Evgenia Medvedeva withdraws from Worlds 2018 | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Evgenia Medvedeva withdraws from Worlds 2018

Fruitpie

On the Ice
Anti-Russian poster or not, I'll admit I'm concerned about Evgenia's future. I think she loves competing, but with this injury + the realization that she's unlikely to get another Olympic chance in 4 years (the crazy depth in Russian ladies) + the overall effort her jumps looked to have taken this season makes me a little concerned.

I kept hope alive for Adelina and Yulia to make their comebacks for too much time to not have some worries....

Imagine this!
4 years from now on. New stars are two 15 year olds with quads. Zagi, Sasha, etc. are injured or not with Eteri anymore. Somehow Zhenya is able to skate two clean programs. But third olympic spot is given to ... Konstantinova. Who, of course, had a disasturous short program, but 79 PCS in the long.

MIM

Medalist
Hope speedy and FULL recovery for Evgenia. She probably had rushed her recovery for the Olympics... I agree that now is the time to rest, take care of her body, and make a strategy to thrive next seasons!!

Good luck to Konstantinova! Her skating at the JWC reminds me of Evgenia in good and bad ways. She muscles jumps to happen and uses upper-body way too much. But for sure, she is a very emotive skater. She needs polishing and refinement, but I can see why Russian Fed favors her. They see an Evgenia's star quality in her. IMO

millie

Medalist
This is a constant anti-russian poster, you can just ignore their posts :)

Just thinking about Evgenia’s recovery. She is going to be off the ice for awhile and not training.. By the time she gets back on her feet training and skating, those little quad girls are still training and going to surpass her. Out with old and in with the new. Alina is still number 1 and is going to gard to catch...see i’m not an anti- Russian poster. I love Alina and so happy that she won the Olympic Gold...

russianfan

Match Penalty
Just thinking about Evgenia’s recovery. She is going to be off the ice for awhile and not training.. By the time she gets back on her feet training and skating, those little quad girls are still training and going to surpass her. Out with old and in with the new. Alina is still number 1 and is going to gard to catch...see i’m not an anti- Russian poster. I love Alina and so happy that she won the Olympic Gold...

those quad girls aren't going to move up to seniors tomorrow... her only rival is Alina

charlotte14

Medalist
Lighting a candle for Sotskova, Russian’s 3 spots is on her shoulders now.

I don’t trust Konstantinova. That’s all.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
At least this time Zagitova will not face the disappointment of Russian legends about her Victory cause she beat their favorite.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Lighting a candle for Sotskova, Russian’s 3 spots is on her shoulders now.

I don’t trust Konstantinova. That’s all.

It's crazy, all the talk of Russia's depth in ladies and there is legitimate concern over keeping 3 spots. If the event is skated like the Olympics, a score of ~180 for either Sotskova or Konstantinova should do it. It's hard to imagine both of them missing that mark, especially Maria. If Zagitova wins or places second, the other two Russians don't even need to beat Caro, Dabin, both Canadians, both Japanese, or all three Americans to keep three spots.

russianfan

Match Penalty
It's crazy, all the talk of Russia's depth in ladies and there is legitimate concern over keeping 3 spots. If the event is skated like the Olympics, a score of ~180 for either Sotskova or Konstantinova should do it. It's hard to imagine both of them missing that mark, especially Maria. If Zagitova wins or places second, the other two Russians don't even need to beat Caro, Dabin, both Canadians, both Japanese, or all three Americans to keep three spots.

Russia's depth in ladies has nothing to do with stupid fed choices.

leilaraj

On the Ice
I find Konstantinova compared to other russian skaters totally unsuitable, but I guess it´s a personal thing, since I fond her skating horrendous. In my opinion she does not have the artistry and technicality people (rusfeds/tarasova) are holding her up for. I wish Pogorilaya would make a bomb ass comeback with confidence over the top but I feel that is not going to happen

icybear

Medalist
I hope the Russian fed aren't seriously going to send Konstantinova to Worlds. She couldn't even get onto the podium against a bunch of kids. I hope they send Polina, she has a bigger chance of medalling than her.

SimplyLex

On the Ice
YES Gubanova would be a great alternative but I guess Stasya has more `experience`
in the international field

Of course she has more experience, she's turning 18 this year and competed at Jr Worlds against little girls. Nastya is an actual junior who has been robbed of that opportunity TWICE (once at Russian nats, and second time right now). I can't even say how angry I am. I don't understand why Zhenya didn't announce it earlier to give the other girls more chance to have their dreams come true.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
She doesn't have to do anything for Gubanova.
Evgenia is a senior-level skater who has proven herself without a doubt over the past two years. She's a seasoned competitor, but being injured is still relatively new to her. I would not expect someone like her to withdraw as a precaution a month before Worlds, which is the amount of time needed to get Gubanova over from Switzerland, where she was skating in a show!, to Bulgaria for JWC. I would not expect for Evgenia to give up like that; she thinks that what she's doing right now is disappointing and is probably heartbroken over it and not getting the chance to defend her title. I'd rather see her do what she did and pull out to heal up rather than skate injured, and I'll take it at any time. Sui/Han announced their withdrawal a few days ago, as did Yuzuru, and it's not like the draw is in two days and she's leaving her teammates with no chance to pull in a substitute. She's doing everything exactly right.

But you just wanted her to announce it earlier for the sake of another skater. That's not right--Evgenia doesn't need to bend over backwards to make sure that Gubanova can go to JWC. If it were any other skater going, you wouldn't care at all, but now that it's Konstantinova going, you're suddenly furious. It's not her fault either--she doesn't score herself and she didn't know that Evgenia would have to withdraw. I'd expect her to take any assignment and I certainly wouldn't expect her to just withdraw from JWC in favor of WC just so that another skater can go. She needs WS points and knows it, she needed a chance at a higher score to increase her reputation, and she needed to take what she was offered. She had no idea that Evgenia would have withdrawn and Evgenia can announce her withdrawal whenever she **** wants as long as a sub can get there in time.

If it were Panenkova, or Tarakanova, or Vasilieva, or Tarusina, and not Gubanova, would you even care? Probably not... you only care because you like Gubanova. Maybe if she hadn't blown her JGP, she would've gotten a second one and a higher SB to go senior next year, and wouldn't have needed JWC. Contrary to what you might think, the world doesn't stop to suit Gubanova and her crazy fans. Konstantinova does not owe anything to Gubanova in terms of withdrawals, and neither does EVGENIA MEDVEDEVA.

At least you were correct in one thing, it is awful to think that. We've all had thoughts like that, but I've never seen one so spiteful as that. You want Konstantinova to feel the same emotions that Pogorilaya did at Worlds last year? or what Kostner probably thought at Europeans before she saw her massive score?

I hope Konstantinova makes the most of the opportunities that she's been given and skates for herself. I hope Evgenia doesn't hear of these sorts of thoughts and concentrates on healing and preparing for next season. And I hope that the Russian ladies are dominant at Worlds no matter what.

Tulipstar

Medalist
With Meds withdrawing, there will be a little more space for other deserving ladies to get a medal.
I hope Wakaba gets a medal. It would be great for her career and put her on the map as a frontrunner foregood. Between her and Satoko, they might get 3 spots back.

I would have preferred Polina as well, but let's see what Stanislava can do.

As for Gubanova; I think she has a tough season ahead of her if she stays a junior. The junior field is supercrowded with absolute powerhouses, especially if Anna S. is back to her best form by then. Added to this, there might be some 13 year old new Russian stars entering the field.

I guess Sofia Samodurova will turn senior, as this gives her some time to build a reputation away from Trusova and co. We saw what happened to Gubanova; one fourth place finish and she was out of the JGP. Even a second place finish might not be enough, as happened to Gulyakova, who did not get a second JGP spot after getting a silver (!) medal for her first. So, ironically, I think Samodurova will have an easier time in the senior field.

I can see Samodurova get a spot at next year's worlds. Sadly to say, in two years world spots will probably be unobtainable for the likes of Tuk, Pogo, Radionova etc, and perhaps even Sotskova and Samodurova. So they really need to grab their chance in the coming season.

vorravorra

Record Breaker
I hope the Russian fed aren't seriously going to send Konstantinova to Worlds. She couldn't even get onto the podium against a bunch of kids. I hope they send Polina, she has a bigger chance of medalling than her.
Did you see Polina at the Russian Cup Final? She is not in a good shape right now.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Sotskova was 8th at 2017 Worlds, 2nd at the 2017-2018 GPF and 8th at the Olympics---I don't see any reason for the doom and gloom about her placement at Worlds this year. Masha is a far more consistent performer than Konstantinova, so IMO Russia's 3 spots are safe.