Zagitova: "Today I felt a bit tight" | Golden Skate

Zagitova: "Today I felt a bit tight"

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Zagitova, who remains undefeated in every competition thus far this season, had a slightly tight landing on her triple Lutz-triple loop, but nailed her triple flip and double Axel in her “Black Swan” routine. The 2018 Olympic champion also showed strong level 4 spins and footwork, finishing a close second behind Kostner with a score of 79.51 (42.51 /37.00). Her technical element score was nearly three points less than what she earned in Pyeongchang last month (45.30), mostly due to lower GOEs.

“Today I felt a bit tight in my body, maybe some nerves, although I don’t know why,” the 15-year-old confessed. “But I’m glad I managed to skate a clean program, although there were some little mistakes which was not good. To be honest, I was more nervous here than at the Olympics.”

There were factors in terms of regrouping after the Olympics for the diminutive skater who trains in Moscow.

“Of course it is very interesting for me to be at international competitions as it is only my second season competing internationally,” she said. “At each competition, I am learning something new, so I’m very happy to be here. After the Olympic Games, it was obviously very difficult to come back to training. I spent a lot of emotion there, so to recover from all that in a short time was not easy."

More...

Last edited:

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
Just ready to see her slay on Friday and become the first skater to win EVERYTHING in her debut senior season...

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I expect she will, I don't expect Carolina to match the technical base Alina has (she didn't in the Short, Kostner's Tech score was still lower than Zagitova's) while stamina is another thing. Still, I am very happy for Carolina that she put out the SP of her life in front of the Home Crowd. Just hoping she will manage to perform the long good enough to medal.

Scott512

Record Breaker
Just ready to see her slay on Friday and become the first skater to win EVERYTHING in her debut senior season...

I hope it happens. But Alina is only human and she may be tired and now the focus is 100% on her without Medvedeva there. Go Alina! And congrats to Carolina on a great skate and great career.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I thought it was rather nice she remarked in an interview how she admires Carolina, her longevity, and such. I bet she'll rally for the Free (this is Alina after all, we've seen it before) but she certainly is gracious in losing (the SP). Lovely to see her taking it like that. She's only 15 after all, and such a remark shows great maturity and sportmanship too.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
This: "Carolina Kostner is my idol," she added. "I am looking up to her and I am very happy for her that she was able to do her best performance today."

likevelvet

#Bless this mess
On the Ice
Country
United-States
Every interview I've ever read with her has been so collected and kind. I'm always so impressed with her maturity and diplomacy, given her age, and this is from someone who is taking a while to warm up to her skating.

ETA: I wish her luck in the free! Hopefully she can feel good about her overall experience at Worlds.

Tulipstar

Medalist
Good luck to her in the Free, and then I hope Alina will have a nice, very-deserved vacation.

Alina is perfectly positioned for the free skate. Carolina -- well, it's better to be first than second, but the chance that she can duplicate her superb performance and sustain it through the whole four minutes is slight. Alina does not need a repeat of her Olympic performance. All she needs in order to win is a pretty good, cleahish sort of skate.

Scott512

Record Breaker
Every interview I've ever read with her has been so collected and kind. I'm always so impressed with her maturity and diplomacy, given her age, and this is from someone who is taking a while to warm up to her skating.

ETA: I wish her luck in the free! Hopefully she can feel good about her overall experience at Worlds.

That is just who she is. A kind sweet young lady. Hard to believe Alina is only 15.

stella luna

Final Flight
She seemed hyper while in position to start her program, not calm. You could see she was breathing quickly.

stella luna

Final Flight
I thought it was rather nice she remarked in an interview how she admires Carolina, her longevity, and such. I bet she'll rally for the Free (this is Alina after all, we've seen it before) but she certainly is gracious in losing (the SP). Lovely to see her taking it like that. She's only 15 after all, and such a remark shows great maturity and sportmanship too.

It's nice to hear some good sportsmanship.