2018-19 Japanese Ladies' figure skating | Page 123 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Japanese Ladies' figure skating

skatenewbie

Medalist
I was watching NBC commentary this time, and I have to say the commentators came off a bit rudely about Mai. They called it a "practice skate" among other things, and really sharply criticized her smiling when facing the judges.... isn't that what you're supposed to do? Anyway I thought she did well considering her mistake on the combo, and I hope she can have an amazing redemption free (that music is so victorious during the StSq!). Rooting for Kaori, Mai, and Rika to skate the best they can tomorrow!
some people think that as a bad thing and some think its not. Personally i think its not a bad thing. i hope Mai is not robbed if she did a redemption skate just because she's 8th!

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports...ikely-continue-competitive-career-next-season

I hope that JSF consider giving Ayaka an international assignment!
a CS event would be nice

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
https://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports...ikely-continue-competitive-career-next-season

I hope that JSF consider giving Ayaka an international assignment!

The full interview will be on Jack Gallagher's podcast in the very near future.

Rika can still win, as she has before. 5th place seems to be her chosen SP spot, alas... I just hope the 3A in the short doesn't become a neurosis for her. Yes, I know she's injured but after so many mistakes on the same element it gets worrisome... Jennifer Thomas, give her strength! :bow:

Unfortunately, Ms. Thomas has confirmed that she has concerts around this time, so she won't be physically present this time around.

readernick

Medalist
US commentators being rude and shameless towards skaters not from the US?! What an utter shock.

They are quite rude to US skaters, too. Unless you are Nathan Chen then they love you. I really don’t like Tara and Johnny.

But, I do love Rika. So, Rika skate strong in the lp.

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
yes. ISU live stream it but only in country that are not broadcasting it. Also if you want to know about live stream info in FS you can go to https://soyouwanttowatchfs.com it is very helpful.

by the way im so happy for Mai she got a medal again! What a comeback from 8th place. Sad for Kaori though, its not easy skating last

If not for that utterly dejected look on her face when the score was announced, I'd have thought that Sakamoto might have deliberately singled that jump to give her teammate the extra points that Mihara needs more than she does.

yude

Record Breaker
It says Mai was in bad health condition from "juvenile idiopathic arthritis" after the competition of January and lost her weight.

https://twitter.com/mai_mihara_fan/status/1094203168169242624

I haven't talked about her weight anywhere before, but I believe I was not the only one seeing her loosing the weight in this season because it was visible. I feel like her biggest enemy is the disease she has. It's amazing she keeps fighting in the sport and also in her real life. I really wish her good luck and happiness in the next season.

About 4CC, Kaori was in the 2nd on my podium but oh well ;) Rika did it again and I was so impressed, especially by her mental strength. I hope she will stay strong and positive through all her competitive career.

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
Perhaps a stupid question, but couldn't Sakamoto have stuck on another 2T at the end of that final 3Lo-2T she did? That would have made the difference between finishing fourth and finishing second!

skatenewbie

Medalist
Perhaps a stupid question, but couldn't Sakamoto have stuck on another 2T at the end of that final 3Lo-2T she did? That would have made the difference between finishing fourth and finishing second!
no since she already did a 2T after 3F. Maximum only 2 2T allowed.

artsciboy

On the Ice
I am surprised that after popping the 2a resulting in the skipped 2a-3t-2t entirely that Kaori didn't convert the 3f-2t into another 3f-3t and then done the 3r-2t-2t. Maybe a good Plan B option as she prepares for Worlds. She's been pretty good about being able to tack on unplanned combinations in the past, but I also recognize that part of the challenge with the Piano FS is that the choreography is far more intricate than Amelie, etc.

Joekaz

On the Ice
I am surprised that after popping the 2a resulting in the skipped 2a-3t-2t entirely that Kaori didn't convert the 3f-2t into another 3f-3t and then done the 3r-2t-2t. Maybe a good Plan B option as she prepares for Worlds. She's been pretty good about being able to tack on unplanned combinations in the past, but I also recognize that part of the challenge with the Piano FS is that the choreography is far more intricate than Amelie, etc.
I think part of it was that her jumps were a little out of control on the landings, maybe from nerves. She seemed to be swinging out on the landings making it harder to go straight into another.

lanceupper1114

On the Ice
Satoko has some updated choreo in her SP at the Bavarian Open. Nice move at the end. She also got some low PCS for some reason :scratch2:

champs

Final Flight
Happy for the SP and not so much for the FS but overall I'm glad Yuna A. podiumed. I really wish she would learn to master -3T combos because her 3Lo takeoff seem randomly launched at times while the paucity between the jumps in a -3T combo allows better preparation into the second jump.

I don't know what kind of international assignments she will, or could, be given next season but her senior career won't be easy until she becomes more consistent with her jumps.

macy

Record Breaker
i have a feeling that the next OGM will go to a japanese lady. i don't have a prediction as to who...but for some reason i don't think it will be another russian.

amonemae

Rinkside
Satoko has some updated choreo in her SP at the Bavarian Open. Nice move at the end. She also got some low PCS for some reason :scratch2:

I think they were kind of just scaling everyone down, even Sima had low PCS there. I am more concerned that she is still being given stsq3 for her SP despite the changes. :(

For me, if Sakamoto gets a 3A, she could be the best skater in the entire field next season. Only Kihira with a quad could be better.

lzxnl

Final Flight
For me, if Sakamoto gets a 3A, she could be the best skater in the entire field next season. Only Kihira with a quad could be better.

If Kaori gets a consistent 3A next season, she would certainly be one to beat. However, Rika without her 3A is still on a pretty similar level to Kaori, except she doesn't have lutz edge issues. Kaori's skating is a little more fluid than Rika's, but I personally quite like Rika's interpretation of the music (whether that was innate or trained by coaches is a different story).

Then, of course, we have Sasha to deal with, who could possibly swarm the rest of the field with an insurmountable TES lead. Three quad Sasha will not be easy to beat, especially if she somehow lands her own 3A.