2018-19 Japanese Ladies' figure skating | Page 110 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Japanese Ladies' figure skating

Globetrotter

Medalist
I don’t know that I extrapolate that Marin is lazy - maybe her English isn’t good enough to understand Raf? I don’t think I’ve ever seen Marin say anything to Raf in the Kiss & Cry or at the boards,etc. She gives off the impression she understands almost no English, which in a way could be construed as lazy I suppose, I know I certainly would want to be able to understand my coach. Compared to other skaters I follow with foreign coaches like Yelim with Tom or Eunsoo with Raf and her TSL interview - I feel confident they can at least get the gist of what’s happening as I’ve seen both speak English.

After uprooting yourself thousands of miles, I am pretty sure one will find ways to max things out. Besides, the skating lingo will be familiar. Triple lutz will still be triple lutz. My gut feel is that Marin is still dealing with the cultural change and perhaps some homesickness. She is more an inspirational type skater rather than the perspiration sort like Satoko, so it takes more to get her going.

Erin S

Rinkside
Does anyone have a good way to translate the skate order page? They haven't updated the English site and when I plug the whole list into google translate the results are...creative.

cohkaix

FS data keeper
Medalist
Just a reminder: all the information relevant to All Japan Nationals (drawing, starting order, news, TV reports...etc) is being posted under here in Forum: 2018-19 Japanese National Figure Skating Championships.

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
Here's an interesting article that suggests that non-native speakers of English understand other non-native speakers better than native speakers, which I mostly agree with. Raf, a non-native speaker, works with international skaters, such as Michal and Romain, so he has experience in this area. I believe that to effectively communicate with your coach you need to be at least at the intermediate level. Anything below that is not optimal. Evgenia's English is pretty good right now but she still said she had to adjust to speaking only English when she moved to Canada. Marin is in an ideal situation to learn English, though: she can acquire it through immersion on a daily basis and if she gets additional tutoring and also studies on her own, she'll soon improve. She also has teammates who speak English who can help her.

Interesting article. I had wondered about this myself, particularly regarding the use of more 'basic' lingo (excluding homonyms, no slang, etc). I have always noticed that, unless you are extremely frequent in a second language, you tend to speak more slowly and are more careful in choosing your phrasing. Nice to know there's some truth in my little theory :p

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
And I have heard that when a Japanese person nods, it doesn’t necessarily mean they understand what you say or agree to it. It only means they are listening to you, you hold their attention. Hope Marin and her team can come to terms with these little cultural differences, too.

Yes, I have heard that Yuzuru did that when he first went to Canada, I think it was Brian himself who said that it was a while before he found this out :laugh: so Marin is quite possibly doing the same thing.

And we shouldn't underestimate how hard English is, simply because it is second nature to us... I know some non-native speakers who sound impeccable but get tripped up by the unusually high level on colloquialism, regionalism, language shift and inbuilt metaphor/imagery that we take for granted (at least till an Aussie is talking to an American or Brit or...)

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power 🐻
Record Breaker
I think they will send Tomoe and Yuhana to Junior Worlds. They are currently in second and first place. They both deserve it. Tomeo was so wonderful

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
I think they will send Tomoe and Yuhana to Junior Worlds. They are currently in second and first place. They both deserve it. Tomeo was so wonderful

Yuhana already has her spot. Tomoe, Nana, Yuna and Wakana are fighting for the 2 other spots.

lanceupper1114

On the Ice
Yuhana was my dark horse in the prediction thread to finish in the top 5 since she has less pressure here knowing she can go to Jr Worlds; she has nail her SP, which she did. She's going to skate in the final group in the FS so she just might sneak into the top 5! She's a good long program skater. I also predicted Satoko will win the Championship again; we'll see how that pans out, but she's on her way since she atop the leaderboard again! Wakaba did well, which makes me happy!

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
So happy for Miyu Nakashio. This is her final season, and she was quite emotional about making to Nationals after a shaky skate at the West Japan qualifier. A clean skate, and did just enough to progress to the free. Her heart will go on! :)

On the other hand, very sad to see Yuka Nagai not advance. Such a beautiful skater, but her jumping legs just couldn't keep up with her growth spurt. :(

Rika Kihira in fifth. Right where she wants to be! :laugh: Seriously...she is a very high risk, high reward skater. She is still my pick to win, but bombing in the free is not out of the question. I'm pretty sure they would choose her for Worlds with even a fifth place finish...but eighth or ninth?

Sure hope Mai can nail her Mission program and make things very difficult for the selection committee.

Some skaters sure had fun watching their "jump stats", none more so than Kaori, who had every reason to be in a good mood.

Marin... :palmf: