Predictions for NHK Trophy | Golden Skate

Predictions for NHK Trophy

SailorGalaxia518

Record Breaker
This is something I am starting new. I want you to place your predictions of skaters from each of the four disciplines, who you will think will medal.

Note: Doesn't have to be in any order just have to list three

My predictions are:

Pairs:
1. Pang/Tong (CHN)
2. Petrova/Tikhonov (RUS) if they compete
3. Inoue/Baldwin (USA)

Men:
1.Timothy Goebel (USA)
2. Johnny Weir (USA)
3. Michael Weiss (USA)

Dance:
1. Navka/Kostomarov (RUS)
2. Denkova/Staviski (BUL)
3. Gregory/Petukhov (USA)

Ladies:
1. Shizuka Arakawa (JPN)
2. Miki Ando (JPN)
3. Yoshie Onda (JPN)

Johnny got a warm up last year with Finlandia - his Campbells was more to be desired; Tim has had his problems but he made a good attempt at a comeback in Campbells. Mike seems more solid this year by getting rid of that pseudo patriotic music. I would pick Johnny. It's a guess because these three guys have to be serious this year. Looking forward to seeing Cheglang, and a renewed Honda. Hard to pick all three placements.

Shizuka will outperform Miki for the win. If Bebe is without injury she will be on the podium. Viktoria and Elena S will do their perfect lutzes but not much else. I see Yoshie coming on strong. Hard to pick beyond lst place.

Pang and Tong should be a shoo in. Petrova and Tkhonov are trying too hard to make their presentation natural. It's not for them. Big tricks will get them on the podium. I'm not big on Rene and Baldwin but I like them better than the Polish team. Z&S, however, carry a lot of sentimental value. Hard to pick third place.

I think, or maybe it is wishful thinking, that D&S will outscore N&K. Both teams are shoo-ins for gold and silver. I think, too, that the French team will be on the podium but I am more anxious to see if the improvements in Gregory and Petukhov are really happening.

If your skating interests go beyond Kwan and Cohen, this contest should be one of the more interesting segments in the Grand Prix.

Joe

Peaches1972

Rinkside
My predictions

My predictions are:

Pairs:
1. Pang/Tong (CHN)
2. Inoue/Baldwin (USA)
3. Zagorska /Siudek

Men:
1.Timothy Goebel (USA)
2. Michael Weiss (USA)
3. Johnny Weir (USA)

Dance:
1. Navka/Kostomarov (RUS)
2. Denkova/Staviski (BUL)
3. Gregory/Petukhov (USA)

Ladies:
1. Shizuka Arakawa (JPN)
2. Yoshie Onda (JPN)
3. Ameber Corwin
4. Miki Ando

I think Ando has more pressure this years then last year and will not do as well.

itofan

On the Ice
Ladies- Japanese Sweep!!!

1. Shizuka Arakawa
2. Yoshie Onda (Would love for her to win) :rock:
3. Miki Ando
4. Elena Liashenko
5. Elena Sokolova (I hope she has a better year than last year) :)
6. Viktoria Volchkova

Men- American Sweep!!!

1. Tim Goebel :)
2. Michael Weiss
3. Johnny Weir
4. Chenjiang Li
5. Takeshi Honda

Pairs

1. Pang & Tong
2. Petrova & Tikhonov
3. Inoue & Baldwin, jr. :)
4. Zagorska & Siudek
5. Wakamatsu & Fecteau :)

Dance

1. Navka & Kostomarov
2. Denkova & Staviski
3. Delobel & Schoenfelder
4. Kulikova & Novikov
5. Gregory & Petukhov

m_monia

Spectator
Have seen new program of Zagorska/Siudek? I think if they skate both programs clean they will win...

Axel

Spectator
You have right m_monia. Siudek's new programs are very good and they should win. I don't know why do you think that Inoue & Baldwin will take place before Zagorska & Siudek.??

SailorGalaxia518

Record Breaker
I think Inoue and Baldwin have a chance considering they have both a difficult short and long programs, especially if they can land the side-by-side triple lutzes cleanly.

Axel

Spectator
SailorGalaxia518 said:
I think Inoue and Baldwin have a chance considering they have both a difficult short and long programs, especially if they can land the side-by-side triple lutzes cleanly.

But Z/S have a really difficult lift and better twist.

SailorGalaxia518

Record Breaker
I don't know. I haven't seen Z/S on TV yet so I don't know what to expect from them. I have seen however I/B during the Skate America coverage. Either way, I don't care which one of them is on the podium. I do like Z/S elegant skating.

M_mona and Axel, welcome to the forum and thanks for posting. I hope you like it here.

Mathman:)

Hikaru

Final Flight
I haven't thought of my whole predictions, but I'm counting on Johnny, SHizuka, Qing and Jian, and Tatiana and Roman, 'cause I already made my picks for the SoS magazine :love: !! :laugh:

About Inoue and Baldwin, IMO I think they still need to conenct better with each other and be more consistent, however I do see a better improvement from last year. Their throws are better for what I saw in SA, and I hope they can keep them like that. I liked their choice of music too.

DILNG

Spectator
Shizuka Arakawa :)
Elena Sokolova
Miki Ando
Yoshi Onda

Timothy Goebel
Takeshi Honda :)
Michael Weiss
Chengjiang Li

Zagorska/Siudek
Pang/Tong