15Edita HORNAKOVA / Radek JAKUBKA CZE117.551513video
16Hailey Esther KOPS / Artem TSOGLIN ISR106.011616

SubRosa

I love Lussi
Final Flight
Country
Canada
Random thoughts:

Not seeing any pairs from Russia, Canada, China or USA that could readily challenge the seniors already in place in these countries.

I'm more excited about the young Czechs, Germans and Ukrainians. Maybe because, with little competition in their home countries, they actually stand a chance of making it to Euros, Worlds, Olympics in the next quadrennium, if they keep developing.

Wishing Pavliuchenko and Ialin were a pair, so they could skate brooding, intense programs together.

Hoping to see more of Pavliuchenko, whomever she skates with. Girl can out-Stolbova Stolbova.

slider11

Medalist
Impressive skating by the Russians albeit some technical glitches with the second and third pair. But, honestly, I thought the component marks for Daria and Denis were way too high. Did anyone notice that they were skating to "Chicago"? Certainly the skaters had no concept of that theme. With their many technical mistakes, I enjoyed the Cirque de Soleil performance of Polina and Dmitri more.

starla16

Medalist
Pvayluchenko if she keeps her grit post puberty will be a very good pair skater. Khodykin looks awkward and needs posture and skating skills improvements.

with that said, Mishina / Galliamova have good senior prospects. Not sold on Kostiukovich and Ialin, they will probably break up in a year or two because of her puberty issues.

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
I think Mishina/Galiamov deserved silver here, but they're well on their way to seniors. If they can upgrade their combo to a 3-3, they might even have a chance to surpass Z/E and A/R next season.

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
I'm catching up to what I missed out since I couldn't watch this live (went to finally see The Shape of Water).
So far I have only seen the gold and silver medalists FS and today was really not the day for Polina's jumps. :palmf: Also, maybe it's just me and very likely it's because they're still young, but I'm not finding Daria and Denis to be very in sync together, at least during the moments where they should be matching their skating. Maybe because I don't think their lines go very well together? They have one fantastic twist, though, and those throw jumps were lovely.

Edit: Mishina/Galiamov had my favorite FS of the top 3.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
The US team in fifth place is young enough to do another year in juniors!

Lu & Mitofanov have improved a lot since the fall series! I just hope Lu does not grow too much, and gains some core strength. I like the fact that Misha can do a really nice spiral. I wish they would go to Fontana, Kerr & Zimmerman in Florida to train along side James & Cipres. I would not rule out their chances of success in seniors. That 3S 1Lp 3S is very cool, and was the highest scoring combo in the competition.

Feng has come a long way in pairs for an ice dancer, and Nyman is very young for a pairs guy. You don't usually see a junior pair where the guy is younger. I wish they held positions longer! I wonder whether they will split? Nyman could do several years more in juniors, but Feng is aging out...

Last edited:

hanca

Record Breaker
Random thoughts:

Not seeing any pairs from Russia, Canada, China or USA that could readily challenge the seniors already in place in these countries.

I'm more excited about the young Czechs, Germans and Ukrainians. Maybe because, with little competition in their home countries, they actually stand a chance of making it to Euros, Worlds, Olympics in the next quadrennium, if they keep developing.

Wishing Pavliuchenko and Ialin were a pair, so they could skate brooding, intense programs together.

Hoping to see more of Pavliuchenko, whomever she skates with. Girl can out-Stolbova Stolbova.

I can’t talk about Canada and China, but I think you are wrong about Russia. Russia currently had only four good senior pairs. From that Tarasova/Morozov are unreachable at this moment, but Stolbova/Klimov are injured far too often, Astakhova/Rogonov are very up and down , inconsistent, and Zabijako/Enbert don’t even have the technical difficulties. They struggle with two side by side triples. Until recently they didn’t even do two throw triples, they kept insisting on doing double axel throw, hoping that it will miraculously turn into triple. They did get to GPF and placed fourth but I think it was more a lucky chance than indication of their skills. Both A/R and Z/E are beatable. Maybe not immediately, it may take a year or two, but they definitely are not secure up there. And if either of A/R or Z/E gets beaten and S/K are off with injury, suddenly there is a spot available.

oleada

Record Breaker
I think pairs is also a discipline where the difference between seniors and juniors is really great. Sui/Han had success fairly quickly, but even they struggled to make the senior Chinese team. These teams are all quite young (the podium all has multiple years left of junior eligibility) and trying quite difficult programs, especially relative to how junior programs used to be. Ten years ago, the winning team had a 2Tw and no side by side triples. Now, to be a top junior team you need a good 3Tw and at least one SBS triple, but more likely two. I think that the teams have the raw goods, but they need time to grow.

I enjoyed this competition. Lots of difficult content attempted and lots of goods performances.

I wonder if Pavlyuchenko/Khodykin will go senior. It would make sense - lots of post Olympics retirements, spots opening up. I imagine Mishina/Galiamov and Kostiukovich/Ialin will stay junior, though I think M/G look the most senior of the three.

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
Copying this over from the 2019 Spots thread for convenience!

2019 World Junior Championships: Pairs

2018 Pairs results: http://www.isuresults.com/results/season1718/wjc2018/CAT003RS.HTM

3 Spots

Russia - RUS - (1 + 2 = 3)
United States - USA - (5 + 8 = 13) - Up from 2 spots!

2 Spots

China - CHN - (4 + 12 = 16)
Canada - CAN - (6 + 9 = 15)
Germany - GER - (7, only team) - Up from 1 spot!
Japan - JPN - (10, only team) - Up from 1 spot!

2018-2019 Junior Grand Prix: Pairs

A: 3 Entries in 4 Events - Top 4 placing countries

(1) Russia (RUS)
(2) China (CHN)
(3) United State (USA)
(4) Canada (CAN)

B: 2 Entry in 4 Events - Non-top-4 placing countries qualifying for the FS

Germany (GER), Japan (JPN), France (FRA), Spain (ESP), Ukraine (UKR), Czech Republic (CZE), Israel (ISR)

C: 1 Entry in 4 Events - Countries competing who do not qualify for the FS

Italy (ITA)

All other countries wishing to send Pairs teams to the JGP can send 1 entry to each of 3 events.

lavoix

Match Penalty
And Russia didn't even send Boikova/Kozlovskii, so Russia does have big potential in pairs.

chameleon

On the Ice
Nyman could do several years more in juniors, but Feng is aging out...
I believe she has one more year in juniors. They've come really far in just their first season, so it may be that they progress enough over the next that they feel ready to move up to seniors.

3T3T

Final Flight
Country
Ireland
Wel done to the Juniors Pairs. Nice to see a Russian sweep. I think P/K deserved the title, I’m don’t think Chicago suits them but there is no denying their abilities. She is a very good performer but I think he needs to work on that sides of his skating. They would be competitive at the senior level, it will be interesting to see how they progress.

It wasn’t the best skate from K/I and I was surprised to see them in second. Their tech is impressive but she didn’t have a good day. She was great in the K&C, bit of a diva and delighted with her silver medal. My favourites were M/G, it’s good to see her back and winning medals. She was a bit unhappy in the K&C but he was very supportive to her. I wouldn’t be surprised to see them on the Senior GP next season. They could have scored more on PCS

I was very impressed with the Americans. It’s an odd combination of music but they do it well. Good tech content and good presentation, I would have them over 50 for PCS. I wonder though will she get to big for him? Does he have any famous Figure skating parents? The Chinese suffered with their jumps but they gave a nice performance, I would imagine they will be on Team China in Beijing 2022.

It’s a very small audience but I did enjoy the spiral flower girl, real star potential there😂

LadyB

Record Breaker
Perfectly delighted with the podium, it gives me hope that Russian pairs will continue to be at the top in future.
I loved all three pairs, but thought that K/I could do a notch better. I love what they're doing. Despite it being two different disciplines, they reminded me a bit of Gilles/Poirier music and movement wise.

I've noticed that M/G are training with Stolbova/Klimov's old coach Ludmilla Velikova, while K/I have trained with her husband, who was also involved in S/K's development. I like it!!!
It says in the ISU bio that P/K are working or have worked with Daniil Gleykhengauz. Another thing I like. :):hap10: