2018-19 Japanese Ladies' figure skating | Page 101 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Japanese Ladies' figure skating

jenm

The Last One Degree
Medalist
Congrats Team Japan!
All mah ladies are in GPF!!!
Congrats on Mai for the silver medal at IdF. Come back stronger at JapNats :)

TunaKeem

Rinkside
Thank you for sharing! Poor Mai. Her arthritis flared up during off season which is why she didn’t have enough time on the ice to get a new FS (according to various reports)! So poorly timed... just like when she skated in JGPF

I'm such a huge fan of Mai and there are so many times where I'm watching her, specifically last season when her short program wasn't working out, and I would get so frustrated with her. I feel terrible about that now. It is amazing to see how well she is doing and how relaxed her elements and jumps are despite her disease. Newfound respect for her!

I hope she continues but doesn't exacerbate any pain she feels!

skatenewbie

Medalist

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
it could be 4 :( im so sad for Mai if she didnt pop that sal!!

Again, I don't think Kihira skated in a vacuum. She knew Mihara's score, and she knew what she needed to do to pass her. Add five points, and she probably would have taken more risks to score more. Whether she would have succeeded is another matter, but the point is that her skating would have been different if Mihara's score warranted that.

cohkaix

FS data keeper
Medalist

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
I would like to thank Mie Hamada’s and Sonoko Nakano’s team, and obviously the girls they coach, for being so prepared and giving us wonderful performances. They were the best part of the grand prix for me and I’m pretty sure it would be boring without them. Mako was incredible as well.

leoleo

Medalist
I will never not be completely mind blown by Tomoe's jumps technique! Jesus christ, how many skaters wish they had her lutz :love: i am also very proud of that comeback, knowing her, it could have gone a lot worse, and she only messed up the 3lo! I believe with the right training, she can be a real threat for the future, obviously her jumps would get immense GOE in senior if she stays healthy. I am also very happy for Yuhana, time to move up to senior already damn it! Good job Nana for having the cleanest FS protocol. Yet another japanese lady with technique to die for. I am so excited to see how they grow in their career. I love japanese ladies slow and steady growth. They usually grow up to become very beautiful skaters.

Speaking of GPF. I wish Hamada and Rika would arrive in Canada earlier, like 5days before the actual competition since Rika said she really struggled with jetlag in IDF. She needs to arrive there early and make sure she's in the best condition possible. The gold at GPF is not out of her reach but she has to give her best in both SP and FS if she wants to grab that top of the podium position. Also how happy i am that Kaori gets her well deserved place in the GPF, i'm excited to have her back on the ice! :hap10:

ioanna

Record Breaker
I wonder if Hamada's girls are still working with Ghislain Briand. Maybe they can go to Canada earlier and brush up on their practice. Last time Hamada had to travel with Rika and Satoko was for GPF 2016 in France, and they arrived just a few days before the competition. Kaori was also there competing in juniors, and now all three of them will compete in seniors. :)

leoleo

Medalist
I wonder if Hamada's girls are still working with Ghislain Briand. Maybe they can go to Canada earlier and brush up on their practice. Last time Hamada had to travel with Rika and Satoko was for GPF 2016 in France, and they arrived just a few days before the competition. Kaori was also there competing in juniors, and now all three of them will compete in seniors. :)

I think they still are. They showed on jpn tv, a footage of Rika working with Ghislain on her quads not even a month ago i think. Considering Hamada said they intend to add 4s and/or 4T to her layout next year, it's safe to assume she's going to keep working with him. I believe Satoko too is going to keep working with him because she really wants to improve the quality of her jumps.
I don't know how much working with him for a few days before competition would affect their performance at the GPF tho. But it's great knowing they're working with him, he's a great jump coach.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Mie Hamada and Sonoko Nakano are really the top coaches now in Japan. They will be at worlds. I wonder if some skaters will switch to Nakano now that she gets some recognition, as Riko Takino recently switched to Hamada.

ioanna

Record Breaker
I think they still are. They showed on jpn tv, a footage of Rika working with Ghislain on her quads not even a month ago i think. Considering Hamada said they intend to add 4s and/or 4T to her layout next year, it's safe to assume she's going to keep working with him. I believe Satoko too is going to keep working with him because she really wants to improve the quality of her jumps.
I don't know how much working with him for a few days before competition would affect their performance at the GPF tho. But it's great knowing they're working with him, he's a great jump coach.

I saw that footage but I don't know how old it was. It could have been from the off-season. In any case, I think Team Hamada will arrive in Canada at the same time as everyone else. Hopefully Rika can adjust to the time differences and practice without any problems.

leoleo

Medalist
Mie Hamada and Sonoko Nakano are really the top coaches now in Japan. They will be at worlds. I wonder if some skaters will switch to Nakano now that she gets some recognition, as Riko Takino recently switched to Hamada.

i almost forgot Riko had moved to Hamada. Curious to see how she improves with her. She has potential :)

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
i almost forgot Riko had moved to Hamada. Curious to see how she improves with her. She has potential :)

For the moment, not so much improvements given her Junior nats performances.
But next season it will be maybe different. Moa and her have huge artistic potential. Would be good to have solid jumps too.

leoleo

Medalist
For the moment, not so much improvements given her Junior nats performances.
But next season it will be maybe different. Moa and her have huge artistic potential. Would be good to have solid jumps too.

yeah Moa's protocol at Junior Nats this weekend... jesus christ, she got Ur calls on almost every jump :(:noshake: it's a shame cause i could watch her skate for hours, she is just so beautiful on the ice. Someone on twitter was saying she would make a wonderful ice dancer. But i hope she can still fix her jumps, she is only 14. I don't know if it's possible but i hope so cause i'd hate to see her never shine. She is one special girl imo.
I love your avatar :luv17:

lanceupper1114

On the Ice
Again, I don't think Kihira skated in a vacuum. She knew Mihara's score, and she knew what she needed to do to pass her. Add five points, and she probably would have taken more risks to score more. Whether she would have succeeded is another matter, but the point is that her skating would have been different if Mihara's score warranted that.

I don’t think she skated with Mai’s score in mind. She just skated her normal contingency plan, which as always been to do 2A-3T and 3Lz-3T if she misses the first combo; she practices this contingency.

It’s like for Satoko it used to be to add 2A-3T at the end of program if she misses the first combo. Don’t know what it is now tho for her.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
If only JSF had a real program for dance and pairs.....
She can fix those URs. She's 14yo and already grew a lot since last season.

leoleo

Medalist
I don’t think she skated with Mai’s score in mind. She just skated her normal contingency plan, which as always been to do 2A-3T and 3Lz-3T if she misses the first combo; she practices this contingency.

It’s like for Satoko it used to be to add 2A-3T at the end of program if she misses the first combo. Don’t know what it is now tho for her.

It's great that she has a backup plan and can execute it when needed. I was shocked to hear Kaori say after Helsinki that she has to learn how to recover in case there's a mistake with the combo, i thought all skaters would have learned how to do that already. It is crucial. Maybe her coaching team did not bother because Kaori when she is ON, she really does not make mistakes but still.