Page 748 of 974 FirstFirst ... 248 648 698 738 739 740 741 742 743 744 745 746 747 748 749 750 751 752 753 754 755 756 757 758 798 848 ... LastLast
Results 14,941 to 14,960 of 19480

Thread: 2018-19 Russian Ladies' figure skating

Aleksandra Trusova: Driving Quads, Jumping Quads Edwin's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
    Has Tutberidze c.s. ever been offered a job abroad?

Would they accept an offer 'one cannot refuse' salary wise, etc., or would they prefer to stay where they are and work with the very best of the best young skaters from the country they way they want and think works out best? Like working in China with limitless budget to get CHN a gold medal in figure skating?

My guess is they'd rather stay at Khrustalniy, because that's the only place where they can work with children and adolescents the way they think is best.

Abroad in the west, you'd have to deal with parents and sponsors' money, 'skating mums' and a whole different culture with regard to pushing kids to their limits and beyond. Not to mention the legal aspects of child labour rules, medical insurance etc etc.

Perhaps in a decade from now?

Tripping on the Podium

3 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by samkrut@mail.ru View Post
    Yes, some posters here want us to believe that Japanese skaters overall have better posture and skating skills than the Russians especially those who are with Eteri who is just the genius of maximizing scores. Nothing new.
    Let’s not take this as Russian bashing. I don’t think anyone was implying that. There were just posts using examples of skaters like Zhenya and Zagi having to muscle and use their upper bodies to make their turns which makes for poorer carriage and glide. This was fundamentally hypothesized to be a relative weakness in the SS. We don’t see this issue in skaters like say Trusova and especially Kostornaia who have IMO stronger bladework.

Tripping on the Podium DenissVFan's Avatar

5 Not allowed!
    Liza is jumping again
    (Zhenya commented "❤️" under her post.)

Tripping on the Podium

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexz View Post
    OK, this raises the question: isnt it what all good professionals should do? Her team knows how to customize programmes to make their skaters look good and to get them maximum points. Raises another question: what stopping other coaches doing exactly that with their students? Is not it what sport is all about? To become better version of yourself and to squeeze as many points as possible?

You speaking like you exactly know her methods. Zhenya start losing it after not following doctor's advices and not wearing that orthopedic boot, and doing sponsors events and commercial shoots in Japan instead of giving her foot a rest despite all demands by coaches and doctors. Unfortunately she went South after Japan. Her silver at Olympics is her grit and super hardwork by coaches and herself. But being so reckless about health less than half a year before the main competition of her career was highly unprofessional and immature of Zhenya. As for Alina, well, she is growing. 7-10cm of extra height in a year is no joke. This affects her. So we wait and see. Also Brian Orser promised us Zhenya to have better SS. So we wait and see. I would love that.

Well, Eteri and everyone in her team are relatively very young coaches. Extremely young. They are adaptable and demonstrate ability to learn. Yulia was better than Polina. Zhenya is better than Yulia (and I love Lipnitskaya to pieces). Zhenya and Alina have comparable SS, but Alina is a better jumper. Current crop (3A squad) is turning seniors next year, but in terms of SS Alyona is already superior than Zhenya and Alina. Sasha and Anna is solid, and I'm sure they will be even better, better than Zhenya and Alina. And future generation that turn junior next season - Daria, Kamila and another awesome unknown skater in the wings - already at their age of 12 showing off their solid SS and artistry.

Frankly, I want to see any other non-Eteri 12-year-olds with comparable skating. There are some, but they are happen to live Russia too. Why we don't really see anyone produced by our North American coaches lately? Lovely Osmand only comes to mind. I see a lot of young girls training here in UTC Westfiled and SD ice arena. None of them can skate now like Russian or Japanese ladies do. Why can't they? Consistency in jumping - I get it, a lot of runthroughs and a lot of competing in different cities needed (like Russians are doing from the very young ages). That's USFS job. But I can't see any young skater at my local ice rinks even remotely comparable to up&coming crop in Moscow in term of SS. There always should be a potential to improve, to find new methods and to grow, but I feel like our North American coaches really did not get some sort of new memo or a book with new coaching methods or smth. Dunno. I don't get it.
    As you mentioned, Eteri and the Sambo 70 coaches are relatively new. I think they don’t have the baggages and expectations of the old guards. You can say that Eteri is relentless in a tough, pragmatic approach to max out scores but based on the skaters coming out of each quad, I can see that the method and approach looks different and is improving. Zagi and Med are from the previous quad. I am sure Eteri would have taken note of their struggles post growth and adjusted her methods for younger skaters accordingly, like for the 3As. Alyona is clearly the star example and I also think Trusova has very solid SS that is stronger than her predecessors, although she is weaker in the more performance aspect. Scherbakova is the most musical and reminds me of Cohen. I do see their stronger basics and although it remains to be seen, my gut feel is they will be less prone to the growing pains experienced by their predecessors due to their stronger foundation.

Why we don’t see any of this outside Russia, except for maybe Japan, is I think due to the emphasis and popularity of the sport. I recently traveled through Narita to the Midwest and Mao Asada and Marin Honda and Yuzu and Shoma were seen in lots of adverts in Narita. Japanese TV had skating interviews and stuff. I didn’t see the equivalent in US and my hypothesis is that FS is far less popular in US than Japan. I have not been through Russia but my gut feel is that skating is also more popular there than in North America. How much the federations are able to sell the popularity to the fans and public does matter. Asada, Yuzu and now Rika are the major faces for a Japan. Zhenya to me had been the real star of Russia as she has that charm and natural audience connection. The US? There is no MKwan equivalent, no Davis and White. Canada lost most of their PR greats after the last quad of PChan, Duhamel and Radford retired and Kaetlyn sat out this year. The lack of PR continuity surely contributed to the loss in popularity.

1 Not allowed!
    Valid points.

Figure skating is like gymnastics, you have to plan towards the future, sometimes two Olympic cycles in advance.
    Also, figure skating like gymnastics is an individual sport which puts high time and commitment demands on both athletes and their coaches.
    While the kids essentially work for free, the coaches have their own financial burdens to fulfil.
    Since the number of elite athletes per coach are small and good facilities are a necessity, this makes the sport of figure skating relatively expensive per head per year.
    It is good all those rinks have ice hockey teams regularly training and playing, proceedings from the team sport of ice hockey can sustain the rink to stay in business for figure skating.

Few programs have this stamina and long term planning, few sponsors this long term desire to invest and few Russian parents from the typical upper working class the skaters come from have this amount of money to spend on their child's tuition and training.
    I believe it can cost the US parent up to 100K for quite some years each, to have their child on the road to making the US national team in gymnastics.

On the Ice

3 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Edwin View Post
    Has Tutberidze c.s. ever been offered a job abroad?

Would they accept an offer 'one cannot refuse' salary wise, etc., or would they prefer to stay where they are and work with the very best of the best young skaters from the country they way they want and think works out best? Like working in China with limitless budget to get CHN a gold medal in figure skating?

My guess is they'd rather stay at Khrustalniy, because that's the only place where they can work with children and adolescents the way they think is best.

Abroad in the west, you'd have to deal with parents and sponsors' money, 'skating mums' and a whole different culture with regard to pushing kids to their limits and beyond. Not to mention the legal aspects of child labour rules, medical insurance etc etc.

Perhaps in a decade from now?
    lmao at this weak attempt to stir up drama but i'll bite. "skating moms" are not only a north american thing, they're pretty universal. eteri has talked about dealing with parents before, yulia's mom sounded like handful. she's also coached in america before so i'm pretty sure she knows about child labour laws and insurance. and from what i've seen she's not "pushing kids to their limits and beyond", it seems like the kids are trying to push themselves to their limits and she and her team try their best to deal with it.

at the end of the day it'd probably be business as usual, eteri would keep coaching winners and people would keep finding new things to complain about

0 Not allowed!
    LOL, I am not here to create drama.

What works in and for Russia doesn't necessarily have to work elsewhere.

The basis of success in any sport are the same, the circumstances differ.

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam-Skwantch View Post
    I appreciate the response

Did they remove the term posture from the handbook or has it always been absent?
    The old language (under P&E) was

Carriage

Carriage is a trained inner strength of the body that makes possible ease of movement from the center of the body.
    I think the emphasis was on inner core strength. In ice dance (as in dance generally) I think that each type of ballroom dance has it's own expected posture and attitude.

The ISU has become increasingly stingy in elucidating the criteria for the various program components, compared to when the CoP first came out. I always wondered if that was because they decided that trying to over-define artistic qualities was not very helpful in terms of judging.

Tripping on the Podium

3 Not allowed!
    Liza just posted her 2A+3T+2T combo, i think soon she will get her 3A back (and 3Lz+3T if she have not get it back yet) nice to see her recovering pretty quickly!

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    I always wondered if that was because they decided that trying to over-define artistic qualities was not very helpful in terms of judging.
    Micro managing the Code in subjective matters like artistry is never a good idea.

All Hail Empress Eteri Spirals for Miles's Avatar

4 Not allowed!
    Moscow Cup:

Juniors:
    1. Kamila Valieva
    2. Maya Kromykh
    3. Alena Kanysheva

Seniors:
    1. Ksenia Sinitsyna
    2. Anastasia Gracheva
    3. Ksenia Tsibinova

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Spirals for Miles View Post
    Moscow Cup:

Juniors:
    1. Kamila Valieva
    2. Maya Kromykh
    3. Alena Kanysheva

Seniors:
    1. Ksenia Sinitsyna
    2. Anastasia Gracheva
    3. Ksenia Tsibinova
    Yay for Kanysheva getting a medal! What happened to Usacheva, though? Wasn‘t she competing, too and had a pretty good SP?

Bona Fide Member

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Spirals for Miles View Post
    Moscow Cup:

Juniors:
    1. Kamila Valieva
    2. Maya Kromykh
    3. Alena Kanysheva

Seniors:
    1. Ksenia Sinitsyna
    2. Anastasia Gracheva
    3. Ksenia Tsibinova
    How did Kanysheva do in the free?

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by rachno2 View Post
    How did Kanysheva do in the free?
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WH-yjftP6XQ

She has a new layout. 3Lz-3Lo and 3Lz-3T instead of 3Lz-3T and an Euler combo, I think? Didn‘t look as confident and secure as in the JGPF but that‘s probably due to the new jumps she is trying. I don‘t know whether that‘s such a good idea before JuniorNats, actually since she has basically only one way of getting a ticket to JuniorWorlds anyway and that‘s being clean while others make mistakes. If the 3A are all clean, I doubt she has a chance anyway, even with an improved layout. I think she should stick to “playing it safe“ but maybe that‘s her plan for next year already, trying to stand out in the new wave of Eteri students coming to Juniors?

Bona Fide Member

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by samkrut@mail.ru View Post
    Yes, some posters here want us to believe that Japanese skaters overall have better posture and skating skills than the Russians especially those who are with Eteri who is just the genius of maximizing scores. Nothing new.
    I don’t know if this is our fault for not expressing things clearly, or if you genuinely believe that any critique of a Russian skater comes from a place of nationally-motivated bias. Neither I nor the original critic ever posted that Japanese girls are better than Russian girls. We noticed that many (not all) of Tutberidze’s skaters have poor posture, and speculated that Eteri was putting more emphasis on run-throughs/jump consistency than on developing lasting skating skills. There are merits to this method (SS is just one measly category in PCS, after all), and nobody can say Eteri has not achieved great results. There are also exceptions, like Kostornaia and Trusova, who has markedly improved her posture and skating skills.

Given its depth of talent, I follow Russian ladies more closely than probably any other national discipline, and I actively root for many of them, including some of Tutberidze’s present and former students. So please spare me this “national jealousy” BS.

Quote Originally Posted by Fluture View Post
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WH-yjftP6XQ

She has a new layout. 3Lz-3Lo and 3Lz-3T instead of 3Lz-3T and an Euler combo, I think? Didn‘t look as confident and secure as in the JGPF but that‘s probably due to the new jumps she is trying. I don‘t know whether that‘s such a good idea before JuniorNats, actually since she has basically only one way of getting a ticket to JuniorWorlds anyway and that‘s being clean while others make mistakes. If the 3A are all clean, I doubt she has a chance anyway, even with an improved layout. I think she should stick to “playing it safe“ but maybe that‘s her plan for next year already, trying to stand out in the new wave of Eteri students coming to Juniors?
    I think the Junior World Team is set, barring a complete disaster (and even then I think it is still set). At SeniorNats, the most vulnerable of the 3A was Anna, and she won the damn thing! So Kanysheva is probably trying to stand out for next season, like you said. But I would think two clean skates here, compounded with her JGPF bronze, would help her on that front as much as introducing a 3Lz-3Lo combination would. I admire her taking a risk, though.

2 Not allowed!
    Also: Is this a new video? I have never seen it before.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=i1BAGf3FxUk

3A dancing.

All Hail Empress Eteri Spirals for Miles's Avatar

1 Not allowed!
    Yay for Kanysheva getting a medal! What happened to Usacheva, though? Wasn‘t she competing, too and had a pretty good SP?
    She fell twice - on her 3Lz and her second 3F. She also stepped out, on a 3Lo and her first 3F, so she only had one combo (2A-3T)

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by j00mla View Post
    some trolls do, in most cases they already in my ignore list
    Yes, because voicing reasonable criticism in a respectful tone is certainly trolling...

It‘s been said multiple times already that this is not all Russian ladies and nothing against Russian ladies in general. I don‘t see why it‘s an issue to state that someone could work more on posture. It‘s like pointing out someone has a flutz. Hunching forwards while doing crossovers is bad technique and a sign of not having the best skating skills. It‘s also not entirely genetic and it can be trained. I see why it‘s not as much of a focus on this in Team Tutberidze, thed put more importance on having clean run-throughs in practice. The day has only so many hours. For me it‘s an issue and it‘s not aesthetically pleasing to see a skater hunch over. I wish certain skaters would take time to correct this but that doesn‘t mean that I hate them or troll them. Not at all. This is not a fanfest, we can utter criticism. As long as it‘s with respect which is often lacking in here. But most comments I’ve read on posture in the last few hours and days were actually detailed, reasonable and constructive.

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good” Sam-Skwantch's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
    Also: Is this a new video? I have never seen it before.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=i1BAGf3FxUk

3A dancing.
    All of their traits are so distinct. I love watching the same people learn the same choreo and seeing the nuances that develop based upon those traits. I also miss Tarakanova being a part of these dance classes. Everyone had to be on guard

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam-Skwantch View Post
    All of their traits are so distinct. I love watching the same people learn the same choreo and seeing the nuances that develop based upon this traits. I miss Tarakanova being a part of these dance classes. Everyone had to be on guard
    I agree. I love this video because it finally shows the complete 3A, before I have only found some from Sasha and Anna and Alena alone. I really look forward to their senior debut, the new programs they‘ll get and how they‘ll battle for the top of the podium like they do now.

I wish we could see videos of Nastya dancing too. Is there actually one of her with the other three from her time at Sambo?

Page 748 of 974 FirstFirst ... 248 648 698 738 739 740 741 742 743 744 745 746 747 748 749 750 751 752 753 754 755 756 757 758 798 848 ... LastLast