2018-19 Japanese Ladies' figure skating | Page 105 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Japanese Ladies' figure skating

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
Literally the only one with notable results at worlds and gpf except for the very very last event of that entire quadrennial where she stood beside Higuchi on the worlds PODIUM.

She didn't stand beside Higuchi. They were sandwiching Kaetlyn Osmond, who actually won the event, something no Japanese has done at worlds or gpf in the alleged "Miyahara Era".

The only major international competition she won was Four Continents...which was also won by Mai Mihara and Kaori Sakamoto.

So yes, she was the top of the mediocre crop of Japanese ladies over the last four years, but she certainly didn't "carry" the Japanese ladies like Mao Asada did. She isn't even the Fumie Suguri of her time, as she at least won a gpf in her day.

Has she really?

2015: Finished second at World, but well behind the winner. The Original Rika and Kanako both did enough to keep Japan's three spots regardless.
2016: Helped keep the three spots, but finished back in fifth
2017: Didn't go to Worlds, Japan lost a spot for Olympics and the next Worlds.
2018: Finished last amongst Japanese competitors, but did help get Japan's third spot back.

She was an important member of the national team, but she can hardly be labelled as the woman that "carried" Japanese ladies.

She didn't go to Worlds 2017 because of a hip fracture. You're trying very hard to put down her achievements here. Against the Russians and the Americans at home ice, she has achieved the best placement possible for Japan.

Without a 3A there is almost zero chance of a lady of any other nationality winning against the Russians. It's beyond their ability and everyone knows why.

lanceupper1114

On the Ice
She didn't stand beside Higuchi. They were sandwiched between Kaetlyn Osmond, who actually won the event

Seriously dude. Like is this what you are arguing about? Semantics? You know what I meant, and it’s not the exact location of their feet relative to each other...

If you are going to go there, they weren’t sandwiched between Osmond. Osmond was sandwiched between them.

Can’t even do enough eye rolls.

MRani

On the Ice
Satoko is the only Japanese lady that medaled consistently at the major international events over the entire last quad. Whether other Japanese ladies would’ve managed to conserve the 3 spots without her or not, she still kept Japanese ladies relevant as a medal threat for over 4 years. Give her the credit she’s due.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Miyhara has done very well for Japan winning many medals at major competitions and been so rock solid consistent despite smallish jumps you could count on her. Placing last her is an honor considering the quality and she can do better. I maybe am in the minority while I understand it is a sport but I still feel sorry that it seems like athletes are so disposable. Maybe it was the pressure but she got beat by two of her teammates -- Rika looks like she also just pushed Alina into the abyss okay silver. Its like without upping the ante and without the backloading rules Alina is done. But still a medal threat lol. Good for Sofia for not being last. And I have to say good on Liza for holding off Kaori. Now Mishin work on adding another 3A and the pcs. Because the Japanese ladies have the upper hand right now.

lzxnl

Final Flight
Without a 3A there is almost zero chance of a lady of any other nationality winning against the Russians. It's beyond their ability and everyone knows why.
Beyond the Russians' abilities? If that's what you mean, I know what you'd be hinting at, but it's a little ironic that the only other senior that does a 3A just happens to be Russian.

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
Satoko is the only Japanese lady that medaled consistently at the major international events over the entire last quad. Whether other Japanese ladies would’ve managed to conserve the 3 spots without her or not, she still kept Japanese ladies relevant as a medal threat for over 4 years. Give her the credit she’s due.

And that's the credit I give her. Credit for being the top of the ladies overall for those four years. Not credit for being on another level from them.

Koatterce

On the Ice
Country
Canada
Seriously dude. Like is this what you are arguing about? Semantics? You know what I meant, and it’s not the exact location of their feet relative to each other...

If you are going to go there, they weren’t sandwiched between Osmond. Osmond was sandwiched between them.

Can’t even do enough eye rolls.

the funniest thing about this, is that if Satoko and Wakaba were somehow sandwiched between Kaetlyn (in a world where it's possible to be sandwiched between one person), then they'd be beside each other

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
the funniest thing about this, is that if Satoko and Wakaba were somehow sandwiched between Kaetlyn (in a world where it's possible to be sandwiched between one person), then they'd be beside each other

Thank you all for the constructive commentary. I have modified the original post to match my intended meaning.

lzxnl

Final Flight
Miyhara has done very well for Japan winning many medals at major competitions and been so rock solid consistent despite smallish jumps you could count on her. Placing last her is an honor considering the quality and she can do better. I maybe am in the minority while I understand it is a sport but I still feel sorry that it seems like athletes are so disposable. Maybe it was the pressure but she got beat by two of her teammates -- Rika looks like she also just pushed Alina into the abyss okay silver. Its like without upping the ante and without the backloading rules Alina is done. But still a medal threat lol. Good for Sofia for not being last. And I have to say good on Liza for holding off Kaori. Now Mishin work on adding another 3A and the pcs. Because the Japanese ladies have the upper hand right now.

Pushing Alina into the abyss? All Rika has really done so far is push Alina into second place. While I'm expecting this trend to continue at Worlds, Alina isn't done yet. Her career isn't over; if not coming first meant the end of one's career, how many skaters would we have left? Although I do agree that she'll need to up her technical side next season.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
I have strong faith that these 3 girls will be Worlds. Excited to see them.

About Satoko's PCS, I wonder if the judges are tired of her and are trying to signal something.

The door is open for two spots. Kaori and Satoko are not totally safe. Since JSF has a potential world champion, no need to select the two consistents girls no matter what. Just one, in case of. Then the last ticket at last is open.

The door is open for two spots. Kaori and Satoko are not totally safe. Since JSF has a potential world champion, no need to select the two consistents girls no matter what. Just one, in case of. Then the last ticket at last is open.

Japan would want to save three spots, and put up a show they can be proud of in front of the home crowd. I definitely think these three have the best case, unless one really blows it at nationals.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Well, they can save their three spots with Rika+Kaori or Rika+Satoko. Someone like Mai, who have the same level of consistency than Kaori, can also give performances to be proud of.

You make a good point, but I still prefer my plan of sending Rika+Kaori+Satoko to worlds and Mai to 4CC. Then Mai will finally have a decent shot at gold [emoji846] Of course the fed will have other strategies in mind and opportunity to go to Worlds for Mai is welcomed as well.

sk8ath

On the Ice
Well, they can save their three spots with Rika+Kaori or Rika+Satoko. Someone like Mai, who have the same level of consistency than Kaori, can also give performances to be proud of.

I think three spots will be probably allocated to Hamada's and Sonoko's team.
(Though I would like to see a fiercer competition...)

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Depending on how she does at Nationals I would wish for Mako Yamashita to get another big international competition, specifically 4CC. I think they probably won't send her to Worlds, but 4CC might be a good idea. Right now I think it's going to be Rika, Satoko and Kaori for Worlds. Perhaps Wakaba, but her form is a question mark. Japanese Nationals is going to be a nailbiter once more but this time thankfully there are 3 spots!

jenm

The Last One Degree
Medalist
It makes me disappointed and angry that some people would say Satoko is in the mediocre crop. She has EARNED two world medals, was so mind blowing consistent (like Medvedeva in her prime), was/is a major contender in many events, fourth at the Olympics, and Japan's national champ for so many years. Arguably, has the BEST skating skills even of the current crop of senior ladies. She's so far from being mediocre. There are so many skaters who dream of having Satoko's accolades. But good attempt on minimising her achievements smh. Next. :frown:

lzxnl

Final Flight
It makes me disappointed and angry that some people would say Satoko is in the mediocre crop. She has EARNED two world medals, was so mind blowing consistent (like Medvedeva in her prime), was/is a major contender in many events, fourth at the Olympics, and Japan's national champ for so many years. Arguably, has the BEST skating skills even of the current crop of senior ladies. She's so far from being mediocre. There are so many skaters who dream of having Satoko's accolades. But good attempt on minimising her achievements smh. Next. :frown:

She's probably about 3rd-5th in most people's power rankings this year, and that ain't bad given the competition. I do wish to see improved jumps though; she has far too many edge and UR calls to win events atm, and it's a real shame as you can see the extra attention placed on choreo in her programs.

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan

World titles: 0
GPF titles: 0
4CC titles:1

If that's the final total, then that's a mediocre career, like Ashley Wagner. Because winning big events is the only way to stand out as something special.