Yuzuru's 2018 Olympic FS | Golden Skate

Yuzuru's 2018 Olympic FS

NadezhdaNadya

Final Flight
I think it is really unfortunate what happened to Yuzuru. Because of his injury, (he had while practicing his quad lutz) he could not perform his planned 5 quads from 4 different types (toe loop, salchow, loop and lutz ) during Winter Olympics. So instead, he had to perform 4 quads from only 2 different types (toe loop and salchow).

I'm not sure I understand what this thread is supposed to discuss.

It was a good FS, not his best. He didn't need to perform five quads, and risking further injury when he didn't wouldn't have been wise.

NadezhdaNadya

Final Flight
I'm not sure I understand what this thread is supposed to discuss.

It was a good FS, not his best. He didn't need to perform five different quads, and risking further injury when he didn't wouldn't have been wise.
Well, there were several guys who had bigger technical score than him - Nathan, Shoma, Boyang and Vincent. They all performed harder quads than him... Some even performed 5 and 6 quads... And it was not even his fault... He was injured...

Well, there were several guys who had bigger technical score than him - Nathan, Shoma, Boyang and Vincent. They all performed harder quads than him... Some even performed 5 and 6 quads... And it was not even his fault... He was injured...

He had a big enough lead from the SP to warrant not having to do 5 quads. His PCS scores were bound to be top of the field, too. He scores GOEs at the top of the field, too.

Old Cat Lady

On the Ice
While it is admirable that he wants to keep pushing himself, it was foolish for him to even do the 4th quad he did. At some point, you need to prioritize strategy. He probably could have won the free skate if he just did a second 3 axel + combo another jump.

While it is admirable that he wants to keep pushing himself, it was foolish for him to even do the 4th quad he did. At some point, you need to prioritize strategy. He probably could have won the free skate if he just did a second 3 axel + combo another jump.

He would have had to make sure he stayed competitive and had no chance of losing, in case the rest of the top 4 went clean. If he'd done three quads, and had flubbed one of them, for instance, Shoma might have taken it had he gone clean. 4 quads was a good strategy.

5 really would have been pointless (and dangerous) as Chen was too far behind and probably wouldn't have caught up even if he'd done 6 clean quads. None of the top four were doing more than 4, and were all bound to get lower PCS and GOE (except Javi, who could pull the same, but had one less quad).

NadezhdaNadya

Final Flight
I think it is great that he pushes himself.
He is the first skater in history who landed quad loop in competition!
And he has landed 4 different types of quads in competition! :) Admirable!

Interspectator

Record Breaker
https://youtu.be/23EfsN7vEOA?t=4m22s Best part of the program was how strong he finished with the Choreo sequence. Look at the fierce smile on his face and joy in skating.
Usually, after any not-perfect skate Yuzu says 'Kuyashii' -frustrated, and then lists what he needs to work on. But this time he said he was completely satisfied that he did all he could do and that he knew he had won, and had won over himself, as soon as he had finished skating.
That's the feeling I have from watching his FP. Everything he could do he did do, and the result was Gold. No regret.

https://twitter.com/axel_bluemoon/status/976290879894781952 I mean, look at this smile, he's having the time of his life. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Yes, agree, but see how Nathan's fans behave... As If Nathan is some kind of God... because he has landed 5 different types of quads and because he landed 6 quads in his Olympics FS.

One skater’s remarkable achievement does not detract in any way from another’s. Yuzu and Nathan were god-like in the eyes of their fans in the free skate With good reasons. We can celebrate both.:points:

Sportfan

Match Penalty
Yes, agree, but see how Nathan's fans behave... As If Nathan is some kind of God... because he has landed 5 different types of quads and because he landed 6 quads in his Olympics FS.

I see these kind of things only from people who know nothing about figure skating- but the (US) media is telling them how great someone is bc of the mannyyyy quads and people believe it :laugh:
How can you even call a"God" someone, who hasn't achieved any special results in his sport, is beyond me.

Yuzuru is beating these "quadstars" with only quad salchow and toe loop, at the age of 23 (imagine, before olympics, some called him "too old" :sarcasm:).
Beat that :coffee:

Danibellerika

Medalist
It's sport and **** happens. Yuzu and the brilliant Team Orser took lemons, made lemonade, and then threw some golden ice cubes in there for good measure. And it tastes like sweet sweet victory. He beat the rest of the field by the largest margin compared to the other disciplines where the gold/silver gaps were painfully close. There was no winner at the Olympics that won both their short and free, but champs are champs nevertheless. Welcome to figure skating.