Wakaba's future medal hopes | Golden Skate

Wakaba's future medal hopes

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I love her two great programs. With who is going there what are the odds? Is Satoko going? Love these these two and prefer to watch them over Zagitova and clones.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmm.

Zag is confirmed.

The rest. Osmond, CaroK, Satoko, and Wakaba.

It's a possibility if she's perfect.

Koatterce

On the Ice
Country
Canada
I'd say she's chasing Alina, Kaetlyn, Satoko, and Carolina. So it's possible. Wakaba's SB (I believe) is higher than Carolina's (and lower than the other 3), but worlds are in Italy which might help Carolina. But it also depends on Kaetlyn and Carolina's cleanliness, and Satoko's underrotation calls.
If Wakaba isn't that clean, she could fall behind some others (like Maria or Gabby) as well.

I would say it all depends on how clean everyone is. But there's a chance she can medal if some of the top ladies falter and Wakaba skates great.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
I consulted the magic eight ball and it said: Ask again later.

Defective thing! I think it's going to keep saying that until the event is over and then it's going to claim it knew the answer all along. Not unlike some other folks.

steiner

Rinkside
If she skates clean she's in the conversation! I would be delighted if she medals, she has some of my favorite programs this season and is one of the most complete ladies' skaters in the field.

*~RussianBleux~*

Medalist
I love her two great programs. With who is going there what are the odds? Is Satoko going? Love these these two and prefer to watch them over Zagitova and clones.

Well Caro and Kaetlyn are inconsistent as all get out and Satoko has a tendency to UR. I think she can WIN if she skates clean and the judges give both her and Alina they PCS they deserve (which for Alina is roughly the PCS of a clean Kaori Sakamoto; for Wakaba it is > than that). But we all saw COC, so.

Sportfan

Match Penalty
I'm afraid no :( It seems as if the judges don't like her. I see more chances for the Canadian ladies

sakurano

Final Flight
I really like Wakaba and all her programs, because she puts personality on the ice but I do not think she will get on the podium. In the challenge cup she had lower marks than she would have in spite of the fall which proves that the judges do not like her too much.
However, there is one side of me who tells me that she can surprise us so I wish her two wonderful programs that she can be proud of.

Sk8rBoii

On the Ice
Of course she can medal. Almost anything can happen in skating. In fact, I would be surprised if Higuchi didn't at least come close to medalling. I hope she redeems herself in Milan, after not being sent to PyeongChang.

After Vancouver Olympics it was thought Queen Yuna would take gold at worlds - no questions asked. She had been unbeatable the whole season, and with a huuuuge margin.
But she had a minor meltdown in her short, placed 7th to everyone's surprise, and lost nearly all her chances at winning. She salvaged some with her freeskate, but managed only to take home silver.
After that I've tried to avoid thinking anyone as an obvious winner - or that anyone would be obviously out of the race for medals (same year, Lepisto. Perhaps the biggest surprise I can remember in recent years).

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
It is entirely possible. Usually the skates at a worlds following the olympics are weaker and she didn't go to the olympics, technically and artistically is a marvel. Osmond, Carolina andSatoko all have issues, Maria is blah, Gabby has huge issues so yes she could medal for sure. I think though with worlds being in Italy and it might be the swan song it will be hard to knock Carolina off the podium. The judges love her as we saw at the olympics. It would not surprise me to see Dabin fall down the list and an American rising up. I am thinking Bradie or Mirai not so much Mariah.

Shayuki

Record Breaker
She definitely can medal. Even if the 2 first spots are a lock, Wakaba's one of the strongest contenders for Bronze and should have it if she skates clean.

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
I think the only lock for a medal at this point is Zagitova but...stranger things have happened.

Definitely think Wakaba can place top 5 if she's clean. I don't doubt she's been staying in shape as she's known since nationals that she and not Kaori would be going to worlds...I am wondering about her mental game though. Wakaba was so strong all season and then started to lose steam at the Final and again at nationals. Hopefully she's rebounded. Post-Olympic worlds aren't usually the best skated events as most of the skaters are coming off of Olympic performances and are a bit drained from the season. If Wakaba can throw down like we know she can, she will definitely put pressure on everyone else to deliver.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
She has to control her nerves---that's job 1 for her. If something goes wrong at the beginning of her skate, she can't let it affect what comes after.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
She has tendency to be underscored while others' scores are upped to sky. So......

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
She can top 70 in the SP, so she can get in the final group for the LP. From there, anything can happen. I agree with Mathman that Alina is probably out of reach, but everyone else in the event can be hit-or-miss.

crazydreamer

On the Ice
I definitely think she can, but she has to be clean. Osmund and Carolina can easily fall, and Satoko is prone to underrotations.