How can Russia move ahead in Sr. Ice Dance | Page 2 | Golden Skate

How can Russia move ahead in Sr. Ice Dance

bramweld

Record Breaker
It’s IJS! You can’t have a Stepanova anymore no matter how good Bukin is. Averbukh could have lobacheva and Fusar poli could have margaglio as a partner but in IJs where both skaters are put under extreme extreme microscopes (or close-ups) There can’t be any success like a world Olympic or gpf title with Stepanova. That’s the only purpose of a major Russian team. To win worlds and Olympics. That’s it! They are not doing the job. Their results are super awful and atrocious at worlds they have been to.

We need to reel in all this angst just a tad gmyers, we all know that ID isn't really a sport. How do you explain B/S being fifth at worlds in Helsinki and fifth again in Pyeongchang? Look we need to give Russian ID time to implode a bit more. In the meantime I've found Eunsoo Lim to be a worthy distraction, talk about someone who can skate and move. Okay? :console:

Mattieu

Medalist
It’s IJS! You can’t have a Stepanova anymore no matter how good Bukin is. Averbukh could have lobacheva and Fusar poli could have margaglio as a partner but in IJs where both skaters are put under extreme extreme microscopes (or close-ups) There can’t be any success like a world Olympic or gpf title with Stepanova. That’s the only purpose of a major Russian team. To win worlds and Olympics. That’s it! They are not doing the job. Their results are super awful and atrocious at worlds they have been to.

Why have you decided that the only purpose of the Russian team is to win Worlds and Olympics?
Does the Russian Fed know you have decided this?
Maybe you should tell them, as they don't seem to know this!

gmyers

Record Breaker
We need to reel in all this angst just a tad gmyers, we all know that ID isn't really a sport. How do you explain B/S being fifth at worlds in Helsinki and fifth again in Pyeongchang? Look we need to give Russian ID time to implode a bit more. In the meantime I've found Eunsoo Lim to be a worthy distraction, talk about someone who can skate and move. Okay? :console:

There is now 4 years of no world medal gpf medal or euro title! Can’t implode any more. Russian ice dance has to fall out of top 10 in world completely? People were actually still taking about b/s winning bronze in Pyeongchang because “Russia politics will make judges do it!” Look back at some predictors and commentators taking about b/s winning bronze in Pyeongchang then they say Russian extreme ice dance politics is seen in b/s being 4th losers! What a big political success! Russia is 4th losers!

Why have you decided that the only purpose of the Russian team is to win Worlds and Olympics?
Does the Russian Fed know you have decided this?
Maybe you should tell them, as they don't seem to know this!
Because bobrova and soloviev were actually talking about winning bronze and If the top two weren’t locked in they should win everything! Same in days of d/m and v/m and gorshkov taking about i/k should win gold in Sochi

bramweld

Record Breaker
There is now 4 years of no world medal gpf medal or euro title! Can’t implode any more. Russian ice dance has to fall out of top 10 in world completely? People were actually still taking about b/s winning bronze in Pyeongchang because “Russia politics will make judges do it!” Look back at some predictors and commentators taking about b/s winning bronze in Pyeongchang then they say Russian extreme ice dance politics is seen in b/s being 4th losers! What a big political success! Russia is 4th losers!

Because bobrova and soloviev were actually talking about winning bronze and If the top two weren’t locked in they should win everything! Same in days of d/m and v/m and gorshkov taking about i/k should win gold in Sochi

He must have been smoking some prime weed :eekn: Don't know how to explain the absolute jibberish coming out of the B/S camp though.

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I guess what I really meant to say is that none of them stood out to me... sorry but they don't. It's not like they are blowing the competition out of the water...

I mean Yanovskaya Mozgov were blowing the competition out of the water except for Hawayek/Baker of the USA and look how that turned out, Y/M broke up and HB didn't make it to the Olympics. I don't think you can say much about the juniors just yet... and to me, none of the pairs are exceptional...

SB were Junior Champions ffs, and they are awful

Just wading into the fray to point out that HB did not make O due to three strong US teams and that they will be at worlds. Wading back out now...

Iris81

On the Ice
Tchaikovskaya just said on tv that Krylova is coming back to Russia, she(Elena Anatolievna) hopes that Anjelika will help to push russian ice dance forward.
I wonder at which rink/with whom Krylova will be working?

Anyasnake

Record Breaker
Tchaikovskaya just said on tv that Krylova is coming back to Russia, she(Elena Anatolievna) hopes that Anjelika will help to push russian ice dance forward.

Really ? But not definitively right ? I mean she works in Detroit and she has Hawayek/Baker as students...

pearly

Record Breaker
Going by the Junior major championship results, I'd say Russia is totally dominating the field in Juniors!
But I'm curious, tvuckic16, who do you think is dominating the field in juniors if it is not the Russians?

Juniors mean nothing, especially in pairs and dance where there are two athletes who progress at different rates and can split. Ice dance is so much about style and politics. Russian ID needs to wake up and realize what they are doing in terms of technique and choreography is not earning medals at this point.

madison

Record Breaker

Wow... that's a good thing. I hope Anjelika can move things forward.

uhh

Medalist
She will be working with Oleg Volkov, which is good news imo as he is strong technically and I felt that S/K and B/S really showed how much they missed his input particularly in the SD this season. But who will she be coaching? I can't imagine that she'd agree to move without having teams lined up... and will H/B, A/U and A/E be coming with her?

whatif

Medalist
For a starter, they need to care about ice dance. I believe they just gave up on it and do not invest much resources anymore.

Anyasnake

Record Breaker
For a starter, they need to care about ice dance. I believe they just gave up on it and do not invest much resources anymore.

If they get Krylova back, I'm sure they care more than we think. But also, they might be preparing the good junior teams for a better Senior transition, because that's what's been lacking these past few years.

Mattieu

Medalist
Juniors mean nothing, especially in pairs and dance where there are two athletes who progress at different rates and can split. Ice dance is so much about style and politics. Russian ID needs to wake up and realize what they are doing in terms of technique and choreography is not earning medals at this point.

These things go in cycles....
Shpilband was top of the pile in 2014, yet now you could level the same at him, he needs to wake up in terms of what he is doing in terms of technique and choreography is not earning medals at this point....
All you are seeing is the dying days of their time at the top for coaches like Zhulin, as we saw with Linuchuk, Dobrova, Zazoui, Platov.
It is time for new coaches to take over. It is not about the system of a country, it is more about the coaches.
Canada is flying high in dance as it has good coaches ... at the moment, but give it 5 years and that will all have changed.

pearly

Record Breaker
I'm sure they will (in 5 years).

Which Russian dancers did Shpilband have in 2014?

Mattieu

Medalist
I'm sure they will (in 5 years).

Which Russian dancers did Shpilband have in 2014?

I was not referring to Russian dancers, I meant he was at the top of his game with Davis/White & Virtue & Moir
Yet now where is he.
Coaches don't ever seem to stay at the top for very long historically

Anyasnake

Record Breaker
I was not referring to Russian dancers, I meant he was at the top of his game with Davis/White & Virtue & Moir
Yet now where is he.
Coaches don't ever seem to stay at the top for very long historically

Agree, same with Marina. You need more than one top teams to stay on top, and even V/M are retiring, Montreal still has 2 top of top teams, and might probably have more with Laurence&Nikolaj (and maybe more). It might change after Beijing, who knows ?

The thing though is that there seems to be an healthy environment in Montreal, I did not hear anyone complain, but more saying that they do get equal time (even the young Ice Dacers said that).

gmyers

Record Breaker
This is what I think priroties are
1. Ladies
2. Pairs
3. Men
4. Synchro
5. Dance

I think synchro has replaced dance as an option for talent and funding

madison

Record Breaker
She will be working with Oleg Volkov, which is good news imo as he is strong technically and I felt that S/K and B/S really showed how much they missed his input particularly in the SD this season. But who will she be coaching? I can't imagine that she'd agree to move without having teams lined up... and will H/B, A/U and A/E be coming with her?

In what rink/club does Oleg Volkov work now? And does he have any teams right now?

uhh

Medalist
In what rink/club does Oleg Volkov work now? And does he have any teams right now?

I don't know what club he's at, although I believe he was working alongside Tchaikovskaya after he suddenly left Zhulin? And looked after S/K when they were bouncing around Russia after leaving Canton. But I don't think he has any top teams right now.