Evgenia Medvedeva withdraws from Worlds 2018 | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Evgenia Medvedeva withdraws from Worlds 2018

russianfan

Match Penalty
Elena has been in Switzerland touring with Art on Ice. There's no way she would be in proper condition to compete now. I'm deeply disappointed, but I'm really just over these Worlds, basically. It's not going to be a competition of the best and brightest. Not sure how much I will even pay attention (except to root for my 2 favorite boys, of course).

No Yuzu, Javi, Medvedeva, V/M, if i'm not mistaken, who else?
At least thx god Alina seems to be going, otherwise i probably wouldn't even watch this..

Scott512

Record Breaker
Anna Pogo is still out with a bad back injury, and as of last month had yet to even be diagnosed fully on what's wrong. Elena though, she's healthy and I really think she's hungry to prove herself. I'd much rather see her or Tsurskaya get this chance that Konstantinova, who just had a score precedent (didn't break 200, even with a clean free) set at junior worlds that I doubt will do her favors at senior worlds. Even her personal best score at a low-pressure CS competition is under 200, and worlds is not low pressure. I like Konstantinova's energy on the ice and enjoy watching her perform, but with Sotskova proving inconsistent I really want the Russian fed to make sure there's another girl with a high score ceiling on the team just in case. It would be a huge tragedy if Russia somehow went down to 2 spots, even 3 doesn't feel like enough with such a deep field.
But they would get the 3 spots back next year when they have at Zhenya, Alina and Alena. Sasha may still be too young.

Thank you for that info on Anna. I am sad she is still hurt. I hope bringing Stanislava in does not backfire on Russia.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
No Yuzu, Javi, Medvedeva, V/M, if i'm not mistaken, who else?
At least thx god Alina seems to be going, otherwise i probably wouldn't even watch this..

Sui/Han, Stolbova/Klimov...and of course others who were going to retire anyway, but will still make this seem like an even more watered down competition in every discipline

Alifyre

On the Ice
But they would get the 3 spots back next year when they have at Zhenya, Alina and Alena. Sasha may still be too young.

While Alena and Sasha are certainly bright stars who are exciting and certainly worth keeping 3 spots over, there are plenty of other Russian ladies who it would be a complete shame to deny a spot to next year while we wait for them to come up the ranks. Eteri's girls are not the only talented Russians, and if there were only two spots for Russia next year it would still be a significant loss for the Russian field overall.

EDIT: I saw you updated your message after I quoted you, sorry! Yeah, I'm also very sad about Anna. It's always tragic when talent gets sidelined due to injury. I am SO hoping Stanislava isn't a mistake, because I am still praying Anna will make a glorious comeback next year to claim that 3rd slot. And if she doesn't, there's plenty of other well deserving ladies who should have their shot at euros and worlds.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Oh no Zhenya :cry: my little bearcub please heal up

also, what if Sotskova pulls an Olympics or last year's worlds only worse and then we end up with two spots because they refuse to send a replacement who is dependable...

Oh man. Japan having just 2 spots is bad. Russia having 2 spots would be catastrophic/unthinkable.

andromache

Record Breaker
Sui/Han, Stolbova/Klimov...and of course others who were going to retire anyway, but will still make this seem like an even more watered down competition in every discipline

Shoot, I didn't see that S/H withdrew! Ugh, I was looking forward to a S/H versus S/M rematch.

Personally, I'm looking forward to the magical moments that skaters who haven't won any World/Olympic medals might be able to have with some of the favorites absent. (I NEED James/Cipres to win a medal!!!)

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
It was decided at Russian Nationals, so why moan about it now? Would be unfair to send another skater. And I also fully believe that Maria Sotskova can win a silver medal, or podium. Did we forget that she did all that at GPF and she wasn't THAT bad at Europeans either?

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Oh my just heard the news. I guess the rumors were true. Wishing Med a speedy recovery.

Bufo viridis

Rinkside
I'm happy she isn't pushing herself unnecessarily. Now I have one less thing to stress over. I've been so nervous at the Olympics because of her injury.
Get ready for next season Zhenya!

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
It was decided at Russian Nationals, so why moan about it now? Would be unfair to send another skater. And I also fully believe that Maria Sotskova can win a silver medal, or podium. Did we forget that she did all that at GPF and she wasn't THAT bad at Europeans either?

Well, she could. But she has always peaked earlier in the season, and that's a real problem for her.
If we're going by SB to determine placements:
Alina Zagitova
Kaetlyn Osmond
Satoko Miyahara
Wakaba Higuchi
Maria Sotskova
Carolina Kostner
Bradie Tennell
Elizabet Tursynbaeva
Stanislava Konstantinova
Dabin Choi

we should also not count out Daleman who is hungry for redemption after the Olympics
(her SB is 196)

However, there's many girls in between Kostner and Tennell:
Sakamoto
Mihara
Tsurskaya
Kostornaya (not age eligible)
Radionova

and of course, Trusova (not age eligible) is in between Osmond and Miyahara
while Anastasia Tarakanova (not age eligible) is in between Konstantinova and Choi

also worth noting that Konstantinova's SB was earned at a senior competition, meaning that the PCS bump was already taken into account. and she is still below 200.

Also worth noting that the Higuchi-Sotskova-Kostner SB order is all within two points of each other. So Sotskova could end up 7th here, probably.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Russian Senior field is not so deep since Rusfed didn't find someone better than Konstantinova to send at worlds, and people say that Sotskova and Konstantinova can make Russia lost her 3 spots.

Panenkova and Gubanova should move up seniors next season.

yoloaxel

Record Breaker

Because with Med out there is a serious chance that Russia may lose the 3rd spot if Kostantinova doesn't place well. Polina's SB is much higher than hers and would be much more helpful in keeping 3 spots.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
Russian Senior field is not so deep since Rusfed didn't find someone better than Konstantinova to send at worlds, and people say that Sotskova and Konstantinova can make Russia lost her 3 spots.

Panenkova and Gubanova should move up seniors next season.

Well, Tsurskaya would have been a better choice. Heck, even Radionova would have been a better choice.
About Panenkova, yes, she should. She's guaranteed at least one GP and will probably get 2.
But Gubanova is 70th on the SB list. She's not likely to get a GP spot, let alone 2. There are 14 Russians who are senior eligible ahead of her, plus skaters who aren't, like Trusova, Kostornaya, and Tarakanova

Danibellerika

Medalist
I think Sots will be back to her usual self, just hanging in there, for this worlds. She'll want redemption. I don't even know why we are entertaining Russia losing a spot. Not happening. Even with her bad short Sots was still top 10 at the olys which is more than enough. Get well soon, Med!!

BlueCat28

Match Penalty
What a trooper, she competed in PC with her foot hurting and still gave 3 incredible performances.

I hope she takes all the time she needs to rest and heal and then comes back next season with a vengeance! Get better soon Zhenya! :ghug:

The point is she didnt give incredible performances. I mean technically. But still she got very high goe for her jumps which were worse then ever. It was not refelcted in protocols at all. It looked like she was perfect , like she was skating without any injure

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Because with Med out there is a serious chance that Russia may lose the 3rd spot if Kostantinova doesn't place well. Polina's SB is much higher than hers and would be much more helpful in keeping 3 spots.

Alina will win Worlds. Maria must place 13th or lower, with Konstantinova also placing lower to lose the third spot. Call me an optimist, but I see absolutely no problem here.