2018-19 Russian Ladies' figure skating | Page 755 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Russian Ladies' figure skating

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
Fresh Leonova's interview. Once she replaced Nikol Gosviani who was in the Europeans team but did not go to the worlds. Now the media asks what she thinks about Zhenya's or Liza's replacing someone in the worlds team. She votes for Liza

https://www.sportsdaily.ru/articles...mira-eto-ee-dobet-no-ya-vybirayu-tuktamyshevu

Thanks for the link!

Edit:

Now there is talk that next season Medvedev can change the coach. Would you be surprised to learn that Zhenya passed on to Alexei Mishin?
- Maybe yes. I am generally surprised by what you say. To be honest, the first time I hear it. Two unsuccessful starts - and immediately change the coach? It's too early to talk about it. If the whole season is a failure, then yes.

I didn’t realise this was the rumour going around. I see it as being unlikely, like Leonova says it’s to soon to switch now. Plus would Mishin want to take on one of his students biggest rivals? He’s had bad experiences with that sort of thing in the past (not that I think Tuktamysheva and Medvedeva would fight like Plushenko and Yagudin did.)

esteticlove

Final Flight
I didn't know there were such rumours neither but I could guess that they come from the concern that Zhenya has been training for almost a month at the facilities of CSKA.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
I didn't know there were such rumours neither but I could guess that they come from the concern that Zhenya has been training for almost a month at the facilities of CSKA.

I think nobody in Russia would have minded if Medvyedeva switched to another established Russian coach after leaving Tutberidze.
The fact that she went abroad and switched to Orser, a foreigner, could be considered equal to high treason by the most rabid, patriotic Russian fans.
Mr. Orser and his program in Toronto are a direct medal threat to Russia, and many old fashioned single/small minded Russians will not forgive Medvyedeva for making that choice.

Of course, when those types would have thought this over a bit more thoroughly, they would understand that Medvyedeva wanted to reset herself, re-invent herself and would support her in this decision to escape the Russian system. Because no matter the small differences there might be between the Moscow rinks and even Sankt Peterburg at Mishin's, at the core nothing would be really that much different from Medvyedeva's previous rink.

malya

On the Ice
Fresh Leonova's interview. Once she replaced Nikol Gosviani who was in the Europeans team but did not go to the worlds. Now the media asks what she thinks about Zhenya's or Liza's replacing someone in the worlds team. She votes for Liza

https://www.sportsdaily.ru/articles...mira-eto-ee-dobet-no-ya-vybirayu-tuktamyshevu

I'm facepalming so hard at the last question. The Interviewer tried really hard to sell the idea that Alina should be resting after Europeans and should be the one to not get a spot for worlds. Clearly this is an amazing and totally fair idea. Rika and Bradie should also rest after they go to CC.

If Alina wins Europeans I hope she will officially be excluded from the "skate off" and these talks from the press will stop...

Zhenya changing her coach again also sounds like a dumb and clickbaity rumour. I'm 99.9% sure she will stay with Orser for at least another season.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
I think nobody in Russia would have minded if Medvyedeva switched to another established Russian coach after leaving Tutberidze.
The fact that she went abroad and switched to Orser, a foreigner, could be considered equal to high treason by the most rabid, patriotic Russian fans.
Mr. Orser and his program in Toronto are a direct medal threat to Russia, and many old fashioned single/small minded Russians will not forgive Medvyedeva for making that choice.

Of course, when those types would have thought this over a bit more thoroughly, they would understand that Medvyedeva wanted to reset herself, re-invent herself and would support her in this decision to escape the Russian system. Because no matter the small differences there might be between the Moscow rinks and even Sankt Peterburg at Mishin's, at the core nothing would be really that much different from Medvyedeva's previous rink.

Are you serious? Who is a threat to Russia from Borser's group, Medvedeva? She keeps insisting that she skates and will skate for Russia. Who else?

I am, may be, an old fashioned single/small minded Russian but I do ask questions about her choice now that I see that she loses to skaters she never lost before and gets places she never got before in her entire career. And I am not convinced that it will be different in the future. And I cannot say what she thinks but I would imagine that resetting oneself, reinventing oneself, and escaping the Russian system was not her goal if she knew that the price would be losing her top skater status and missing the spot in the Russian team.

rachno2

Record Breaker
I hate all the stress they are piling on everybody—Alina, Evgenia, Liza, Sofia, Stanislava, all of them. Regardless of who you want on the World team, speculating about skate-offs and asking active skaters to pick sides is really messed up. They could at least have the decency to wait until after Europeans. Gotta get those article clicks, I guess :(

Scott512

Record Breaker
Are you serious? Who is a threat to Russia from Borser's group, Medvedeva? She keeps insisting that she skates and will skate for Russia. Who else?

I am, may be, an old fashioned single/small minded Russian but I do ask questions about her choice now that I see that she loses to skaters she never lost before and gets places she never got before in her entire career. And I am not convinced that it will be different in the future. And I cannot say what she thinks but I would imagine that resetting oneself, reinventing oneself, and escaping the Russian system was not her goal if she knew that the price would be losing her top skater status and missing the spot in the Russian team.

I hate all the stress they are piling on everybody—Alina, Evgenia, Liza, Sofia, Stanislava, all of them. Regardless of who you want on the World team, speculating about skate-offs and asking active skaters to pick sides is really messed up. They could at least have the decency to wait until after Europeans. Gotta get those article clicks, I guess :(

Agreed.

Scott512

Record Breaker

Fair points Sam. The move from EG to BO was drastic. I think and hope Zhenya will be better next seadon. But she has lost her mojo this season. Her record with Eteri was awesome. Almost perfect. But Zhenya wanted change.

jhcorb01

Rinkside
Zhenya mentioned in an interview literally two days ago she's so thankful for her new coaching team, and that Brian is helping her skate as long as possible. She mentioned that she'll be returning to Toronto right before Europeans as well, and that she'll possibly keep her new Tosca SP for next season as well. I'm 99.999999 percent sure she's not switching coaches anytime soon.

narcissa

Record Breaker
Fair points Sam. The move from EG to BO was drastic. I think and hope Zhenya will be better next seadon. But she has lost her mojo this season. Her record with Eteri was awesome. Almost perfect. But Zhenya wanted change.

I thought Zhenya made it clear that she was thankful for her achievements under Eteri but that training regime that worked so well for her in her early teens would no longer work at 19. Her decision to leave makes perfect sense to me in that context.

Vandevska

U don't have to build the end of the world out it.
Medalist
Just saw this on Youtube with Alina and Evgenia in one Japanese commercial (for Sony?). It looks recent and I wonder when it was shot and whether they actually worked together (vs. video edited togehter) for this. It looks very beautiful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTl-uzNRUtA

It was most likely edited. I vaguely remember the girls filming in different times. It looks beautiful but I don't understand the concept :laugh:

Watch

Final Flight
It was most likely edited. I vaguely remember the girls filming in different times. It looks beautiful but I don't understand the concept :laugh:

They're just representing characters from the Madoka Magica anime. It doesn't really make sense when you haven't watched it, I guess :laugh: but they're doing it well and it looks beautiful regardless. The most important things to know is that the magical girl genre is always based around normal school girls turning into these super hero type fighters in pretty dresses to combat some evil force with their super powers. Sailor Moon is THE magical girl anime. Madoka is a bit of a deconstruction of that, taking a darker turn on the typical magical girl premise. Madoka, who is played by Alina here, is the kind and a bit naive protagonist with surprisingly strong powers and Homura, played by Evgenia, is her stoic friend/rival/protector (the relationship is very complicated), who travels through time again and again, trying to save Madoka from death and always failing, growing more and more desparate each time. I think the ad manages to capture the concept surprisingly well for how short it is.

Scott512

Record Breaker

I thought Zhenya made it clear that she was thankful for her achievements under Eteri but that training regime that worked so well for her in her early teens would no longer work at 19. Her decision to leave makes perfect sense to me in that context.

16 17 and 18 are not early teens. Zhenya was great at the olympics. What's done is done. Zhenya has to live with her bold decision. She seems happy and I hope she has a big comeback season next year.

Scott512

Record Breaker
When Zhenya left Eteri in May I thought she was still staying at sambo 70 as her Russian training base just not with Eteri and her staff. Now she's at rival CSKA to the surprise of many. Does anyone know what happened?

Vandevska

U don't have to build the end of the world out it.
Medalist
When Zhenya left Eteri in May I thought she was still staying at sambo 70 as her Russian training base just not with Eteri and her staff. Now she's at rival CSKA to the surprise of many. Does anyone know what happened?

I don't think she's welcomed at sambo 70 anymore no matter what the director might say.

Scott512

Record Breaker

I don't think she's welcomed at sambo 70 anymore no matter what the director might say.
If that's true that's unfortunate.

Sugar Coated

Final Flight
They're just representing characters from the Madoka Magica anime. It doesn't really make sense when you haven't watched it, I guess :laugh: but they're doing it well and it looks beautiful regardless. The most important things to know is that the magical girl genre is always based around normal school girls turning into these super hero type fighters in pretty dresses to combat some evil force with their super powers. Sailor Moon is THE magical girl anime. Madoka is a bit of a deconstruction of that, taking a darker turn on the typical magical girl premise. Madoka, who is played by Alina here, is the kind and a bit naive protagonist with surprisingly strong powers and Homura, played by Evgenia, is her stoic friend/rival/protector (the relationship is very complicated), who travels through time again and again, trying to save Madoka from death and always failing, growing more and more desparate each time. I think the ad manages to capture the concept surprisingly well for how short it is.

Wow. Alina as kind, naive with suprisingly strong powers. And she has a complicated relationship with Zhenya based on both friendship and rivalry. Seems to fit pretty well.

malya

On the Ice

TAT has basically been Zhenya's 2nd trainer and lead cheerleader. I doubt something specific happened... can you honestly imagine TAT and Vaytsekhovskaya paying a friendly visit to SAMBO? Even if they keep far away from Eteri that is just not going to happen :)