2018-19 Russian Ladies' figure skating | Page 754 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Russian Ladies' figure skating

esteticlove

Final Flight
Yeah, the most disappointing thing about Russian Nationals this season was giving Nasta <59 points in PCS although she brought one of the best skates that day. People may argue with me, but for me Tarakanova is as good as Kostornaia and the only thing that keeps her "away" from Sasha and Anna is the lack of a quad jump. However, pointswise, especially in Russia, judges try to make us believe that she's a low key skater.....

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Yeah, the most disappointing thing about Russian Nationals this season was giving Nasta <59 points in PCS although she brought one of the best skates that day. People may argue with me, but for me Tarakanova is as good as Kostornaia and the only thing that keeps her "away" from Sasha and Anna is the lack of a quad jump. However, pointswise, especially in Russia, judges try to make us believe that she's a low key skater.....

She needs to build a reputation yet, and she had a bad SP and that has been a running theme of this season: coaches should have gone back to the frontloaded combo cause at least it was consistent.

But like said in previous posts, i think RusFed should give her a chance, like some senior B competition post nationals, or even junior worlds cause she looks ready for seniors.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
To be honest, I remember a lot of posts during the pre- and post- Olympic era full of complaints that if it weren’t for the Russian federation propping up Masha, we could have had more Eteri students for the OWG and WC teams, that Masha has hideous Tanos, etc. Nothing about her skating skills. And, yes, she is URing quite a bit this season, which is almost certainly related to the fact that she’s experienced a change in height, but to say she’s done forever is crazy — a description that matches both Alina and Masha. But Masha doesn’t get the same benefit of the doubt or defense, which was what I meant by my comment that she doesn’t seem to be especially well-loved by most posters. (Which is fine. I have strange taste. Just acknowledging the reality.)

I dislike how URs are handled in the current scoring system, but that’s a different topic. Regardless, I hope Masha either leaves competitive skating proud of her achievements or is able to fix her rotation issues. She does have solid jump technique in most respects — and a true blue, clear-outside-edge Lutz — but I don’t know what can or will be done to deal with the UR issue. Actually, I’m strapped for examples of skaters who fixed chronic URs, particularly after a change in height. (I’m not talking about a higher chance of URing a particularly problematic jump or a jump late in the programme, but a clear issue with gaining the height or speed to complete rotation in air.) In fact, I’m only coming up with examples to the country — Mao fought the battle for in-air rotation to the end of her competitive career, for example.

Maybe. Again, drawing a blank on examples of chronic URs after a significant change in height being “fixed,” or at least meaningfully reduced. And it doesn’t seem like the Russian federation is interested in Masha — it seems like they’ve moved the few chips they had on her to the 3A. Which is fair. That’s life. And looking at the probabilities... it’s the smart choice. All that aside, I really hope Masha keeps skating, competitively or otherwise.

Well, first season in seniors Masha would have had her chances anyway cause she was coming as Junior World silver medalist, but yes those people were right: Masha moved to CSKA basically to get more push from the Federation and she got it.

Personally i was looking at the skater she used to be with Panova, cause Buyanova never worked with her technique besides adding the ugly tano (she didn't have that before!), so the jumps got more underrotated every season.

So before retiring both Polina and Masha should try with a master of the jumps, someone like Mishin, if i was Polina i would consider also going back to Eteri if that is still possible.

esteticlove

Final Flight
She needs to build a reputation yet, and she had a bad SP and that has been a running theme of this season: coaches should have gone back to the frontloaded combo cause at least it was consistent.

But like said in previous posts, i think RusFed should give her a chance, like some senior B competition post nationals, or even junior worlds cause she looks ready for seniors.

I know that she has troubles with her SP. That's why I was only referring to her free skate. I am not saying that she was supposed to medal at RusNats but she deserved a far bigger score for her free program. She's been pretty consistent there, taking into consideration that she is also one of those who changed coaches going into the new season. Furthermore, she's the only one from that group of skaters who actually showed extreme improvements in a very short time. Just compare her jumps from last season and now. And her skating skills? It's not just the speed, she also does a lot of transitions as she used to do last year, it's not as if she's kind of not doing anything during her StepSeq. And her performance - I mean, she and Plushy took up the challenge to perform a style that she was unfamiliar to and maybe too young for it, but as this season goes, it's pretty obvious that she is getting better and better.

I just don't get it. Judged always give top skaters a bonus in order to distinguish them. Why do they have to lower the score of good skaters in order to make that difference "bigger", even though it's not actually that big when comparing the aktual skating...

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
And her skating skills? It's not just the speed, she also does a lot of transitions as she used to do last year, it's not as if she's kind of not doing anything during her StepSeq.

One of my favorite transitions this season.

https://youtu.be/j8VDCwOtdKU?t=41s

Nice choreography into the loop jump but very well executed steps and control of speed out of it and right into a 2a-1eu-3s. I like what mathman said about the jumps seeming to have an inevitable feel in this program. I agree! I think it’s the way that they are timed up so that the music swells and flows with the transitions instead of the take off or landings. In a way the music sort of breathes with the skater (and the crowd) after the jumps in a really effective way. I wonder if she naturally interpreted it this way or if the coaches encouraged it?

esteticlove

Final Flight
I think it’s the way that they are timed up so that the music swells and flows with the transitions instead of the take off or landings.

Yes, this is a very subtle and clever interpretation of the music, which distinguishes her from the other skaters. I think it was definitely a choice of the choreograpger/coach but what makes this work, are her smooth running edges out of the jumps.:love:

Metis

Shepherdess of the Teal Deer
Record Breaker
I think Tarakanova is fabulous and overflowing with talent. Her skating skills are sublime. She does need to work on refining and holding her positions, however — her layback Ina Bauer and her spirals aren’t fully extended, the positions are a bit unfinished, etc. But that’s the kind of fine detail work that takes time. Her sit positions are to die for. And the gloves deserve all the PCS.

Do we have any idea whether or not she’ll move to seniors or is it all just speculation about what the Russian fed will do?

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Late to the party on this, but Eteri picked her favourite program of the year

https://www.instagram.com/p/BsiyTxjAA6A/

There is a bit of PR pushing obviously, but looking at Kamila's performance, she really did well hitting every single note of the music, incredible speed and flow on everything, the height on the jumps and the flexibility on the spins.

I feel like every season the new girls coming from Eteri learn from the older ones (or maybe the coaches learn from students and then apply to the new generations earlier), i wonder at what point they will start quads or 3A in her programs, if they ever need to.

PS: does anyone recognize the painting? I feel like i've seen it before, it looks modern (like 20th century) but it could be some more obscure Russian painting i don't know.

rachno2

Record Breaker
Late to the party on this, but Eteri picked her favourite program of the year

https://www.instagram.com/p/BsiyTxjAA6A/

There is a bit of PR pushing obviously, but looking at Kamila's performance, she really did well hitting every single note of the music, incredible speed and flow on everything, the height on the jumps and the flexibility on the spins.

I LOVE Kamila’s extension, especially on her jump landings. Her spins live up to the hype, too (still remember them from the CoR gala). I don’t like the program itself—why are there so many movements over this slow music? I feel like more gradual, measured transitions and held positions would work better with the acrobat theme and show off her flexibility. I guess Eteri and I just have different tastes :p

I feel like every season the new girls coming from Eteri learn from the older ones (or maybe the coaches learn from students and then apply to the new generations earlier), i wonder at what point they will start quads or 3A in her programs, if they ever need to.

They do all look a little more “complete” than the ones who came before them. Jumps kinda look the same. Is Kamila training a 3A? Her double axel looks high, as do all her jumps.

Thanks. Didn't she leave Emeril?

She’s with Plushenko’s school

Scott512

Record Breaker
Season Bests Total Scores 2018/2019 Top 20 -
10 RUS
5 JPN
3 USA
1 KAZ
1 BEL

I LOVE Kamila’s extension, especially on her jump landings. Her spins live up to the hype, too (still remember them from the CoR gala). I don’t like the program itself (why so many movements over this slow music? I feel like more gradual, measured transitions and held positions would work better with the acrobat theme and show off her flexibility). I guess Eteri and I just have different tastes :)

They do all look a little more “complete” than the ones who came before them. Jumps kinda look the same. Is Kamila training a 3A? Her double axel looks high, as do all her jumps.

She’s with Plushenko’s school
Interesting.

MiraiFan

Final Flight
I so love her this year (thought she was way too spastic and jerky last year). Plush/Ivanova have worked wonders for her.

Vandevska

U don't have to build the end of the world out it.
Medalist
Don't mind me, just rewatching the Olympics FS and being like: :rock::hap85::yes2: on that 3Lz-3Lo from Alina and then being like: :sad14::sad21: after Evgenia's skate. It was still fresh for me it seems lol.
I didn't follow these two from the start, and since I am following the 3A from the beginning (and probably the other upcoming Eteri juniors too in the future) it's just beautiful. With these 3 it seems like there's no loser and I'm always happy ahahah

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Another opinion from today on this matter by Viktor Kudryavtsev, who thinks Medvyedeva's chances of making the Worlds team are dubious: https://www.sportsdaily.ru/news/zas...past-na-chempionat-mira-po-figurnomu-kataniyu

He thinks that most likely the top two Russian finishers at the European Championships (he reckons Zagitova and Konstantinova) will be send to Worlds as well. Which leaves the third spot for the one that is the most ready by that time, i.e. Tuktamysheva, Medvyedeva or possibly Samodurova, who he thinks is the weakest of these three.