2018-19 Japanese Ladies' figure skating | Page 116 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Japanese Ladies' figure skating

cohkaix

FS data keeper
Medalist
Team Japan assignments for WC/4CC/JWC/Universiade (ladies)

WC
Ladies: Kaori Sakamoto, Rika Kihira, Satoko Miyahara
(Alt 1: Mai Mihara; Alt 2: Wakaba Higuchi; Alt 3: Mako Yamashita)

4CC
Ladies: Kaori Sakamoto, Rika Kihira, Mai Mihara
(Alt: Wakaba, Yamashita)

JWC
Ladies: Yokoi; Wakabata; Shiraiwa*(Shiraiwa has to get the minimum TES)
(Alt 1: Araki; Alt 2: Naganawa; Alt 3: Aoki)

Universiade
Ladies: Mihara, Takeno
(Alt 1: Hongo; Alt 2: Oba)

Danny T

Medalist
Oh, I wonder why they didn't send Mako to JWorlds instead of Yuna? I'd love to see Yuna once more, of course, her "Pictures at an Exhbition" free was great, but technical panel frequently hammer her jumps (correctly), while they sometimes give Mako the benefit of the doubt. I understand they want to secure spots, given the fact while Yuhana and Tomoe are great, they haven't been the most consistent skaters. But score-wise, I would go for Mako hmm :think:

lzxnl

Final Flight
Ladies' Word Team Selection
Kaori Sakamoto
Rika Kihira
Satoko Miyahara

4CC
Kaori Sakamoto
Rika Kihira
Mai Mihara

My first reaction was
Yay more Rika
My second reaction was
RIP Satoko
Then it was being glad that Mai gets another competition.
I'm pretty happy with these teams.

skatenewbie

Medalist
Oh, I wonder why they didn't send Mako to JWorlds instead of Yuna? I'd love to see Yuna once more, of course, her "Pictures at an Exhbition" free was great, but technical panel frequently hammer her jumps (correctly), while they sometimes give Mako the benefit of the doubt. I understand they want to secure spots, given the fact while Yuhana and Tomoe are great, they haven't been the most consistent skaters. But score-wise, I would go for Mako hmm :think:
maybe they give Yuna one last chance to have better SB and get into top 24? She's currenly #26. Also Mako already had a medal so better give it to skaters who haven't

cohkaix

FS data keeper
Medalist
Any other comps that Wakaba and Mako can get assigned to? I don’t want their season to end.

For Wakaba's case, I think she might have expressed something like she'd want to have the injury cured first. And yes there should be still a couple of B competitions next year that JSF will assign skaters to. Those announcements will come later. (But in Mako's case, she was already sent to at least two CS early on in the season. So I'm not sure if another B competition in the spring will help her in term of her WS.)

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
The Japanese ladies swept Four Continents last year, and the odds would strongly favour them doing that again this year (and maybe for a few years to come). The next tier of contenders (Bradie, Eun-soo, hopefully Gabby if she's in shape to go) can probably only make the podium if the Japanese ladies make significant errors.

skatenewbie

Medalist
im so happy Mai get 4CC, hopefully she can have clean int. competition for the first time! Im sad Nana didnt get JWC again even though her form dropping from last year, hopefully she can get it together next season, Yuhana also will compete in senior, make it less competition as well. Does Hana Yoshida junior eligible next season?

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Remember, last year was an OLYMPIC year. The top US and Canadian skaters didn't go to 4CC in Asia. So it was easy for the Japanese ladies to win it all.

Danny T

Medalist
Remember, last year was an OLYMPIC year. The top US and Canadian skaters didn't go to 4CC in Asia. So it was easy for the Japanese ladies to win it all.

Well, the Canadian ladies were not there, that's true. The US ladies were a non-factor. The US ladies champion's PB last year was still lower than what Mai Mihara, the bronze medallist, scored.

This year, Bradie Tennell might challenge, but her PB is currently still behind Mai's PB, much less what Kaori and Rika have scored. In the same competition, all three have beaten her. I hope Gabby returns, we'll see at Canadian Nationals.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Yes, we know that. But nothing much changes this year, as I said; there is no America, South Korean, or Canadian lady who is competitive with the scores Rika, Satoko and Kaori can get while clean or clean-ish. Kaori got 141 at the Grand Prix Final for a free skate that had a fall, which is higher than other countries' top skaters have gotten while clean.

The only non-Japanese lady who might be at Four Continents who has ever gone above 140 in the free skate is Gabby Daleman, and if she's there I'm not expecting her to be in top shape, though obviously I hope she will be.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Yay Mai got 4CC!!

What the hell Yuna S. got JWC?! I thought that Wakana would got the third spot. But there was still a possibility that Nana gets the spot since Wakana finished just one place above her and didn't compete internationally, while Nana medaled at junior nats (Wakana was 6th) and got respectable results at JGP. BUT since fed decidely doesn't love Nana, they do her that crap by giving that spot to someone who is in her 2nd senior season.

largeman

choice beef
Medalist
I just watched Tomoe's free skate. She is such a massive, massive talent and a superstar in the making. I wish her good health and good coaching so she can have the chance to realize her immense potential.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
im so happy Mai get 4CC, hopefully she can have clean int. competition for the first time! Im sad Nana didnt get JWC again even though her form dropping from last year, hopefully she can get it together next season, Yuhana also will compete in senior, make it less competition as well. Does Hana Yoshida junior eligible next season?

At this rate Nana will have to learn 3A or a quad to get some love from fed.
Hana Yoshida will be junior next season. The novice champion too, she has good potential.