Returning to the Ice! | Golden Skate

Returning to the Ice!

iAMbarr

Rinkside
Hi!! I'm new here. This will be a long post so please bear with me :) I was a figure skater from age 5-17 ending my skating career at the intermediate level, both freestyle and MITF passed. Had all my doubles including double axel and a triple sal. My last competition was in 2002. I stopped skating my senior year of highschool because I was craving a social life and living at the rink, watching 13 year olds at the same level as me, wasn't inspiring anymore :/ I am now almost 33 years old and have been off the ice longer then I was on.
A few weekends ago I took my husband and two little girls to public skate. I lost my last pair of skates, year ago, which was devastating to me but at this point they would've been so old, it is what it is. I had to wear rental skates for public skate and it was the worst exerpience ever lol after that I started having dreams (actual dreams while sleeping!) of being on the ice again, mainly competing. So I found a pair of used skates... beautiful Riedells with MK blades. I went to the rink with just my husband today (he played hockey for many years) and I tried out my "new" skates to see what I had left in me. I landed every jump, all singles, from the waltz to the lutz, and I was so proud of myself. It's amazing how it really feels just like riding a bike!
I have been reading a lot about the different adult levels but am a bit confused. I was wondering if someone could help me out with explaining the levels, where I would be based on previous testing and skill level, what other testing I will need to move up etc.
I am a stay at home mom and will only be able to get to the rink 1-2 times a week right now. I really want to do this, for myself, for my parents who poured their money and life into a faded past life of skating, and to show my baby girls that they can achieve anything they set out to do :) thanks in advance for adult skating advice!!

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Oh, welcome back to the ice!

In terms of level - it will depend on which country you're in, but you may be able to be "grandfathered" into an Adult level based on the tests you had passed in 2002. That might be Gold or Masters, if you were doing 2A or 3S. My best suggestion is to contact the skating body in your country and find out what you might need to do to convert your tests.

iAMbarr

Rinkside
Oh, welcome back to the ice!

In terms of level - it will depend on which country you're in, but you may be able to be "grandfathered" into an Adult level based on the tests you had passed in 2002. That might be Gold or Masters, if you were doing 2A or 3S. My best suggestion is to contact the skating body in your country and find out what you might need to do to convert your tests.
I'm in the USA, and I was reading the USFS website and was unsure of where I would be currently. I'm also not sure when I passed my tests, I'd have to go through paperwork at my parents house!

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Good for you! I did this a couple of years ago and I am in my sixties! I was nervous at first, but my skates fit just like bedroom slippers, and away I went around the rink. I joined a "learn to skate" class. The coach was amazed at how well I could skate and put me ahead. Unfortunately, my health has taken a turn so haven't skated in a long, long time. Also my back is not the greatest. Still it was fun and I found out I could still skate after all these years. I would just start out with a basic level class and see what happens. All the best to you.

iAMbarr

Rinkside
Good for you! I did this a couple of years ago and I am in my sixties! I was nervous at first, but my skates fit just like bedroom slippers, and away I went around the rink. I joined a "learn to skate" class. The coach was amazed at how well I could skate and put me ahead. Unfortunately, my health has taken a turn so haven't skated in a long, long time. Also my back is not the greatest. Still it was fun and I found out I could still skate after all these years. I would just start out with a basic level class and see what happens. All the best to you.
Oh I'm sorry to hear that you aren't on the ice anymore :( you're right about how fun and good it feels to know you can still skate! I'm a little apprehensive to take any learn to skate classes, mainly bc i fear I'll be bored and it would be a waste of money for me... and I don't like to say that because I don't want to seem over confident. When I walked into the rink today I saw my old coach, my very first coach of 7 years and after being on the ice my thought was maybe taking a 30min private lesson once a week with her. I think that would be ideal for my comfort level. I feel so awkward skating on public skate since I was grew up on freestyle sessions. Obviously I understand this situation is a little different now, with my age and skill level. Either way, I'm excited to see what happens! Thank you so much for your support, I truly appreciate it!

sandraskates

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Welcome back to the ice and to this forum iAMbarr!
If you're contemplating the Learn to Skate group lessons I suggest taking a look at the link below and talking to the Learn to Skate director at your rink. If you're landing up to a lutz you should not have to start at rock bottom Adult 1 and you may be able to skip ahead to one of the Freeskate levels.
The Director will likely want to have you evaluated to see where you should be placed and prove that you have mastery of the designated skills. Lutzes show up at Freeskate 5, Axels in F6.

Starting back with group lessons would be a good way to "get back in the swing of things." But having attained a higher level in the past, you may just want to go back to private lessons. LTS group lessons are pretty reasonably priced; at my rink your lesson day includes skating the public session for free.

Take at look at this, it may help you decide group or private, or maybe both:
https://www.learntoskateusa.com/media/1162/curriculum_freeskate.pdf

Happy Skating!

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Definitely talk to private coach, if you already have one in mind and possibly the skating director too, they should be able to guide you where you need to go and what you need to do from there. :)

Good luck and happy skating! :biggrin:

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Oh I'm sorry to hear that you aren't on the ice anymore :( you're right about how fun and good it feels to know you can still skate! I'm a little apprehensive to take any learn to skate classes, mainly bc i fear I'll be bored and it would be a waste of money for me... and I don't like to say that because I don't want to seem over confident. When I walked into the rink today I saw my old coach, my very first coach of 7 years and after being on the ice my thought was maybe taking a 30min private lesson once a week with her. I think that would be ideal for my comfort level. I feel so awkward skating on public skate since I was grew up on freestyle sessions. Obviously I understand this situation is a little different now, with my age and skill level. Either way, I'm excited to see what happens! Thank you so much for your support, I truly appreciate it!

I felt kind of weird and out of place at first too, but I soon let go of those feelings. There was all kinds of age groups there, and they were watching me like I was Karen Magnussen or someone - lol! I didn't get bored either no matter how simple the move I was working on, believe me I was plenty rusty so appreciated relearning everything. I did get carried away once or twice and had a nasty fall - I think that's what stopped me the most, I couldn't afford to miss work! It was fun, I guess I should have kept it up because now it's a little too late. Still I dream about putting my skates on again and taking another turn around the rink and doing a sit spin - my best spin. Nice to dream. Thanks.

Silver Ice

On the Ice
Welcome back to skating!

If I’m remembering correctly, when taking the adult track adult gold is the final adult test and then you can move to the standard track beginning at intermediate, so depending on how they look at the dates of the test and how that works, you might be able to continue with the standard track where you left off but with adult expectations which lowers the points you need to pass the test.

You might enjoy the learn to skate classes even if they’re below your level. I came back to skating after 20 years off the ice and really liked taking the learn to skate. I wasn’t as high leveled as you were when I skated, and I mostly spent my time focusing on jumping and spinning neglecting edges and turns. I signed up for the highest level in the learn to skate class, and it was nice focusing on the basics, and even with the levels they usually would break us up into sections for those who were working on more advanced turns or patterns.

You might not need that, but it was also nice for meeting the other adult skaters in my area. Most of the instructors at the adult learn to skate are adult skaters themselves to. At my rink they have an upper level adult learn to skate also, which is geared for people working on jumps and spins. Either way going to the learn to skate was just really nice for meeting people.

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
Hi!! I'm new here. This will be a long post so please bear with me :) I was a figure skater from age 5-17 ending my skating career at the intermediate level, both freestyle and MITF passed. Had all my doubles including double axel and a triple sal. My last competition was in 2002. I stopped skating my senior year of highschool because I was craving a social life and living at the rink, watching 13 year olds at the same level as me, wasn't inspiring anymore :/ I am now almost 33 years old and have been off the ice longer then I was on.
A few weekends ago I took my husband and two little girls to public skate. I lost my last pair of skates, year ago, which was devastating to me but at this point they would've been so old, it is what it is. I had to wear rental skates for public skate and it was the worst exerpience ever lol after that I started having dreams (actual dreams while sleeping!) of being on the ice again, mainly competing. So I found a pair of used skates... beautiful Riedells with MK blades. I went to the rink with just my husband today (he played hockey for many years) and I tried out my "new" skates to see what I had left in me. I landed every jump, all singles, from the waltz to the lutz, and I was so proud of myself. It's amazing how it really feels just like riding a bike!
I have been reading a lot about the different adult levels but am a bit confused. I was wondering if someone could help me out with explaining the levels, where I would be based on previous testing and skill level, what other testing I will need to move up etc.
I am a stay at home mom and will only be able to get to the rink 1-2 times a week right now. I really want to do this, for myself, for my parents who poured their money and life into a faded past life of skating, and to show my baby girls that they can achieve anything they set out to do :) thanks in advance for adult skating advice!!

Welcome back to skating!

If you passed Intermediate you would skate at the "Masters Intermediate-Novice" Level if you wanted to compete. They group Intermediate-Novice and Junior-Senior for adults. If you had passed just the Juvenile test that would correlate to adult Gold. But as you have passed Intermediate you cannot compete at Adult Gold. You can keep taking the standard tests.

The levels for adults are: Pre-Bronze, Bronze, Silver, Gold, Masters Intermediate-Novice, and Masters Junior-Senior.

At your level I would second finding a private coach. If you have limited time it will likely be a better use of your time. Some coaches don't teach adult students but many coaches do- it's worth asking the director at your rink for recommendations.

Good luck! I hope you enjoy your return to skating. Speaking for myself, I know I love skating more now than when I was a kid.

Edited to add: Here are the forms from the USFS website that show the elements allowed at each level.

http://www.usfsa.org/content/2017-18 Adult Singles WBP Chart.pdf

Girlbird

On the Ice
Welcome back to the ice and to this forum iAMbarr!
If you're contemplating the Learn to Skate group lessons I suggest taking a look at the link below and talking to the Learn to Skate director at your rink. If you're landing up to a lutz you should not have to start at rock bottom Adult 1 and you may be able to skip ahead to one of the Freeskate levels.
The Director will likely want to have you evaluated to see where you should be placed and prove that you have mastery of the designated skills. Lutzes show up at Freeskate 5, Axels in F6.

Starting back with group lessons would be a good way to "get back in the swing of things." But having attained a higher level in the past, you may just want to go back to private lessons. LTS group lessons are pretty reasonably priced; at my rink your lesson day includes skating the public session for free.

Take at look at this, it may help you decide group or private, or maybe both:
https://www.learntoskateusa.com/media/1162/curriculum_freeskate.pdf

Happy Skating!

I'm sort of in the same boat as the OP! I am doing a learn-to-skate adult class, and while it isn't really split into official levels, we are still split up into groups based on skill. Being the only one who isn't a total beginner or someone working on basic skills, I essentially have my own private lesson for a fraction of the cost. I didn't skate nearly as long as the OP when I was skating as a kid and I didn't ever test - I competed in the non-test level and was gearing up to take my pre-pre tests when I stopped at thirteen.

Anyway, I'm personally going to go through this session of lessons working with the coach. She says we can get my jumps and spins and MIF back on track - basically seeing what all I can do, which is already more than I thought I could! - Then at the end of the session we can see where I want to go from there regarding coaching. It's been great to have someone watch me and remind me all the things I had forgotten. The body and mind remembers a lot of it, but there are little things that got lost, like specifics of takeoffs and timing of spin entries. I now have back my singles up to the lutz - my nemesis - but that's back on track and so are my spins. I figure I might as well save money while I can!

So maybe you would be in the same boat, OP. But going right to private coaching would be fine too. Happy skating!

iAMbarr

Rinkside
Welcome back to skating!

If you passed Intermediate you would skate at the "Masters Intermediate-Novice" Level if you wanted to compete. They group Intermediate-Novice and Junior-Senior for adults. If you had passed just the Juvenile test that would correlate to adult Gold. But as you have passed Intermediate you cannot compete at Adult Gold. You can keep taking the standard tests.

The levels for adults are: Pre-Bronze, Bronze, Silver, Gold, Masters Intermediate-Novice, and Masters Junior-Senior.

At your level I would second finding a private coach. If you have limited time it will likely be a better use of your time. Some coaches don't teach adult students but many coaches do- it's worth asking the director at your rink for recommendations.

Good luck! I hope you enjoy your return to skating. Speaking for myself, I know I love skating more now than when I was a kid.

Edited to add: Here are the forms from the USFS website that show the elements allowed at each level.

http://www.usfsa.org/content/2017-18 Adult Singles WBP Chart.pdf
This was so incredibly helpful. Thank you so so much!!

iAMbarr

Rinkside
I'm sort of in the same boat as the OP! I am doing a learn-to-skate adult class, and while it isn't really split into official levels, we are still split up into groups based on skill. Being the only one who isn't a total beginner or someone working on basic skills, I essentially have my own private lesson for a fraction of the cost. I didn't skate nearly as long as the OP when I was skating as a kid and I didn't ever test - I competed in the non-test level and was gearing up to take my pre-pre tests when I stopped at thirteen.

Anyway, I'm personally going to go through this session of lessons working with the coach. She says we can get my jumps and spins and MIF back on track - basically seeing what all I can do, which is already more than I thought I could! - Then at the end of the session we can see where I want to go from there regarding coaching. It's been great to have someone watch me and remind me all the things I had forgotten. The body and mind remembers a lot of it, but there are little things that got lost, like specifics of takeoffs and timing of spin entries. I now have back my singles up to the lutz - my nemesis - but that's back on track and so are my spins. I figure I might as well save money while I can!

So maybe you would be in the same boat, OP. But going right to private coaching would be fine too. Happy skating!
Thats great to hear! Its got to feel so good! I think I'm going to do another public skate session and talk to my old coach I saw there and see what she thinks about starting a private lesson vs the group adult skate. Thanks so much for telling me your journey!

Girlbird

On the Ice
Thats great to hear! Its got to feel so good! I think I'm going to do another public skate session and talk to my old coach I saw there and see what she thinks about starting a private lesson vs the group adult skate. Thanks so much for telling me your journey!

Looking forward to hearing more from you as you get back into this world! So happy for you :)

vlaurend

Final Flight
Everything Seren said! (Hi, Seren!!) You would be in Intermediate-Novice and there is a broad range of abilities due to skaters' ages, years off the ice, physical limitations, etc. Most Adult skaters at this level only have an axel and one or two doubles, and there are even some who do only single jumps.

iAMbarr

Rinkside
Everything Seren said! (Hi, Seren!!) You would be in Intermediate-Novice and there is a broad range of abilities due to skaters' ages, years off the ice, physical limitations, etc. Most Adult skaters at this level only have an axel and one or two doubles, and there are even some who do only single jumps.
Thank You! I'm so excited to have a goal for myself, being a stay at home mom, I've kind of lost that. I'm hoping to get to the rink again tomorrow and go from there!! Thanks for your response [emoji171]

Ducky

On the Ice

Welcome back to the ice! I'm just getting back into skating myself and recently started working with a coach with private lessons as I missed the deadline for my rink's learn to skate program but it's been worthwhile. Can't wait to hear more about your skating journey!

iAMbarr

Rinkside
Welcome back to the ice! I'm just getting back into skating myself and recently started working with a coach with private lessons as I missed the deadline for my rink's learn to skate program but it's been worthwhile. Can't wait to hear more about your skating journey!
Thank you!! And same to you!!