2018-19 Russian Ladies' figure skating | Page 964 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Russian Ladies' figure skating

Scott512

Record Breaker
I know they shouldn't, but we all know that both Evgenia and Alina had said that it indeed affected them, at least for part of the season. I agree their close ones are very important, once again confirmed by both.

So with this win, has Alina completed a "career grand slam"? It seems she won every major title at the junior and senior level.

Yessssssss! Alina is a GOAT too at the tender age of 16. Amazing. And to think Eteri almost got rid of her 3 years ago. But she gave Alinka a second chance and that changed everything.

Scout

Final Flight
But think about how many senior men have the same success rate on a 4l. It isn’t a consistent jump for anyone.

Also, this is the first year putting 4Lz in competitions.

I think if you look at Sasha's quad rate success last year and this year, my guess it's that the success rate higher this year, particularly on the 4T, which she also competed last year.

I'm just in awe of those two girls, the ability and the guts. So much respect them!

DougDorsey

On the Ice
That's a little bit strange. Alina seemed as if she had enough confidence through the practice sessions and the competition and didn't look as someone who wanted to withdraw just a couple of days prior. Could it be that there was another reason for those thoughts? Did Eteri elaborate any further?

Here's a video with the comment from Eteri...https://youtu.be/tSvO1XJNVBY. She doesn't really elaborate any further. There's chance she's just messing around? It's tough to tell, her sense of humor is so dry.

leilaraj

On the Ice
Here's a video with the comment from Eteri...https://youtu.be/tSvO1XJNVBY. She doesn't really elaborate any further. There's chance she's just messing around? It's tough to tell, her sense of humor is so dry.

She mentions again and again that the preparation for worlds was mentally/psychologically very hard for the whole team.. so I guess that would have been the main reason why they would have WD

r2d2

On the Ice

only non russians could believe that she was planning to WD. i see this: Eteri enters room, Kogan and Gorshkov are sitting. Eteri says Alina WD from competition. Kogan smiles and answers: sure, sure, mental health is more important than medals. do you want some polo yyy cognac.

Georgya

On the Ice
only non russians could believe that she was planning to WD. i see this: Eteri enters room, Kogan and Gorshkov are sitting. Eteri says Alina WD from competition. Kogan smiles and answers: sure, sure, mental health is more important than medals. do you want some polo yyy cognac.

I'm curious what do you think would have happend if let's say Alina really had a crisis or a nervous/mental breakdown (happens to everybody in life, myself included) and said she wanted to WD. Kogan with the rest of Rus fed would have put a AK47 to her head and force her to skate? I know that rusfed has a lot of strings to pull but this it not communist Russia where you really have no options anymore.

VenusHalley

Final Flight
I heard some rumor there was a test skate after euros, whre alina fell 5 times and ran off the ice crying...

Anyways.... it is interesting she said she was NOT doing endless runthroughs, she spent time off ice with her puma stuff.... and seemed to skate better. Hopefully Eteri can learn from this... that sometimes easing up is what works for some.

madison

Record Breaker

I totally agree with that.
And even more, knowing Eteri I doubt she even considered to wd Alina. Maybe she said that to her just to scare her, to motivate her, to make her want to go to Worlds.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
I totally agree with that.
And even more, knowing Eteri I doubt she even considered to wd Alina. Maybe she said that to her just to scare her, to motivate her, to make her want to go to Worlds.

No, I don't think so. The uncharacteristic long hug Alina received after her free skate from Eteri Georgyevna, indicated to me something must have happened, even Dudakov was looking relieved.

It is in the past now, and the parties involved will quickly forget it ever happened. All parties emerged stronger and wiser.

madison

Record Breaker
No, I don't think so. The uncharacteristic long hug Alina received after her free skate from Eteri Georgyevna, indicated to me something must have happened, even Dudakov was looking relieved.

It is in the past now, and the parties involved will quickly forget it ever happened. All parties emerged stronger and wiser.

I think Alina felt enormous pressure, that's it.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
I think Alina felt enormous pressure, that's it.

Many sportsperson biggest fear is 'the fear of failure' akin to anxiety in the extreme. They know they can, they know they want, but suddenly they all lock up psychologically and sometimes even physically and can become sort of paralysed even.
https://www.competitivedge.com/overcoming-performance-fears-and-blocks-all-sports
https://www.psychologytoday.com/int...1/the-effects-psychology-athletic-performance

Like the linked articles say, trainers need to thread very delicately around this, and it seems #TeamTutberidze succeeded.

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
Everyone is talking about how the 3A will dominate next season, but I think that one of them will hit puberty and lose her jumps. What do y’all think? I mean, Eteri has improved her technique somewhat, but not completely.

P44

On the Ice
Everyone is talking about how the 3A will dominate next season, but I think that one of them will hit puberty and lose her jumps. What do y’all think? I mean, Eteri has improved her technique somewhat, but not completely.

I'm not convinced by that personally, but I don't think that the 3A will crush everything next season.
Besides, I often have trouble adhering to the argument of puberty. Everyone said that Alina was done because of that last year after worlds but we can see right now that it was wrong.
I think the effects of puberty are real, but I think there are often other problems in parallel. Nobody loses all her jumps "just" because of puberty.

moriel

Record Breaker
I entirely believe that Alina could have WD from Worlds.
1. She was clearly distressed during RusNats and Euros. Also, during the whole season, there was a HUGE pressure on her to "prove herself", "prove she is not a one-time wonder" and so on. Every mistake was broadcasted on national media (headers like "Zagitova is first, but made mistakes")
2. If she was not clean at Worlds, russian media and russian coaches (TAT and Co) would have eaten her alive. She would be bashed openly, people would scream "SHE LOST" and so on. It was very unclear if she would be able to handle that without breaking.
3. She has long term knee issues. It is not like she is injury free. Chances are there is some other injury we don't know about.

Honestly, chances are, based on what she said in the interview, is that she possibly wanted to quit skating entirely.

Vandevska

U don't have to build the end of the world out it.
Medalist
I may be wrong, but I think if someone of the 3A is to suffer, it'll be Anna. Somehow Sasha and Alena look more sustainable.

r2d2

On the Ice
I'm curious what do you think would have happend if let's say Alina really had a crisis or a nervous/mental breakdown (happens to everybody in life, myself included) and said she wanted to WD. Kogan with the rest of Rus fed would have put a AK47 to her head and force her to skate? I know that rusfed has a lot of strings to pull but this it not communist Russia where you really have no options anymore.

it is not about commusnism or democracy, it is about sport. you can compare Eteri's girls to soldiers(special force) who are trained to one mission, medals. they have 10months training regime. no normal school, trainings all the time. broken bones, bruises, constant pain, strict diet, Eteris character, tensions, competitions. year after year. do they have breakdowns/crisis? of course, who wouldnt. but you cant WD. you can fall but you cant refuse to compete. it is like saying i want to retire(and in Russia they have 5 hungry girls who want your spot). they wont invest in someone who dont deliver or at least try hard.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker

I think 3A would dominate the senior scene but much like what happened at the beginning of this season someone will try and ultimately maybe find ways to convince one of those skaters to leave that group, because for obvious reasons there are many envy coaches in Russia, and maybe they still think they can achieve the same results by taking one of these girls which as proven most of the time it's not possible or that easy. I'm worried it could be Kostornaya the one to leave, but i hope they all stay.

As for Alina, they need to sit down and ask her if she still wants to continue now that she won everything, if she does maybe finding new goals like exploring new styles with her programs, and then acknowledging that her body is changing, so things need to be reworked, not everything will be as perfect as it was right away and she shouldn't compare herself too much with the youngsters because they'll have to face this as well eventually. If they keep everything as it has always been without fixing, we'll see these problems grow and that will lead to injuries and poor results.