Reality Check? | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Reality Check?

GS Forum Staff

Record Breaker
The Lutz corner is a place for people to go to ask questions and get advice about skating matters. Please keep in mind that when you give advice nothing obligates the person to follow your advice. Also if you doubt the claims someone makes then don't respond to them or, if you feel they are violating forum rules, report them using the triangle on the left hand side of post box near Send PM.

Please keep your posts positive and constructive. Thank you.

Illusiadude

Rinkside
The Lutz corner is a place for people to go to ask questions and get advice about skating matters. Please keep in mind that when you give advice nothing obligates the person to follow your advice. Also if you doubt the claims someone makes then don't respond to them or, if you feel they are violating forum rules, report them using the triangle on the left hand side of post box near Send PM.

Please keep your posts positive and constructive. Thank you.

I aim to respond to comments as respectfully as possible. Please let me know if I am overstepping any forum rules. My apologies if my post has caused a disturbance.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
I aim to respond to comments as respectfully as possible. Please let me know if I am overstepping any forum rules. My apologies if my post has caused a disturbance.

I think there is just some concern that what you claim is not true. Folks on the board who give advice really do want to help you out. They are generally a friendly and fun bunch but if they feel someone is either dismissing their advice or yanking their chain it can be frustrating. In the end it is the internet. No one can know who is telling the truth and who is not. I always err on the side of believing because for the most part it costs me nothing to believe them but my time.

Conversely, even if you are not telling the truth, everyone should know better than to stray into bickering. That can only provoke arguments or hurt feelings.

No matter what I wish you well in your goals to become a better skater.

Illusiadude

Rinkside
I think there is just some concern that what you claim is not true. Folks on the board who give advice really do want to help you out. They are generally a friendly and fun bunch but if they feel someone is either dismissing their advice or yanking their chain it can be frustrating. In the end it is the internet. No one can know who is telling the truth and who is not. I always err on the side of believing because for the most part it costs me nothing to believe them but my time.

Conversely, even if you are not telling the truth, everyone should know better than to stray into bickering. That can only provoke arguments or hurt feelings.

No matter what I wish you well in your goals to become a better skater.

I completely understand where they are coming from. If they are doubtful of my honest in saying what I can do, I have invited them to PM so I may provide them with a link to videos that I have taken. I’m just not very keen on posting them outright on the forum. I did not appreciate the responses of karne and some of things that Ic3Rabbit said (they say they are a pro, and for the sake of respect, I’d rather not offend someone who could one day be a colleague or connection [emoji28]). I really am just looking for advices and opinions; I’ve already received so much feedback and it’s amazing!

I’ve been lurking on the forum and finally decided to post. Honestly, everyone has been very kind even with their skepticism and I highly appreciate the community .

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
I completely understand where they are coming from. If they are doubtful of my honest in saying what I can do, I have invited them to PM so I may provide them with a link to videos that I have taken. I’m just not very keen on posting them outright on the forum. I did not appreciate the responses of karne and some of things that Ic3Rabbit said (they say they are a pro, and for the sake of respect, I’d rather not offend someone who could one day be a colleague or connection [emoji28]). I really am just looking for advices and opinions; I’ve already received so much feedback and it’s amazing!

I’ve been lurking on the forum and finally decided to post. Honestly, everyone has been very kind even with their skepticism and I highly appreciate the community .

I'm glad to hear it. I did send you a pm.
I understand not wanting to post videos of yourself publicly. It is totally understandable. Rabbit is very knowledgeable. So are a few others. They will not steer you wrong.
It took me years to come out of lurking. It can be intimidating but this is a fun place.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Having exchanged a PM with Illusiadude and seeing the videos I do believe that they are trying to get advice. :thank:

Best of luck to you Illusiadude!

Illusiadude

Rinkside
Having exchanged a PM with Illusiadude and seeing the videos I do believe that they are trying to get advice. :thank:

Best of luck to you Illusiadude!

Thank you, ancientpeas! If you’d like to see the videos yourself, please PM me. I also welcome tips on technique :)

tothepointe

On the Ice
I think you have to take into context how many threads there have been since the Olympics asking the same basic question. Can I start at a late age and make it to the Olympics. (Yes I just joined recently myself but I've been reading this forum for years without joining in) I think the more this question gets asked the less positive people feel about the situation.

Because with as many people asking if they can be that one exception to the rule means they can't all be.

It is unfortunate that this is a sport where it has to be decided for you before you really even know what you want. Ballet is the same way now. In my mother's era you wouldn't even start training until 11-12 and you would audition for the Royal Ballet at about that with no experience expected. Now you have to take age 3-5 and be on pointe by that age. The physical expectations are so much higher that training MUST be spread out over a longer period. Also competiting in Youth Grand Prix is almost a necessity to get into a decent company.

Illusiadude

Rinkside
I think you have to take into context how many threads there have been since the Olympics asking the same basic question. Can I start at a late age and make it to the Olympics. (Yes I just joined recently myself but I've been reading this forum for years without joining in) I think the more this question gets asked the less positive people feel about the situation.

Because with as many people asking if they can be that one exception to the rule means they can't all be.

I completely see where you’re coming from. The Olympics would be a dream, but I know my chances of making it on the US is basically zero as they only pick the best of the best of the BEST.

I know that some athletes are able to skate for another country, though. How does that work? (I’m not trying to sound pretentious, but if it may be a viable option, it’s an option!)

tothepointe

On the Ice
I completely see where you’re coming from. The Olympics would be a dream, but I know my chances of making it on the US is basically zero as they only pick the best of the best of the BEST.

I know that some athletes are able to skate for another country, though. How does that work? (I’m not trying to sound pretentious, but if it may be a viable option, it’s an option!)

It's really not an option to skate for the Phillipines. Many people have that same idea and you'd be at the back of the line. There are many citizens of your country that live and train here in the US and decide to switch over once it is apparent that they will not be competitive at the national level in the US. However they are skilled enough to that their federation is willing to back them. Also you'd need to pass whatever skating tests exist in your home country since the USFS may not count.
Then you'd have to compete and qualify in your own country also. You'd still have the money problems as well.

Illusiadude

Rinkside
It's really not an option to skate for the Phillipines. Many people have that same idea and you'd be at the back of the line. There are many citizens of your country that live and train here in the US and decide to switch over once it is apparent that they will not be competitive at the national level in the US. However they are skilled enough to that their federation is willing to back them. Also you'd need to pass whatever skating tests exist in your home country since the USFS may not count.
Then you'd have to compete and qualify in your own country also. You'd still have the money problems as well.

I see. So it can be done, just not realistically at this point.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia

You don't just get to switch countries and swan into the Olympics with shoddy self-taught doubles. That you even think you can is an insult to the many hard-working skaters representing the little skating countries who have been working their backsides off since they were little, often in sub-par facilities.

And as I said back on page 1, there are minimum technical requirements, and spot qualification to consider. As I said, Michael Christian Martinez couldn't even qualify a spot on his own for this Olympics with most of his triples. The lowest ranked qualifier at Nebelhorn attempted three QUADS in his free skate.

Illusiadude

Rinkside
You don't just get to switch countries and swan into the Olympics with shoddy self-taught doubles. That you even think you can is an insult to the many hard-working skaters representing the little skating countries who have been working their backsides off since they were little, often in sub-par facilities.

And as I said back on page 1, there are minimum technical requirements, and spot qualification to consider. As I said, Michael Christian Martinez couldn't even qualify a spot on his own for this Olympics with most of his triples. The lowest ranked qualifier at Nebelhorn attempted three QUADS in his free skate.

You think you're better than Martinez?

Hi there! yeah... no, I’m not taking any of this from you. It’s getting tiring, karne. And you know what, maybe I can be one day. I will be working backside off as well to getting as far as I can in this sport. And who knows, maybe I could get ALL of my triples and a quad by the grace of the skating gods or whatever.

And as for my “shoddy self-taught doubles”, how about you see them first before you start calling me a bad skater?

tothepointe

On the Ice
Well to be fair the title of this post is reality check. A reality check would be to say one step at a time. You've never tested before so you'd have to start with Pre-pre. So your first step to even seeing if the goal is feasible is to do that. You don't know if know if you'll LIKE competiting. That's another thing entirely. There are many many many skaters who had EVERYTHING it took technically and physically to make it to the Olympics but couldn't because competing is a whole 'nother skill you have to learn and master.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Well to be fair the title of this post is reality check. A reality check would be to say one step at a time. You've never tested before so you'd have to start with Pre-pre. So your first step to even seeing if the goal is feasible is to do that. You don't know if know if you'll LIKE competiting. That's another thing entirely. There are many many many skaters who had EVERYTHING it took technically and physically to make it to the Olympics but couldn't because competing is a whole 'nother skill you have to learn and master.

:clap:

Illusiadude

Rinkside

Agreed. I will consult my coach further about the testing process and how I should go about it. People have suggested that I could start with pre-pre and preliminary as well as the pre-pre freeskate for my first time and work from there. I do like to compete, but my background with that is from gymnastics which feels completely different in my opinion. But I see what you mean. Thank you!

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Hi there! yeah... no, I’m not taking any of this from you. It’s getting tiring, karne.

So you won't take "any of this" from us, but you expect us to just sit here and cop every disrespectful remark you make about the little country skaters...

And who knows, maybe I could get ALL of my triples and a quad by the grace of the skating gods or whatever.

...or remarks like these which are just beyond disrespectful to every skater who has competed at the Senior level?

concorde

Medalist
When I was watching this past Olympics, one of the commentators commented about an Italian (??) pair (not ice dance). The guy was 29 or so and had started ice skating at 19. Prior to that time, the guy was a roller skater. Tara has a similar background.

With your a dance background (I assume you are used to lifting a partner), this may be something worth considering. I know the US is lacking in a pairs skaters and my guess is a male would be a hot commodity. From what I can tell, elite pairs "just" need to do a double axel and 1 triple.

But to be a pair, you have to first have the fundamentals of being single skater. I believe that pairs requires additional USFS tests - your coach should have the specifics.

Illusiadude

Rinkside
When I was watching this past Olympics, one of the commentators commented about an Italian (??) pair (not ice dance). The guy was 29 or so and had started ice skating at 19. Prior to that time, the guy was a roller skater. Tara has a similar background.

With your a dance background (I assume you are used to lifting a partner), this may be something worth considering. I know the US is lacking in a pairs skaters and my guess is a male would be a hot commodity. From what I can tell, elite pairs "just" need to do a double axel and 1 triple.

But to be a pair, you have to first have the fundamentals of being single skater. I believe that pairs requires additional USFS tests - your coach should have the specifics.

Huh, never thought about that actually. I wonder if I could even do pairs, those triple twists look really intimidating...

cl2

Final Flight

I would imagine you will need rock-solid skating skills to be a male pair skater, because otherwise I fear you'll be dropping your partner left and right.