How can Russia move ahead in Sr. Ice Dance | Page 3 | Golden Skate

How can Russia move ahead in Sr. Ice Dance

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Wow. Judging by this thread, I seem to be one of the few who enjoy S/B.

Surely they'll be Russian #1 now, right?

It's akin to how I feel about Brady and her US championship.

Being the US Lady champion still means something in our sport. So does being the Russian Ice Dance champions.

Marta25

Medalist
I enjoy S/B, too. Yes, they are not perfect and have to work more on their weaknesses, but I find them very enjoyable.

Krylova returning to Russia are some big news. If I look how much she has improved Kaitlyn Weaver`s skating over the years, I think she could be really fantastic for Russian ice dance. Considering how deep Russian Ice Dance is on the junior and novice level, she shouldn`t have any issues to get teams into her group.

Nightcrawler

On the Ice
I enjoy S&B as well. To me, they had the only bearable SD this season and if their Liebestraum wasn't full of those horrible vocals, I'd like it too.
Can't wait to see what next season holds in store for them, because I feel they'd be perfect for a tango with their long lines and overall look. But please make it less generic than last year's FD.

gmyers

Record Breaker
I enjoy S/B, too. Yes, they are not perfect and have to work more on their weaknesses, but I find them very enjoyable.

Krylova returning to Russia are some big news. If I look how much she has improved Kaitlyn Weaver`s skating over the years, I think she could be really fantastic for Russian ice dance. Considering how deep Russian Ice Dance is on the junior and novice level, she shouldn`t have any issues to get teams into her group.

But you can bring krylova to Russia but is she going to be allowed to bring Detroit to Russia?!? I hope her job isn’t going to be to polish Russian drama but to impose modern trends on Russian teams. Teach people like zhulin and kustarova about IJS and lyrical programs.

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
Shpilband didn't have V/M and D/W with him in 2014. The split with Marina happened in 2012 and both teams stayed with her.

Most top Canadian ice dance coaches have just started having some success after setting up base in the last decade or so. They're not 'going' anywhere. The style du jour may change though, so they may not be as successful.

S/B are the top Russian team. They should do well at Worlds this time. Why panic before the results have even come in?

Russian junior teams are so fun to watch. If they could continue their interesting programs in seniors that would help them a lot. Shpilevaya/Smirnov and Skoptcova/Aleshin would be the ones to see next season to determine how well they transition.

Mattieu

Medalist
Wow. Judging by this thread, I seem to be one of the few who enjoy S/B.

Surely they'll be Russian #1 now, right?

It's akin to how I feel about Brady and her US championship.

Being the US Lady champion still means something in our sport. So does being the Russian Ice Dance champions.

You are not alone, I adore Stepanova and Bukin! :love:
Russian No. 1 team :hap10:
Let's hope they get a bump up in PCS for being No. 1 Russian team and have a fabulousimmo World Championships.
I am so excited to be seeing them live! :love:
Trying to persuade M. Mattieu that they are worth fabulousimmo too, as he moans about the Milan rain :slink:

gmyers

Record Breaker
She is a tech coach, Russia needs the creativeness of Pascale, not the tech of Angelica.
Russia has tech coaches, it just needs a rethink and
a more modern style

It does need tech too. Look at b/s and s/b levels in the sd at last year’s worlds! Why were they 8th and 10th? Horrific tech levels. They need to know how to teach skaters to use edges in step sequences for example. That is missing!

That's big news about Krylova returning to Russia to coach. I always had a secret wish that Weaver/Poje would leave Morozov and return to her. However, this is a major gain for Russian Ice Dance and I'm excited about the potential outcome.
Where does this leave Camerlengo? Or have I missed another thread altogether that explains? :slink:

bramweld

Record Breaker
It does need tech too. Look at b/s and s/b levels in the sd at last year’s worlds! Why were they 8th and 10th? Horrific tech levels. They need to know how to teach skaters to use edges in step sequences for example. That is missing!

Trust me they have tech coaches and of course the completely clueless ones as well, its just that the basic skating of most of their skaters is otrocious. They have great choreographers as well, for example Peter T. but they don't use them often enough, because their skaters just can't handle the complexity as well as the TES. They need to promote ice dancing in such a way that parents don't think of it as an afterthought when their kids can't handle jumps.

gmyers

Record Breaker
What might this mean for Hawayek & Baker?

Camerlengo? Skype?

That's big news about Krylova returning to Russia to coach. I always had a secret wish that Weaver/Poje would leave Morozov and return to her. However, this is a major gain for Russian Ice Dance and I'm excited about the potential outcome.
Where does this leave Camerlengo? Or have I missed another thread altogether that explains? :slink:

Hopefully it’s a major gain!

Trust me they have tech coaches and of course the completely clueless ones as well, its just that the basic skating of most of their skaters is otrocious. They have great choreographers as well, for example Peter T. but they don't use them often enough, because their skaters just can't handle the complexity as well as the TES. They need to promote ice dancing in such a way that parents don't think of it as an afterthought when their kids can't handle jumps.

If someone does switch to dance it shouldn’t matter if they were failed singles skaters because all education and training must go to edges and what’s necessary for level 4 elements like learning all the different steps properly! Right now there is almost no one who cares about doing things equally good. Its all about couples that match in looks or are musical or whatever and skating skills is very low. If you have a skater who can’t really do a step it’s perfeclty ok and it will be covered up by the technical panel in domestic Russian competions who like to call all elements done by politically favored teams level 4.

Maybe krylova can make their elements actually level 4 by Bringing in knowledge of how ijs demands equal talent! It’s so sad though she’d be working with Tchaikovskaya and not svinin and zhuk because s/b are going to be Russian champions but maybe they will switch to krylova and the ijs coach in Russia.

Of course it makes sense that krylova would want to align herself with someone politically powerful but with no students!

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
:hijacked:

Exactly what I was thinking? Are they getting a divorce? don´t they have 2 children together?

bramweld

Record Breaker
Camerlengo? Skype?

Hopefully it’s a major gain!

If someone does switch to dance it shouldn’t matter if they were failed singles skaters because all education and training must go to edges and what’s necessary for level 4 elements like learning all the different steps properly! Right now there is almost no one who cares about doing things equally good. Its all about couples that match in looks or are musical or whatever and skating skills is very low. If you have a skater who can’t really do a step it’s perfeclty ok and it will be covered up by the technical panel in domestic Russian competions who like to call all elements done by politically favored teams level 4.

Maybe krylova can make their elements actually level 4 by Bringing in knowledge of how ijs demands equal talent! It’s so sad though she’d be working with Tchaikovskaya and not svinin and zhuk because s/b are going to be Russian champions but maybe they will switch to krylova and the ijs coach in Russia.

Of course it makes sense that krylova would want to align herself with someone politically powerful but with no students!

Hence my skepticism, Ms Krylova is part of the establishment that supports the status quo.

OTOH, she has always liked Katsalapov, so I imagine she will start first by being a consultant to S/K and probably she will rescue Pavel Drozd and Alla Loboda from the abyss their coaches have dug for them.

Let's probably just hope for the best.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I guess what I really meant to say is that none of them stood out to me... sorry but they don't. It's not like they are blowing the competition out of the water...

I mean Yanovskaya Mozgov were blowing the competition out of the water except for Hawayek/Baker of the USA and look how that turned out, Y/M broke up and HB didn't make it to the Olympics. I don't think you can say much about the juniors just yet... and to me, none of the pairs are exceptional...

SB were Junior Champions ffs, and they are awful

I highly disagree S/B are awful. They are a two-time European bronze medalist. They beat C/L and even beat B/S in the SD!

With B/S out of the way I'm guessing Stepanova and Bukin will be able to shine. To dismiss them when they are currently hands down the best Russian ice dance team (with B/S out) would be a grossly asinine move by the Russian fed.

They split up a few years ago, right around the time teams started leaving DSC.

Well, as I only started lurking on GS within the past year, I'll acknowledge my ignorance. :biggrin:

I'm sorry Krylova & Camerlengo aren't collaborating their talents in ice dance together any more, and more sorry they've split as a couple. :(

gmyers

Record Breaker
I highly disagree S/B are awful. They are a two-time European bronze medalist. They beat C/L and even beat B/S in the SD!

With B/S out of the way I'm guessing Stepanova and Bukin will be able to shine. To dismiss them when they are currently hands down the best Russian ice dance team (with B/S out) would be a grossly asinine move by the Russian fed.

Lol being the best Russian ice dance team doesn’t mean anything. They are 9/11/10 at worlds. They are not going anywhere and them being the best shows the complete and total destruction of Russian ice dance and how there's no talent in Russian dance anymore. Except for p/c all the talent in dance is North American so bronze in Europeans is truly worthless and without value.

Hence my skepticism, Ms Krylova is part of the establishment that supports the status quo.

OTOH, she has always liked Katsalapov, so I imagine she will start first by being a consultant to S/K and probably she will rescue Pavel Drozd and Alla Loboda from the abyss their coaches have dug for them.

Let's probably just hope for the best.

I was hoping krylova couldn’t be part of the Russian establishment! She wasn’t even there and had no Russian students! But immediately partnering with Tchaikovskaia isn’t a good sign for the future but maybe she can bring North American standards to Russia and be destroyed by Russian ice dance ruiners.