Wakaba's future medal hopes | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Wakaba's future medal hopes

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
If everyone is scored fairly, Wakaba should be ahead of Satoko, and I would love to see this happen. She had so much momentum last season that I believed she would medal at the Olympics with two very good programs.

vavavoom

Rinkside
Of course.

Only Alina is a lock.

I do think she is the fifth likeliest to medal, but even a silver would not shock me. Though maybe in terms of the longterm plan and not to put too much pressure on her, just maybe... a fourth place would be the best for her career at this point.

macy

Record Breaker
if she skates 2 solid programs, I think she has a really good chance. her programs are KILLER this year (especially that skyfall free :bow: )

russell30

Final Flight
Agreed One of the Best FS's in Ladies this year, but her PCS will hurt her and will they be bold and place her ahead of Satoko!

BUT yes she can podium, it seems Gold is locked with Zagitova unless Osmond pulls off what she did in Olympics - Osmond the only one that could beat Zagitova if she is faultless well she should win in my view if she is her skating skills are superior regardless of Zagitova's jump layout!!

But Wakaba could get Bronze!!

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
I hope and believe that Wakaba will medal :thumbsup: :love: I think that Satoko is slightly more likely though, but there's also an outside chance that they both do. I see though Carolina Kostner on the podium though.

Well Caro and Kaetlyn are inconsistent as all get out and Satoko has a tendency to UR. I think she can WIN if she skates clean and the judges give both her and Alina they PCS they deserve (which for Alina is roughly the PCS of a clean Kaori Sakamoto; for Wakaba it is > than that). But we all saw COC, so.

This is actually true but we know it will not happen. She apparently has already on her record PCS like Yu-Na Kim after like 9 years of polishing her skating, competing internationally and they are not going to take back that inflated 2nd mark from Zagitova even if there were 9 new completely different judges. This would be very unusual, merely a pipe dream. I do wonder how they would mark Zagitova if she represented Japan, Ukraine or France ...

Warwick360

Medalist
Don't know about medals, but I really hope she gets that 3 spots for Japanese team this time. Otherwise, the Japanese fed might as well take away her spot next time even if she earns it fairly next year. :devil:

kenboy123

On the Ice
She has a much chance as Sotskova, Daleman, Kostner and anyone in that category...

PS: I don't include Miyahara or Osmond in this category....

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
Wakaba is my favorite current skater so take that into account. Yes- I think she can medal, but she has to throw down clean skates with minimal technical dings. She can do it if she masters her mental game. I have a feeling she will come prepared.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Wakaba is my favorite current skater so take that into account. Yes- I think she can medal, but she has to throw down clean skates with minimal technical dings. She can do it if she masters her mental game. I have a feeling she will come prepared.

Yes another Wakaba fan. Pls someone tell me why she is not scored higher? I read judges don’t like her body. Is this true? She is so dynamic, a true total package for me. I hope Satoko and Wakaba do well. I just prefer the programs to the
Russians although Evgenia grew on me this year.

Zagitova is an energizer bunny not a ballerina. The Japanese aesthetic is apparent in their skaters. well I love5 Japanese girls but my two faves skate once more. I hope Wakaba is well rested and she should have been at Olympics. Oh well.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
I love how you're a total Wakaba convert now. :ghug: :cheer:

No, I am not. I just try to be impartial. I do like her James Bond program although her most impressive performance was the very first one when I said "Wow!" to myself. I do recognize that she jumps big and skates fast but...

in general I prefer more subtle skating. That's why I was Yulia's uber, that's why I prefer Medvedeva to Zagitova.

Saying that among top non-Russian contenders I will root for Wakaba. I am tired of Caro's overscoring and I also understand how desperately Wakaba needs redemption for the last Worlds and not getting to the Olympics. She seems to be a very nice girl and Evgenia's friend.

Globetrotter

Medalist
Wakaba’s scoring potential is possibly the highest among current Japanese seniors. If she skates well, she will medal. Her major disadvantage is that judges tend to score her opponents high in PCS and yet hold back on hers. She had not yet found favour with the judges where PCS is concerned. But otherwise, she is a very strong medal contender.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
She can definitely place top 5, but will require clean skates and some luck to place on the podium. If Zagitova/Miyahara/Osmond are clean there's no chance and even a decent performance from Kostner should get the PCS to beat her. If Sotskova regains her form and Sakamoto goes clean they will be hard to beat too. I'm just glad Wakaba has this opportunity!! :)

Seruleane

Final Flight
I hope Wakaba is seeing a sports psychologist to help her handle pressure/nerves better. I don't know if it's just an innate quality, or if it can be trained, but certain skaters such as Satoko or any of Eteri's ladies seem to cope with pressure much more successfully. Seeing her so strong at the beginning of the season, and faltering now when the pressure is higher, is just heart breaking.

yoloaxel

Record Breaker
I hope Wakaba is seeing a sports psychologist to help her handle pressure/nerves better. I don't know if it's just an innate quality, or if it can be trained, but certain skaters such as Satoko or any of Eteri's ladies seem to cope with pressure much more successfully. Seeing her so strong at the beginning of the season, and faltering now when the pressure is higher, is just heart breaking.

Agree 100%, I really do think that after GPF and JNats she has lost confidence and it seems like this is affecting her performance a lot. She should see a sports psychologist because she has sooo much talent!