2018-19 Russian Ladies' figure skating

Corwin

On the Ice
Country
Russia
ESPN 25 most famous women athletes in the world
20. Alina Zagitova
Russia, figure skating
Talk about an Olympic moment. Sixteen-year-old Russian Alina Zagitova became the youngest figure skater since Tara Lipinski to win when she pipped training partner Evgenia Medvedeva for the gold in Pyeongchang. Her parents had her future in mind when they named her after Alina Kabaeva, the Russian rhythmic gymnast who won gold in Athens. (Side note: Kabaeva is also rumored to be Vladimir Putin's girlfriend.) Zagitova has since met Putin, who awarded her with the Order of Friendship for her accomplishments in Korea. -- Elaine Teng :palmf:

Miller

Final Flight
Yes but in SP her Lz-Lo combo is not that valuable. Historically, she's had more GOE on her 3Lz-3T combo in competition back when she was doing it in junior SP, and she's never messed it up, unlike the times 3Lz-3Lo gave her problems this season. I don't think it's worth the risk in SP. In FS, it is valuable, but the loop is the jump that had the greatest reduction in BV, so that combo is the one that gets hit the most. And its much easier to add a 3T to a scratchy Lz than a 3Lo. Obviously the -Lo combo is always worth more than -3T combo and lets her repeat the more difficult jumps in SP, but when you make mistakes on it, the consequences are more under new rules. I just think with the changes, she would have higher chances with the -3T, especially in SP.

It's an interesting question, and certainly for the SP. There's now 2.95 GOE points at stake rather than 2.1, and it'll be the same if the combination is 3Lz-3Lo. Also the BV difference has narrowed to 0.7/0.77 including the 10% bonus. It's certainly worth considering, or perhaps 3F-3Lo. That will get you exactly the same number of points as if you did 3Lz-3Lo, and there's still the chance of doing the latter if the 3F-3Lo doesn't go so well.

moriel

Record Breaker
ESPN 25 most famous women athletes in the world
20. Alina Zagitova
Russia, figure skating
Talk about an Olympic moment. Sixteen-year-old Russian Alina Zagitova became the youngest figure skater since Tara Lipinski to win when she pipped training partner Evgenia Medvedeva for the gold in Pyeongchang. Her parents had her future in mind when they named her after Alina Kabaeva, the Russian rhythmic gymnast who won gold in Athens. (Side note: Kabaeva is also rumored to be Vladimir Putin's girlfriend.) Zagitova has since met Putin, who awarded her with the Order of Friendship for her accomplishments in Korea. -- Elaine Teng :palmf:

I dont even read those descriptions anymore.
But still it is great that both Alina and Zhenya are on the list <3

lavoix

Match Penalty
I thought I'd ask here, but are the new code proposals final? What are they key changes so far for all disciplines?

sweetice

Praise the Ice God
Final Flight
I thought I'd ask here, but are the new code proposals final? What are they key changes so far for all disciplines?
The ISU still need to discuss them, between June 3 and 8. Only after that we'll know.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kGF1KSsPPE

I think the dominance of Russian girls skaters will continue regardless of what changes will be adopted.:люблю:

Funny thing about predictions, is that most fans don't have a great track record. I would never take competitors from Japan, USA, Canada and others for granted, or one could end up looking foolish. Insert the highly predicted russian ladies podium sweep of 2017-18, here. ;)

Ice as we know is slippery, and anything can happen.

moriel

Record Breaker
Funny thing about predictions, is that most fans don't have a great track record. I would never take competitors from Japan, USA, Canada and others for granted, or one could end up looking foolish. Insert the highly predicted russian ladies podium sweep of 2017-18, here. ;)

And how is your post anyhow related to russian ladies?

Shayuki

Record Breaker

Highly predicted sweep? No, I don't think anyone was predicting that Sotskova is in the top 3. What was predicted was top 2, which happened in the Olympics. Worlds during the olympics season is garbage time as everyone well knows, it's odd how much you prioritize it, especially as Medvedeva even withdrew.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
And how is your post anyhow related to russian ladies?

Unless you have misread moriel, the poster has predicted russian ladies domination and I cautioned them that this was previously promised and not delivered this season. If 2017-18 has taught us anything, it should serve as a reminder to never discount others, as per Worlds 2018.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
Worlds 2018 didn’t even have Medvedeva so...
Others don’t constantly discount your favorites so why do you always do this ?

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
Worlds 2018 didn’t even have Medvedeva so...
Others don’t constantly discount your favorites so why do you always do this ?

Who exactly did I discount, SfM? I am only suggesting to keep an open mind as we have loads of international talent, and ice as we know is slippery. Domination as was suggested, by one country in such a competitive field is to be fair, questionable. :confused2:

Tulipstar

Medalist
Highly predicted sweep? No, I don't think anyone was predicting that Sotskova is in the top 3. What was predicted was top 2, which happened in the Olympics.

That's pretty much how I remember the predictions from before the Olympics as well. People predicted the battle between Zagi and Meds, and then there were a couple of contenders for the bronze medal. Satoko, Carolina and Maria were seen to be contenders, but Kaetlyn was thought most likely to win bronze. And that is exactly what happened.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I certainly recall people discounting Masha as soon as the season started. Even after having success on the GP and especially at the GPF people still didn’t expect her to medal at Worlds or Olympics. I don’t remember anyone predicting a podium sweep.

No one expected Zhenya to get injured either. That really flipped the way things unfolded.

Tulipstar

Medalist
I certainly recall people discounting Masha as soon as the season started. Even after having success on the GP and especially at the GPF people still didn’t expect her to medal at Worlds or Olympics. I don’t remember anyone predicting a podium sweep.

No one expected Zhenya to get injured either. That really flipped the way things unfolded.

Yes, even despite her silver at GPF, I remember most comments about her and Olympics being along the lines of: she peaks early in the season and might have issues at the end. Unfortunately for Maria, this is exactly what happened.

I am sure she is a nice girl, but I am never very enthusiatic about her. It might be partly the programs, though. I hope she gets something better the coming season.
Daria Panenkova and Anastasia Gubanova might turn senior, so it will be harder to hold onto that third spot.

Am curious to see if Polina might be a strong contender as well.

tars

Record Breaker
Sorry, I have no idea who that is. All I know is out of the past 2 World podiums, Canadian women have captured 50% of podium placements. Shouldn't this be considered domination worthy, tars?
Canadian senior ladies totally kicked butts at latest Worlds, respect! I just felt compelled to signal the domination in the beauty department by miss Konstantinova. :agree: