is so slight and tiny I find it amazing that she can do 4S and 4T. I love Kostornaia’s short so mature and sophiscated, way above what I would expect from a junior.

There will be a real battle for Bronze. Kihara had a dynamic performance but I think her 3T in the combo should have being downgraded, so is a little overmarked for me. I enjoyed both Lim and Yamashita, but would probably have the Korean ahead. I was disappointed for Konstantinova. She always has an issue but I really like her style, it’s athletic, dynamic, full of attack. Iknow she doesn’t get much love here but I would love to see her on the podium. However I think Kihara will nab the bronze.

I really liked Emmy Ma’s skate, but the jumps gave her some issues but a very mature performance. I alos liked Morgan Flood, the American Azeri, a nice performance but lower tech. She just missed out on the free but did get a PB. Nice to see Kazakhstan qualify for the free.