Sasha Cohen's Journal Updates | Golden Skate

Sasha Cohen's Journal Updates

S

SkateFan4Life

In the interest of obtaining the news directly from Sasha Cohen, here's the latest online journal, taken from her official website.

Although I did not see any references to Robin Wagner (I scanned the journal entries quite rapidly), I must say that I did not see anything that definitely points to any "rift" between Sasha and Robin.

Enough speculation, guys! Let's just enjoy Sasha's performances this year.

http://www.sashacohen.com/journal.shtml

heyang

Record Breaker
From one of Sasha's journal entries:
I haven’t decided how I will be decorating my apartment yet. Last week we picked up a couple of red couches from a store in Soho. They are very comfortable. They feel just like the ones that are in airplanes - very soft and relaxing. We’ve picked up some rugs so things are moving along.

I guess she hasn't been flying coach class. :rofl:

bronxgirl

Medalist
Hmm, Sasha cohen flying cattle class with the rest of us mere mortals - Nope, not the image I have :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Fossi

Final Flight
SkateFan4Life said:
In the interest of obtaining the news directly from Sasha Cohen, here's the latest online journal, taken from her official website.

Although I did not see any references to Robin Wagner (I scanned the journal entries quite rapidly), I must say that I did not see anything that definitely points to any "rift" between Sasha and Robin.

Enough speculation, guys! Let's just enjoy Sasha's performances this year.

http://www.sashacohen.com/journal.shtml

Everyone speculates about the skaters, so I'm not sure why it should be different for Sasha Cohen? Besides, it takes all the fun out of it. When will Sasha be performing again? It's hard to enjoy her when she is having a serious back injury. :cry:

milanessa

Rinkside
Longhornliz said:
I was not aware that planes had couches on them either.... interesting.

There are in private planes - maybe that's how she's getting around. On the other hand JetBlue has comfortable, soft leather seats on their planes... :p

gerry

sk8m8

Final Flight
Now here's a REAL speculation....

Sasha did go to others to work on aspects of skating

We know from very public accounts that she is driven and may tend to overtrain

Perhaps she injured her back while doing this

Since she already has a back injury (cracked vertabrae) she may realized that she "sat herself down" from the grand prix

Robin, being a good coach is just letting the lesson kick in

Thus, no rift, some coolness, and no Sasha on the GP events..

Case Solved! :sheesh: Oh, all of this PURE SPECULATION :p

euterpe

Medalist
Somehow I doubt the injury was from 'overtraining'. I think there was little or no training in July and August, away from Robin, and then intensive catch-up training in September to prepare for Campbell's. When an athlete slacks off then tries to make up for it in a rush of activity, injuries can happen.

Sasha trained BIG time during the summer of 2003 under Tarasova, and was fully prepared for Campbell's, SA and SC. After Lalique, Sasha started going downhill and at the same time, her relationship with TT began to deteriorate.

Last edited:

mzheng

Record Breaker
euterpe said:
Somehow I doubt the injury was from 'overtraining'. I think there was little or no training in July and August, away from Robin, and then intensive catch-up training in September to prepare for Campbell's. When an athlete slacks off then tries to make up for it in a rush of activity, injuries can happen.

Sasha trained BIG time during the summer of 2003 under Tarasova, and was fully prepared for Campbell's, SA and SC. After Lalique, Sasha started going downhill and at the same time, her relationship with TT began to deteriorate.

If she indeed take the summer off, leaving ice too long, when she got back and tried hard to restore all her triples, and 3/3s even quad. It could cause seriouse back pain. That's what happened to Michelle last season. Given the fact that Sasha had previous back injury, she is more vulnerable to reinjury her back.

The different between Michelle's last season and Sasha's now, was that Michelle always listened to her body, once she suffered the back pain, she discarded the 3t/3t from her LP last season when a few weeks before the Worlds, just focus on improving other elements (like spin, stroking, etc.) in her skating. That's why I cut her a lot slack when her coach RA complained about her not practicing the jumps at the qualifying round practice which caused fans jumped on her "bad work ethics".

I read in SkateFan a poster, who just did an article on off ice trainning, said when she called up Sasha for an interview of 'pelit trainning' (not sure if it's the right name), she got refused, since Sasha no longer doing this type trainning ans was told she took up swimming. And according to the poster she then talked to Sasha's former coach John Nick, was told while swimming is good, but it's not suitable for the skater who has low back injury.

IMO, if Sasha's back injury indeed caused by aggrevegated 3/3, quad trainning. She can just forgot these 3/3 and quad. Under CoP, her overall skating quality still will land her on podium most of the time. And if she wants to turn pro, I bet a lot pro show would be more than glad to sign her up even before Sarah. I'd say she already well established herself for other off ice career through the FS. She can do modeling, fashing, etc. if that's what her original goal was, became a celebrity.

kemy

Rinkside
mzheng said:
I read in SkateFan a poster, who just did an article on off ice trainning, said when she called up Sasha for an interview of 'pelit trainning' (not sure if it's the right name), she got refused, since Sasha no longer doing this type trainning ans was told she took up swimming.

Pilates?

mzheng

Record Breaker
Thanks. Sounds like it but I really don't know what EXACTLY this means and too lazy to lookup the dictionary. But got general idea refers to some perticula off ice trainng to enhance the low back musel?

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Pilates is a form of exercise that was developed in California in, IIRC, 1920's. It combines elements of Yoga, ballet, etc. It is greate for abdominal muscles and (to a lesser extent) for flexibility. It has traditionally been popular on the West Coast, but has recently gained popularity all over the country.

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
Ballet dancers have used Pilates for years not only to strengthen their abdominal muscles, but to increase flexibility. There are two types of exercises: the "mat" classes and the ones done on various types of equipment that look like they come from a dominitrix's den, such as the "trap table" and the "reformer." The equipment is spring-based and provides resistance in both directions (in and out). Many of the exercises are done on one's back, which reduces the pressure of standing.

jesslily

Final Flight
Pilates have been popular for the past few years. The books and DVD of pilates mainly occupy the fitness section of bookstores. It has replaced aerobic steps and light weight training in a way.

S

SkateFan4Life

heyang said:

My sentiments, exactly. I think Sasha doesn't quite have a handle on how it is for the rest of us mere mortals who fly. Cramped seats, squeeling babies, folks bumping into you nine as you try to pass each other to visit the rest room.
When was the last time you saw a couch on an airplane? :rofl:

Frankly, I think her comments are a hoot. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

S

SkateFan4Life

heyang said:

This is abolutely hysterical. :rofl: :rofl: Couches in "steerage"? Give me a break, Sasha. Wake up and smell the coffee. It sounds as though this girl hasn't a clue as to how the majority of us live. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Gee, the last time I flew, I was cramped with several hundred fellow passengers, and we hardly had enough room to breathe, let along lounge.

Maybe we should all send Sasha our own trivial diaires. Any takers?

LBC

On the Ice
You have to look back at her diary entries of last year to see how she talked about going to France in coach. The USFSA only pays for the cheap seats. I'm sure the majority of the time she goes first class to get those comfortable seats. Are they? Don't know. Looked good when I peaked through that curtain. :rofl:
If I had the money I'd go first class too. :agree:

Given Sasha's size her airplane experience isn't as cramped as the average person. Her feet probably barely touch the ground and she's probably got room in that utlta small coach seat. First class seats are probably gigantic to her. Tall people are in agony back there in coach and those small people in first class should sacrifice their seats. :biggrin: