Which lady will win "Gold" at 2005 Worlds and Probably Olympics | Golden Skate

Which lady will win "Gold" at 2005 Worlds and Probably Olympics

Who do you think will win??

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MichelleWingKwan

Match Penalty
Which lady will win "Gold" at 2005 Worlds and Probably Olympics

Who do you think. I think Michelle will do fine with COP judging and will win every event she enters. I hope if she does do fine with the COP in 2005 Worlds she has the best chance of winning the Olympics as well. I'm crossing my fingers that Shizuka will fall or two foot or just does something wrong and Miki Ando does the same thing and Sasha same thing. I'm a fan of Michelle and always will be. Go MICHELLE!!!! This your session :) :) :)

What about Cynthia Phaneuf, the young Canadian champion who is riding high in the Grand Prix this year? :)

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
I am sad to think of somebody wishing ill to others. I find I like it a lot better when everyone skates really well and the best wins. Of course, I like it better if it's my favorite but I sure couldn't wish anyone to have bad skates just so my favorite would win. And if the favorite is the best, she/he would win anyway.
:scowl:

chania36

On the Ice
It is so upsetting to see that someone would wish bad things to happen to someone so just that their preferred skater would win.

I have too a favorite skater but would never never, and never wish something bad to another one, I would like a fair skate to all skaters that they would all skate clean and have a real fight and have the best win, no by wishing that one falls, or doubles a jump, how sad this is.

About Canadian Cynthia Phaneuf, with her silver medal at Skate America last week and a gold medal at Skate Canada this week, everything is possible, the kee here for her is her body changes, since last year, she has got a lot and she herself had said that she had to relearned her jumps, she did a great job because it does not show. Just not forget Joanie Rochette, she is a great and wonderful skater too, I think she is in front of Cynthia and just cant wait and see. But just not count nobody out of the next olympics because witht he new COP, you can be 7th in the short and come back and clain gold just like Sandue did this week end.

Last edited:

Germanice

On the Ice
MichelleWingKwan said:
Who do you think. I think Michelle will do fine with COP judging and will win every event she enters. I hope if she does do fine with the COP in 2005 Worlds she has the best chance of winning the Olympics as well. I'm crossing my fingers that Shizuka will fall or two foot or just does something wrong and Miki Ando does the same thing and Sasha same thing. I'm a fan of Michelle and always will be. Go MICHELLE!!!! This your session :) :) :)
Thank you, what a great, "helpful" post! :rofl:

Ooouups, Kwan'll do "it" again at Olympics. :biggrin:
The Empress will sweep the ice with her and everyone else ... :yes:

Anke

gezando

Final Flight
MichelleWingKwan said:

I am not sure whether you are always a Michelle fan, last time I saw someone proclaimed that he jumped wagon and became the #1 Michelle Kwan basher on the net.

BTW, if you are really a Michelle fan, you may want to resubmit your request to the skating gods. Wishing others not to do well seemed to be the proven way for the skating gods to bless them.

IIRC before the 2003 USA nationals some posters here wished anyone but MIchelle to win, and the skating gods reversed all their wishes. ;)

Fossi

Final Flight
I think Cynthia Phanuf will win big. She is coming on the year before the Olympics and going strong. Reminds me of Tara Lipinski, but without the jumps. I think Cynthia is a much stronger skater than Sasha Cohen and will be more loved than Michelle Kwan. Canada has finally produced a new winner! You go girl!

Can't pinpoint a prediction just yet and probably will not be able to. the field is really great this year This is what I have to choose from as of today:

Shizuka, Rochette, Poykio, Cohen, Kwan.

I believe the above listed 5 are better skaters than Costner, Sebestyen, Ando, Suguri, Onda, Phaneuf, Nikidinov, Kirk

And I would not be surprised if Meissner or Czisny pull an upset if they make it to the Worlds.

Joe

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Fossi said:
I think Cynthia Phanuf will win big. She is coming on the year before the Olympics and going strong. Reminds me of Tara Lipinski, but without the jumps. I think Cynthia is a much stronger skater than Sasha Cohen and will be more loved than Michelle Kwan. Canada has finally produced a new winner! You go girl!

OK. What do you see in your crystal ball that makes you think she wiil be more loved than Kwan?

millie

Medalist
Because Michelle is loved does not mean that Cynthia is not loved also by skating fans. There is more than one figure skater in the world. You don't need a crystal ball to see Cynthia skating at the Olympics. She will go there and do her best and hopefully win. Go Cynthia Go.

euterpe

Medalist
Tara Lipinski won the GPF two years in a row and was the World Champion the year before she won Olympic Gold. She'd also gone to Worlds two years before Nagano.

So if Cynthia can win the GPF and has enough moxie to defeat Kwan, Cohen and the Japanese ladies at Moscow 2005, she will be going to Turin with the best chance of all.

The problem is Cynthia won SC despite falling twice in the FS because no one else skated better. She won't face Kwan and Cohen in the GPF, and it remains to be seen if she can beat Arakawa. Cynthia can't depend on top skaters being absent to win competitions. She has to land her jumps and finish off all her other moves with enough grace and finesse to show she's the best in the world.

shine

Record Breaker
Rochette! For me she's THE complete package at this moment and more. She'll be competing at Cup of China and the French GP. Big chance of making the GPF this year! I hope she does well! Go Joannie!!! :love:

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
Which lady will win?

If the audience has its way, it will be Irina Slutskaya at Worlds and Carolina Kostner for OGM. (BTW, has Carolina changed her name to "Cara" yet?) I also believe that any of the "young wonders" (Ando, Phaneuf, etc.) who is not on the podium in 2005 will not win the OGM.

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
attyfan said:
(BTW, has Carolina changed her name to "Cara" yet?)
Her nickname is "Caro."

Edited: Duh, I can't spell. Her nickname is "Cara." (And has been for quite some time.)

Last edited:

Sk8swan

On the Ice
Her nickname is "Caro" not "Cara".
It often happens with Italian names when they're too long, you call the person just with the first half of it.

Kuchana

On the Ice
euterpe said:
So if Cynthia can win the GPF and has enough moxie to defeat Kwan, Cohen and the Japanese ladies at Moscow 2005, she will be going to Turin with the best chance of all.

The problem is Cynthia won SC despite falling twice in the FS because no one else skated better. She won't face Kwan and Cohen in the GPF, and it remains to be seen if she can beat Arakawa.

Given the rough edges that I've heard people say when they mention Cynthia, I highly doubt (crosses her fingers) that she has any hope of beating Shiz at GPF unless Shiz messes up horribly and I think her chances at medaling at '05 Worlds is dismal at best unless it's a splatfest (not tempting the skate gods).

Plus if she hopes to present a challenge, she better hone up on her presentation skills and fast. Turino is fast approaching. I have doubts if she can pull that off in that short amount of time but hey she might prove me wrong. If she does, I'll see another "Michelle" transformation since I've never seen any other female skater improve her presentation so dramatically and rapidly as she did:)

Kuchana

On the Ice
attyfan said:
If the audience has its way, it will be Irina Slutskaya at Worlds and Carolina Kostner for OGM. (BTW, has Carolina changed her name to "Cara" yet?) I also believe that any of the "young wonders" (Ando, Phaneuf, etc.) who is not on the podium in 2005 will not win the OGM.

Eeek. I'm wondering what the audience at Moscow is going to be like. Getting nervous at the thought.

Anoter thing, I don't think it's so important for someone to win Worlds in order to win Turino. I think they'll have more pressure if they do.

On one hand, I'd love to see Michelle get her 6th World title. Yet on the other, I wonder if it would be best if she didn't win and not have all the pressure foisted upon her as the last two did. I like the fact that people underestimate her just so she can prove them wrong! :yes: