2018-19 Japanese Ladies' figure skating | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Japanese Ladies' figure skating

sakurano

Final Flight
Yuhana will remain in the junior next season. She said so in her twitter after Jr. Worlds.

I thought she was going to the Seniors, she had good program this year and Akiko Suzuki as a choreographer so I do not worry about her it will make her more experience good luck to her and thank you for the info

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Satoko wants to do 3A too, but can she do it perfectly?
Given what her 2A looks like, no.

There is one thing that I have been wondering for some time, Japan to many talented girls but is there one that has no technical problem on ALL the jumps? because until the end they have URs, either they have lips with Flip or they have problems of flutz.

Chronic URs: Satoko, Yuna S., Yura, Marin (only this season though)
Flutz: Kaori
Flip (!): Wakaba
So i would say that Mai and Wakaba are the ones who can't get dinged too much.

Top Juniors (Rika, Mako, Nana, Yuhana) have better technique. No edge issues or chronic URs.

mikeko666

Final Flight
I thought she was going to the Seniors, she had good program this year and Akiko Suzuki as a choreographer so I do not worry about her it will make her more experience good luck to her and thank you for the info

Her current WS is 114 and there is no chance for her to get a GPS spot if she moves to senior next season. It is wiser for her to stay in junior because there is a much better chance to get JGPS spots. It's wise for her to remain junior and earn more points while she can. I also think her skating needs to be polished before moving to senior.

sakurano

Final Flight
Her current WS is 114 and there is no chance for her to get a GPS spot if she moves to senior next season. It is wiser for her to stay in junior because there is a much better chance to get JGPS spots. It's wise for her to remain junior and earn more points while she can. I also think her skating needs to be polished before moving to senior.

Yes, from this point of view, she is actually like Kaori Sakamoto, who stays until the age of 17, and Rin Nitaya, who stays until she is 19 years old.

sakurano

Final Flight
Given what her 2A looks like, no.

Chronic URs: Satoko, Yuna S., Yura, Marin (only this season though)
Flutz: Kaori
Flip (!): Wakaba
So i would say that Mai and Wakaba are the ones who can't get dinged too much.

Top Juniors (Rika, Mako, Nana, Yuhana) have better technique. No edge issues or chronic URs.
To say that does not necessarily mean that she will do it, but who knows, she proved to us that she was strong and she is in the same training center Rika K.
It reminds me of typing mistakes when the layout is announced in a competition lol
his 2A had become a 3A.

Yume thank you so there are still some girls who have good bases in tecnique sometimes it is a pity to see skaters who have a lot of potential but are retained because of technical problem on jumps.

Besides, it seemed to me that once you had the question about the loss of jumps during puberty and the Urs, can we repair them?

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
What does her 2A look like? It's one of her better jumps and the 2A-3T is the best jumping pass she does in her programs.

Her 2A in combo is good. Solo 2A not so good, i don't know why.
And seriously, you really think that she can get enough height to land a 3A? Rotation speed only can't do that.

Shayuki

Record Breaker
What does her 2A look like? It's one of her better jumps and the 2A-3T is the best jumping pass she does in her programs.
It being one of Satoko's best jumps isn't saying much... She needs far more air time than she's ever had on any of her jumps to rotate a 3A. And she doesn't rotate fast enough.

ioanna

Record Breaker
Her 2A in combo is good. Solo 2A not so good, i don't know why.
I disagree. The 2A is the same 2A she does solo and in combination and it's been very reliable for her. Reliable enough that she can put a 2A or a 2A-3T combo in the last few seconds of a long program.

And seriously, you really think that she can get enough height to land a 3A? Rotation speed only can't do that.
I don't think it's impossible. Her edge jumps have shown the most progress in the last 4-5 years. She says she's been attempting 3A in practice for two years so she's not starting now. Maybe she does get enough height and distance to attempt it, otherwise she wouldn't have bothered. I don't think she'll land it or even attempt it next season, but good for her for wanting to challenge herself.

Danibellerika

Medalist
I can't say I have the most confidence in Satoko hitting a 3A (maybe if she was able to jump in her natural direction), but I'm curious what her training it looks like. I do think of Mirai who can do a 3A (even over rotating it), but is a chronic under rotator for other jumps. Granted she gets more height than Satoko on those jumps but still.

Main questions for next season:
Will satoko still dominate in Japan and win a 5th title? Her chances are as good as anyone else's to get their 1st. But after winning it 4 times she clearly knows how to win it.
Who will fight for the 3 spots? Anybody with a GP assignment. God speed to them all.
Who will move up to seniors, and slay? Rika
Who can fight for a medal against Eteristan in juniors? No one. It's a fight for bronze, folks.
Can anyone challenge Eteristan in seniors? Wakaba possibly. That WSM is going to do her a lot of good.
How many girls will attempt 3A and land it successfully? 2. I think Wakaba will get it down. And Rika is obvious.
Will Rika Kihira attempt a quad? Doubt it.
Can JSF have a better politicking? Maybe only this season with worlds being local? It won't be greater than Russia or Canada though.

saphire

On the Ice
I remember CBC commentators saying that Wakaba was landing 3A in practice but not consistent enough, I think during COC broadcast

ioanna

Record Breaker
It being one of Satoko's best jumps isn't saying much... She needs far more air time than she's ever had on any of her jumps to rotate a 3A. And she doesn't rotate fast enough.
The way I see it, the probability of her landing a 3A is higher than getting a consistently rotated 3Lz-3T. Her toe jumps as everyone knows are hopeless. But if she sees the axel as one jump that could make her a real gold medal contender, she can go ahead. Time will tell.

Shayuki

Record Breaker
The way I see it, the probability of her landing a 3A is higher than getting a consistently rotated 3Lz-3T. Her toe jumps as everyone knows are hopeless. But if she sees the axel as one jump that could make her a real gold medal contender, she can go ahead. Time will tell.
Well, she's actually rotated 3Lz-3T at least once that I've seen... that already is far more than I would hope for a potential 3A.

The only competent skater who's of comparable age(aka not some 7yo girl with tiny jumps, obviously) who I've seen with a comparably small 2A is Alisa Fedichkina. Interestingly enough, Fedichkina a few years ago said that she was training 3A and of course, a lot of skepticism was warranted there(and nothing ever came out of it). Satoko can just barely rotate even her 2A, and that's with far more pre-rotation than recommended(really hurts when going for 3A). She also jumps it forward, not up. She to me is just about the least likely skater to add a 3A.

Using Mirai as a comparison, even before 3A she actually had a very good 2A with good height - The situation is not at all comparable. Right, another thing. For many skaters you could assume they have plenty of rotation speed in reserve because they don't need to rotate as fast as possible. But Satoko? She certainly needs to rotate as fast as she can, otherwise she wouldn't be rotating any of her jumps(And even now, she barely can do that). And as we know her rotation speed is nothing special, there's not a whole lot of leeway there either.

She'd require at least as high an axel as Kostornaia on her 3A, which is the highest one I've seen in the recent years and higher than Tuktamysheva's.

When it comes to Wakaba Higuchi, I'm much more hopeful for several reasons(Potential rotation speed reserve, far greater jump power, better technique). I'm not sure if she'll have it next season already but that at least is something reasonable to hope for.

I'm just saying that I don't think it's impossible for Satoko to land one.
Mhm... And I think it's impossible for Satoko to land one. Above's my reasoning.

ioanna

Record Breaker
Obviously Wakaba Higuchi is the most likely to have a 3A in her programs. I'm not talking about who's most or least likely to land it or who can put the 3A in their programs in the future. I'm just saying that I don't think it's impossible for Satoko to land one. I understand the skepticism and people laughing at the idea but I stand by my opinion. :)

ioanna

Record Breaker
Mhm... And I think it's impossible for Satoko to land one. Above's my reasoning.

I've already stated my reasoning about how she's historically been more capable of improving her edge jumps compared to her toe jumps and that the axel and axel-toe jump combo has been the most reliable and effortless jumping pass for her but I also understand your reasoning and opinion. Agree to disagree. :)

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
So the answer is no,
if I remember well at the end of her career despite having recovered some jumps, she always had urs calls.

Exactly. For those who already have a weak technique before puberty i think. Girls who have a pretty solid technique before puberty has more chances to keep their jumps. Unless that puberty being really savage.