Does anyone like the butt spin? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Does anyone like the butt spin?

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Of course there are good versions out there. If I remember correctly Adian Pitkeev did a really good A-Spin near the end of a program or two...I really miss his spins :cry:

I absolutely thought Tarakanova did an interesting variation right before changing into a scratch spin to end the program as she slips back into her straight jacket. The whole combination is a great example of how to be impressive without relying on your flexibility.
https://youtu.be/mE9IXqb4wXs?t=2m44s

I can’t think of a single position or movement that I can’t find a version or two of that I can enjoy. I guess you can put me in the “I like the Butt Spin” group :dance2:

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Sandhu's Butt Spin is pretty much the only acceptable one...so he shouldn't be thrown in jail :p

I did see some other guy this year who had a good butt spin, but I can't remember who it now, but I definitely made note of it in mind!

I must have odd taste because I can't recall seeing a Beillmann spin I didn't like! :laugh:

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
I must be in the minority as I don't mind butt spin. To be exact: I neither detest it nor love that.

On the other hand sloppy illusion spin is an eyesore for me.

Warwick360

Medalist
Depends on who does it and how well they do it. I hate the A spin (butt spin) when it's latched at the end with a snail like speed, or when the standing leg is very close to the other leg.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
When I watch skating with my best friend, who is a casual fan but a knowledgeable one, she loves the butt spin. She thinks it's an interesting position.

I think if you watch less figure skating it, like the biellman, is less disliked.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I like it on certain skaters....I still believe that Eman Sandhu had the best butt spin ever. Instead of grabbing his calf, or ankle, he actually grabbed the bottom of his skate and it looked really cool.

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I must be in the minority as I don't mind butt spin. To be exact: I neither detest it nor love that.

On the other hand sloppy illusion spin is an eyesore for me.

Agreed on both accounts. The ugliest spins for me have got to be those un-Sotnikova like illusion spins. Whatever her secret was to hitting those perfect positions, she should bottle and sell it.

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
When I first saw the thread title, I thought it was about Phillipe Candeloro's literal butt spins on the ice! :laugh:

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
I don't mind butt spins when they're only a couple of revolutions long. They're acceptable as a quick position in combination spins. More than that, though, and it becomes too much for me.