2018-19 Russian Ladies' figure skating | Page 1004 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Russian Ladies' figure skating

Arbitrary

Medalist
Amazing post. You were on fire.

Alina should skate competitively as long as she feels like she could compete for metals. I don't understand why some people want her to step aside or some other skaters even if they're in their 20s it's like what the heck else are they going to do? Hoping her knees hold up the next few years so that she can skate at or near her best to continue to thrill us all.

The most amazing thing is how close Alina came to leaving her coach and that would have changed everything. But Eteri gave her a second chance and the rest is history. Amazing.

Many people prefer to see others on the podium and Alina may interfere with such an understandable desire. As we could see at WC-19 she may interfere up to the highest place available and ruin a lot of dreams.
The only side-effect here is to have a downgraded competition. WC with only 2-3 high grade skaters may be much lesser profitable than the same with 8-10 skaters.

Vandevska

U don't have to build the end of the world out it.
Medalist
In my opinion, as impressive it was last year when Alina won the OG, it's even more impressive this season since the field was much tougher. Presumably, she only had to compete with Evgenia last year, but this year if no one else, she had Rika. So, in my eyes it's an even greater victory.

Vandevska

Medalist
Okay, so it's a bit confusing having two threads on, but anyway: Yay Liza slayed today! Also, bravo to Sofia for adding the 3T to the loop!

Scott512

Record Breaker
Many people prefer to see others on the podium and Alina may interfere with such an understandable desire. As we could see at WC-19 she may interfere up to the highest place available and ruin a lot of dreams.
The only side-effect here is to have a downgraded competition. WC with only 2-3 high grade skaters may be much lesser profitable than the same with 8-10 skaters.

Your point on about your point about profitability. A lot of the ISU events have empty seats during the ladies competition. Can you imagine having Zagitova, Medvedeva and 3A at a competition? There would not be an empty seat.

I would hope someday the ISU would reward dominant countries more than they do. That Kazakhstan have as many spots at Worlds next year Russia does is not good for selling tickets This is a competitive sport it should be run as one. You can still have dozens countries represented at World championships and Olympics and Europeans and not damage that while still adding one or two more Russians or Japanese if they deserve it.

Scott512

Record Breaker
In my opinion, as impressive it was last year when Alina won the OG, it's even more impressive this season since the field was much tougher. Presumably, she only had to compete with Evgenia last year, but this year if no one else, she had Rika. So, in my eyes it's an even greater victory.

interesting point and yes in a way last season for Alina was better than her Olympic gold medal season. So few ladies Olympic champions and follow that up with a world title. Alina is in rare company doing that she is an all-time great but she doesn't act anything like that.

Finley

Record Breaker

I agree! She has achieved two amazing victories among all of her other victories. She has achieved all of this at 16. Who knows what else she can do? Who she might become?

As her fan I am here for it. For the people tired of her skating, don’t watch. It’s incredibly easy to avoid. The entirety of her skating in a season, if she skates at every possible competition, lasts about 49 minutes total. Go make yourself sandwich.

For those that are tired of her winning I’m sure there will be plenty of times in the future she won’t win. You can’t win all the time. As her fan I am here for that too.

Vandevska

Medalist
I agree! She has achieved two amazing victories among all of her other victories. She has achieved all of this at 16. Who knows what else she can do? Who she might become?

As her fan I am here for it. For the people tired of her skating, don’t watch. It’s incredibly easy to avoid. The entirety of her skating in a season, if she skates at every possible competition, lasts about 49 minutes total. Go make yourself sandwich.

For those that are tired of her winning I’m sure there will be plenty of times in the future she won’t win. You can’t win all the time. As her fan I am here for that too.

I just think it'll be hard for anyone in the future. There are so many good skaters, that it's ever-changing.

However, I agree with you on the "I'm here for that" part. Like, it was great seeing Evgenia win everywhere. It was also hard seeing her cry her eyes out at the OG, and even harder to watch her struggle this season. But I also cried MY eyes out during the WC this year out of happiness. You don't have to love someone only through their victories. If you're a true fan, even small things will give you joy.

Scott512

Record Breaker
I just think it'll be hard for anyone in the future. There are so many good skaters, that it's ever-changing.

However, I agree with you on the "I'm here for that" part. Like, it was great seeing Evgenia win everywhere. It was also hard seeing her cry her eyes out at the OG, and even harder to watch her struggle this season. But I also cried MY eyes out during the WC this year out of happiness. You don't have to love someone only through their victories. If you're a true fan, even small things will give you joy.
Such good points the ups and downs for the skaters are unbelievable and they're tough on the fans too. I have said that if Zhenya is bronze medal at Worlds this year probably means as much to her as one of her world gold medals. I know it sounds crazy to say that but she probably feels that. And then Alina had a very up-and-down season with the low points of Russian Nationals free skate and European free skate then she turns around bad skates great at Worlds to get gold.

Another pertinent point you made is that there are so many good skaters. It's true and it is ever-changing and with the quad queens and triple Axel girls it won't be easy for Zhenya and Alina to consistently be on the podium in the future. The fascinating thing will be to see this all unfold.

Vandevska

Medalist
It's true and it is ever-changing and with the quad queens and triple Axel girls it won't be easy for Zhenya and Alina to consistently be on the podium in the future.

I don't find this too hard to accept since I'm already invested in the 3A, and then Kamila to follow ^_^

Finley

Record Breaker

It's going to be incredibly hard. If it was easy it probably wouldn't be worth doing. And as a coach I know once said to some crying kids who weren't handling a defeat too well - If you don't want to lose, don't play. It's part of it.

Overcoming the hard part is what makes it worth it. Victories come in all shapes and sizes. They don't always come with any medal and sometimes only you know whether or not you won.

It can be hard as long as it's not impossible. Here's to all the skaters finding their victories. Here's to all skating fans celebrating those victories without having to be cruel to others.

Lechat

On the Ice
Country
France

True. When you think about it last year she had no threat at worlds but she failed. This year, there were so many great skaters like Rika, Kaori and Zhenia. Her victory has more meaning.

I just read through the last few pages of this thread and it’s kind of crazy. Alina said what she said. Let’s just all calm down and see what happens next season. Everyone was convinced Evgenia would and/or should retire after the Olympics. It is just part of being a skater in a very competitive country. I don’t think anyone posting in here wants to see these skaters retire young. However, we are all very aware of the fact that they have the right to retire and may have respectable reasons for doing so. I personally value longevity, but each skater is an individual and they have their own opinions and will make their own choices. I would like to see Alina and Evgenia succeed next season and show fans that success in Russia does not have to be short lived like it has been previously. Such talents should never feel the need to step aside for a new generation. Both can exist simultaneously. Be positive! :luv17:

Scott512

Record Breaker
I don't find this too hard to accept since I'm already invested in the 3A, and then Kamila to follow ^_^
I agree with you and I like 3A as well but they still have to do it and they're stepping into competition that's even greater than what they faced with each other in juniors when you consider the other adult Russian girls a few Japanese girls and a couple of American girls.