As promised: Bagged Milk | Page 5 | Golden Skate

As promised: Bagged Milk

Ravyn Rant

Totally 80s Dance Party!
Medalist
Before this topic came up in the pairs thread, I did not know that bagged milk was a thing. Is it udder-ly delicious?

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
One of the nice things about Golden Skates is the opportunities to learn about other skaters, people, and cultures that you wouldn't be exposed to . normally.

If you try to open your mind, you might benefit by having... a more open mind?

no I meant odd that some people in my country have it and some don't....

- - - Updated - - -

Well.. as we have learned there are some places in America with bagged milk.

I really only started this thread because people had so many questions in the Pairs LP thread and it was making certain posters very unhappy to have it discussed there.

See if you can make it to worlds in 2020 and I'll bring you a bag of milk for you to try.

haha, if I have money, but big if right there....

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Grew up in SE Louisiana. We didn't have bagged milk like one would buy at the grocery, but I sure did grow up drinking chocolate milk out of individual bags with straws for all 12 years of public school lunch.

Is there a particular weak spot for the straw or do you just pick a spot and jab away? Does the milk leak /spurt out like juice from a drink box if you hold the box too tight at first?

Shandy

On the Ice
Is there a particular weak spot for the straw or do you just pick a spot and jab away? Does the milk leak /spurt out like juice from a drink box if you hold the box too tight at first?

When you stab the straw in, you put your thumb over the free end to keep anything from coming out. Mostly we stabbed as close as possible to the direct center, so that when you set the bag down, the free end of the straw didn't rest at a height lower than the bag end; that's a quick way to get leakage.

We also tended to leave the bag in our tray and lean down to drink from it, but as long as you kept the end of the straw higher than the bag and didn't go crazy squeezing it, there were rarely any leakage issues holding it.

Last edited:

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
This thread is making me want to try strawberry milk, which according to a quick google search seems to be only available in Canada in 1L cartons :palmf:

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
This thread is making me want to try strawberry milk, which according to a quick google search seems to be only available in Canada in 1L cartons :palmf:

It is indeed available in most grocery stores near me. I have never seen it in 4L bag size. One imagines that no one needs that much strawberry milk. You can buy chocolate milk in the 4L size. I lived with someone who couldn't drink white milk but needed to have milk in their diet because they hated everything else high in calcium more (green leafy veg for example) so they only drank chocolate milk and sometimes strawberry milk (we bought the big pink bunny syrup for that)

Never put it in tea.. it's super gross.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I use chocolate soy beverage (pseudo-milk) in coffee when it's available and regular white milk isn't. It's not bad at all.

NOTE: available means in my fridge, not at the store. They're always bot available in stores!

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
It is indeed available in most grocery stores near me. I have never seen it in 4L bag size. One imagines that no one needs that much strawberry milk. You can buy chocolate milk in the 4L size. I lived with someone who couldn't drink white milk but needed to have milk in their diet because they hated everything else high in calcium more (green leafy veg for example) so they only drank chocolate milk and sometimes strawberry milk (we bought the big pink bunny syrup for that)

Never put it in tea.. it's super gross.

Speaking of bagged chocolate milk, when I was in university, my housemate left a bag of chocolate milk in the fridge for far too long so all I saw was a breakdown of mold, chocolate powder, and water :shocked:. I have never looked at bagged chocolate milk the same again. Sorry folks, but you still need to drink bagged milk responsibly.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Speaking of bagged chocolate milk, when I was in university, my housemate left a bag of chocolate milk in the fridge for far too long so all I saw was a breakdown of mold, chocolate powder, and water :shocked:. I have never looked at bagged chocolate milk the same again. Sorry folks, but you still need to drink bagged milk responsibly.

Indeed. But then if it was left in the carton it would also be disgusting. The worse thing ever as far as that kind of thing was when I was housesitting for someone and I always provide a list of possible things I can do when I house sit. Cleaning out the fridge and defrosting the freezer is one of them. So years ago I was cleaning out the fridge for this yuppie couple who had gone on a cruise in Greece and I came across a container of cream cheese that was (and I'm not joking) a black and green completely liquid ooze and a jar of salsa that had huge floating green chunks. I nearly wretched.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I am confused. Your only options seem to be cartons or weird bags. What about bottles? You don't have plastic milk bottles?

MalAssada

Medalist
We have them in Brazil. I prefer buying overpriced powdered milk, though, because I enjoy eating it :slink:

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
I am confused. Your only options seem to be cartons or weird bags. What about bottles? You don't have plastic milk bottles?

My parents, who were both from England, thought bagged milk was an abomination and constantly talked about how much better it was to have a milkman who delivered milk to the door in bottles. It wasn't until I was much older that I had milk in bags.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
We have them in Brazil. I prefer buying overpriced powdered milk, though, because I enjoy eating it :slink:

This is like people who eat brownie mix or cookie dough I guess. You like what you like. No shame in it unless you force other people to eat it who don't want to.

brens78

Medalist
Country
Australia
I was talking to my mother about this yesterday and she was stunned! If bagged milk was a thing in Australia, she'd empty the bag and put it in a glass pitcher!

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
I was talking to my mother about this yesterday and she was stunned! If bagged milk was a thing in Australia, she'd empty the bag and put it in a glass pitcher!

This might be the most educational thread on the entire board right now.

Thread of the YEAR!