2018 Junior World Championships Ladies FS | Page 33 | Golden Skate

2018 Junior World Championships Ladies FS

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Kostornaia is my favourite, but contrary to all quad haters, I;m actually glad there is a girl who went for quads instead of backloading and tanoing everything. That's what really makes Ladies figure skating progress technically. Big props forTrusova and her team.

Btw. I'm kind of happy there was no Eteri with girls, both male coaches look much more friendly and genuinly happy for their pupils :)

Sk8rBoii

On the Ice
If quads become the next required thing in ladies' skating, I'm scared what it might do to some athletes. Already figure skating is a sport where injuries are frequent and oftentimes take a skater out for an entire season. Sometimes injuries even end careers.

Practising for quad jump will definitely bring about even more injuries, and I don't like to see children get hurt.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
You’re right. But I still find it annoying. The message shouldn’t me that Jason or Adam or any the junior men should be ashamed that a girl has more technical ability but simply that Alexandria is amaze balls.

I guess I don't see why the message needs to be that they should be ashamed. I don't see why there should be an implicit shame in being beaten by a girl... in fact I don't think Jason or Adam would feel any shame in it being outscored by a female with two quads.

Comparing her score to the guys as a scale of reference to me can be done... and should be done, in neutral way. Many of us like math and number here and I think we can look at things like this without degrading anyone. At least I would hope we can!

I guess it just matters how things are done. If it is for numbers it is fine if it is to disparage it is wrong.

schizoanalyst

Medalist
Holy cow. If the PCS factoring was the same as the men, Trusova would have won the men's event.

Trusova doesn't need to learn a triple axel to be competitive. If she did, she undoubtedly wouldn't have the (sort-of rotated) quads because all the time would be spent trying to get a better axel technique.

icybear

Medalist
I dont think Alexandra quads will stand puberty. She's 13. By the time she's 15 and able to compete in senior I think the quads will fade off

EVAMARIA

On the Ice
At least Alena got the higher pcs of the night. But a 1 pt margin is dumb. Trusova was basically a jump practice. This is why skaters dont bother to work on SS and artistry because the judges dont give out PCS appropriately.

It couldn't been said better!

Warwick360

Medalist
Oh, lord. Didn't know Trusova had such long hair. It's like she did a transformation off ice. :shocked:

CAS

On the Ice
There is a point where the hair is too long it doesn't look good. Trusova passed that at least 6 inches ago.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Kostornaia is my favourite, but contrary to all quad haters, I;m actually glad there is a girl who went for quads instead of backloading and tanoing everything. That's what really makes Ladies figure skating progress technically. Big props forTrusova and her team.

Btw. I'm kind of happy there was no Eteri with girls, both male coaches look much more friendly and genuinly happy for their pupils :)

I agree the contrast was nice. I enjoyed both skates and to think I almost skipped it (I’m not super invested in ladies). I want the sport to be pushed both technically and in the over program structure/artistically.

slider11

Medalist
Whoa! Alexandra's hair is........LONG! Weighs more than her body weight! I guess she thinks this is cool. Now I know we're watching juniors!

jillredhand

Record Breaker
Certainly a fine array of talented juniors. But let's not get ahead of ourselves with who will be challenging for the podium in 2022. These young ladies have the challenge of puberty and many other unknowns such as current talents who may sustain and grow. Throw in unexpected injuries and other bad luck and the future is foggy. But I must admit that the Russian schools are producing some awesome yearlings!

Yeah, it's weird-- but four years ago, Zagitova wasn't on the radar, and Medvedeva was only winning bronzes. We're prophesying Trusova and Kosternaia dominance-- but four years ago, conventional wisdom was that was going to be Radionova and Tuktamysheva, right? Who the heck even knows what's going to happen over the next four years.