Evgenia Medvedeva withdraws from Worlds 2018 | Page 9 | Golden Skate

Evgenia Medvedeva withdraws from Worlds 2018

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
On the bright side, all the stars are aligning for Carolina to get a final medal. If she gives even a half decent skate, a bronze should be easy...especially since Satoko's URs can be called at any second if the judges want to.

And i hope that she will finally retire. Letting others get medals that they deserve.

russianfan

Match Penalty
And who would have ever predicted a Polina LP program from last season? Maria has shown vulnerability and the 3rd Russian lady is as of yet, unknown. Also, who is guaranteeing Alina a podium finish at Worlds (insert GP France SP and a 62 and change, here) ?

Again, ice is slippery and anything can and will happen.

do you really doubt Alina's podium finish? wow, the girl who was undefeated the whole season? i know, weird things can happen, but missing the podium?

Lily flowers

On the Ice
And who would have ever predicted a Polina LP program from last season? Maria has shown vulnerability and the 3rd Russian lady is as of yet, unknown. Also, who is guaranteeing Alina a podium finish at Worlds (insert GP France SP and a 62 and change, here) ?

Again, ice is slippery and anything can and will happen.

With a 62 but that unbeatable free still won her the competition.
Ice is slippery yes but the example that you brought up strengths the chances of her winning rather than makes us doubt it.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Zagitova has won every competition since the JGP Final 2016/17: 2017 JW, 2017 Lombardia Trophy, 2017 CoC, 2017 TDF, 2017-18 GPF, 2018 Russian Nationals, 2018 Europeans, 2018 Olympics. That's NINE competitions in a row. So she is not only undefeated this season, she has a long undefeated string reaching back into last season.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
As for Evgenia, it is unfortunate. Next season will realistically the last one she can relax with only her and Alina...after that the floodgates will be open and she may not even make it out of Nationals.

I doubt that even next season she can relax.

rosy14

Final Flight
Well i can only speculate. But lets say - Trusova will have nearly the scores Zagitova are having now (near 70). Cause Zagitova had almost the same PCS in juniors, maybe point or two higher. Lets say that Kostornays scores could be at Zagitovas level (70+), if we are following that trend. You can see for example that Mateo Rizzo total PCS at Oly were 113, but at Juniors world only 104. I think i was clear while explaining it, you just need to look all the data, not only the ones which are in 'your favour'.

Actually Matteo skated better at the Oly than at Junior Worlds, where he popped two jumps in the LP. And that, of course, impacted not only the TES, but the PCS too.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
:ddevil: this makes me mad. I have nothing against Stanislava; however, they unfairly pulled her ahead of clean and beautiful Gubanova at Russian juniors, and now she is going to seniors as well? Last year, she also, for no reason, went to Junior Worlds instead of Gubanova, who deserved her place simply because she was second at JGPF after Zagitova.
It was obvious that Med was not going to Worlds - she was doing so much of tv-appearances, photo sessions, interviews, commercials, etc. and was not seen on the ice when they filmed Eteri's group. And I see why - injury or not, if both skated clean she would again lose to Zagitova, so why to do that when she is already two-time world champ, and also to lose all those money/promotion opportunities she got after Olympics?
They must have known that straight after the Games - and that's why it pisses me off. They should have called Gubanova for Junior Worlds. This girl could fight for silver there if clean as she was most of the season.

Was Gubanova clean? yes. were her toe jumps still ridiculously ugly and in need of revamping? yes.
if people deserve their place simply by placing at the JGPF, then we wouldn't have had this discussion -- Anastasia Tarakanova would've gone (and would've medaled)
and they had no way of knowing about Evgenia. Making assumptions about this sort of thing is incredibly wrong.

rosy14

Final Flight
Unless this is a Stolbova situation (where they are hiding doping behind injuries) i don't see this happening, sorry.

Yes Medvedeva this year wasn't as confident as she was in the past, but she is a fighter, she won't let this go, and she can still win so many other gold medals.

There are so many legendary skaters who never won the gold medal at the Olympics, that doesn't mean the other medals are somehow meaningless.

The bash fest against Konstantinova has to go: yes she is pushed by the federation, and yes there are probably more talented skaters in Russia but she skated a great free at Nationals, she is not bad by any means, she has definitely her own unique style of skating which is big and powerful, plus she doesn't have to deal with puberty so likely she will keep the technique.

Also guilty confession: i like her long more than Tsurskaya's FS.

Excuse me, Sir. but the evidence of Stolbova's doping ?

rosy14

Final Flight
This literally doesn't make any sense. Eteri has nothing to do with how RusFed works nor with the results at RusNats.

Eteri is giving Russia medals on medals, and RusFed doesn't agree with her on how she ranks her own athletes ???!!!
And with that horrible FS Eteri gave Polina, even if she would have skated it perfectly, she couldn't ever arrive higher that 4th or 5th.

yoloaxel

Record Breaker
Eteri is giving Russia medals on medals, and RusFed doesn't agree with her on how she ranks her own athletes ???!!!
And with that horrible FS Eteri gave Polina, even if she would have skated it perfectly, she couldn't ever arrive higher that 4th or 5th.

Please. Polina scored 210 at NHK with those programs! She is not the one who ranks the athletes, those are called judges.

Mirunna

Record Breaker
Was Gubanova clean? yes. were her toe jumps still ridiculously ugly and in need of revamping? yes.
if people deserve their place simply by placing at the JGPF, then we wouldn't have had this discussion -- Anastasia Tarakanova would've gone (and would've medaled)
and they had no way of knowing about Evgenia. Making assumptions about this sort of thing is incredibly wrong.

And yet if we look at how Gubanova and Stanislava skated at both Sr and Jr Nationals this season, we can clearly see how biased the national judges are. Gubanova would have beaten Stanislava on both occasions IMO if judged by international panel. There are many Jr ladies, not only Gubanova, who were more deserving based on their skating this season to go to Jr Worlds.
In Sr Worlds, I would literally die of laughter if Russia loses one spot because of their poor judgement. Elena R scored 196 and 205 on her two GP events. Polina was scored similar, with 210 and 195. Heck, even sending Serafima would make more sense because she at least scored 189 in Skate America.
Meanwhile, the girl they chose to send to Jr Worlds AND Sr Worlds managed to win in her career a single silver medal in the Jr Grand Prix circuit. That's it. I refuse to compare some scores she got on Senior B events this season with how the other girls scored on the GP circuit. I have absolutely nothing against her as a skater, I just do not understand why the federation pushes her up so much.
Meanwhile, wishing Evgenia a speedy recovery!

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
And yet if we look at how Gubanova and Stanislava skated at both Sr and Jr Nationals this season, we can clearly see how biased the national judges are. Gubanova would have beaten Stanislava on both occasions IMO if judged by international panel. There are many Jr ladies, not only Gubanova, who were more deserving based on their skating this season to go to Jr Worlds.
In Sr Worlds, I would literally die of laughter if Russia loses one spot because of their poor judgement. Elena R scored 196 and 205 on her two GP events. Polina was scored similar, with 210 and 195.

Lol .... me too! I actually like Stasya but the federation getting caught playing favorites would be hilarious. Que’s up the TAT interview :popcorn:

Tutto

Record Breaker
The 'evil' RusFed just can't do anything right - if they follow the rules and put on the team skaters who placed best at nationals - they are at fault if they chose by reputation/BoW -they are wrong too...:eek:hwell:
I get it that people are surprised that an unknown girl is to go to Worlds when the Russian ladies field is so deep, but ironically at a closer look the senior eligible ladies are not doing so well so Stanislava is not that surprising choice after all. As already were said by other posters, Anna, Elena, Liza, Polina all have problems either with injuries or their form. Of course there might be some politicking involved in addition - like not letting Eteri to dominate totally but mainly I think the Fed sees in Stanislava a star quality and wants to give her a chance (and I hope she'll use it well). I am not a fan (yet) but there is no denying that her speed and ice coverage could rival that's of Caro in her best days. Stanislava is also very expressive she just needs a bit of polish and most of all more consistency. Wishing her good luck in Milan!