Does anyone like the butt spin? | Golden Skate

Does anyone like the butt spin?

Old Cat Lady

On the Ice
I swear, I'll only judge you a little if you do.

Sandhu deserves to be thrown in skating prison for inventing this monstrosity.

Yuzuru is too pretty for prison so he can get lifetime probation. How many skaters in the next generations are going to scar our eyes with this hideousness trying to emulate him?

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
I swear, I'll only judge you a little if you do.

Sandhu deserves to be thrown in skating prison for inventing this monstrosity.

Yuzuru is too pretty for prison so he can get lifetime probation.
How many skaters in the next generations are going to scar our eyes with this hideousness trying to emulate him?

:rofl:Don´t have a problem with

likevelvet

#Bless this mess
On the Ice
Country
United-States
Kids at my rink love them. I seem to remember loving them when I was that age, too.

I'm envisioning someone dropping down for one mid-program at a big event and laughing now. :laugh:

noskates

Record Breaker
It was bad enough when the men do it but now there are a few women who are doing it. It's right down their on the disgust level with the Bielmann.

Old Cat Lady

On the Ice
It's right down their on the disgust level with the Bielmann.

I think it's so much worse. The Biellman is occasionally nice - Lipnitskaya's was phenomenal. I can't imagine any variation of the butt spin that can make it look good.

One of the reasons I like Semei at the Olympics more than before was because he dropped the Biellman from the program. If he drops the butt spin it will be perfect

Puchi

On the Ice
I think it's so much worse. The Biellman is occasionally nice - Lipnitskaya's was phenomenal. I can't imagine any variation of the butt spin that can make it look good.

There are rare skaters that can make both look good, here's Natalie Krieg rocking those spins in combination at 1994 Olympics (yes, a girl, and yes, long before Sandhu)

https://youtu.be/qnoRJ8gZpZU?t=135

Note "the pearl" way before Caroline Zhang and the I spin long before Sasha Cohen.

steiner

Rinkside
It was bad enough when the men do it but now there are a few women who are doing it. It's right down their on the disgust level with the Bielmann.
A Bielmann can be lovely when done well. The butt spin is always still a butt spin, even when done properly.

noskates

Record Breaker
Agree with you Steiner but there are so few people that do it well. I really don't want someone's crotch in my face in the guise of choreography. I just think the Bielmann is a really awkward position and there are so many other spins that are graceful and beautiful. But you're right, the butt spin is always a butt spin.

asiacheetah

On the Ice
I don't like it. Then again there are a lot of butt ugly positions in spins nowadays to maximize for combination spins. I hate the modified camel spin with bent leg with a passion.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
A butt spin requires flexibility (see: Sandhu) to look decent. Most of the time though it looks like a skater just trying to get another feature/level.

Shoma and Alaine do theirs decently, with the cross foot, but pretty much every skater these days who does a butt spin does not make it look good, IMO. Maybe there are junior skaters who do it well but no senior skaters do a "regular" butt spin well that I can recall.