2018-19 Japanese Ladies' figure skating | Page 14 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Japanese Ladies' figure skating

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
I hope it's just for an EX, but since she will present a new program at Prince ice world this month....

cohkaix

FS data keeper
Medalist
I'll make a guess that it's likely for competitive program(s?). I've been following Benoit's Instagram since he did choreography for Mai and Kaori last summer. Benoit regularly makes posts about whom he works with for choreography. It's even more obvious that he's been adding so many photos with Wakaba, and adding hashtags #choreography to the photos. The only thing is that, considering the upcoming rule changes, would it be too early to get choreography done?

largeman

choice beef
Medalist
I really hope it’s just an ex program and she sticks with Massimo and Shae Lynn for “real programs.” I’m not familiar with Benoît Richaud’s work, all I know is Kaori’s and Bradie’s long programs this season literally made me cringe.

Wakaba's not going to Orser?

I hope she is. She could be the new phenom, someone who sparks a change, and asks the world to keep up with her. And Orser could help her do that.

rikaquegira

On the Ice
Why everyone keeps saying "X skater should go to Orser"? Is Orser that available? Has he voiced any intention of having a new skater under his wings?
And why would/should be Wakaba?
(I might be asking in the wrong place)

Iron Lotus

On the Ice
Why everyone keeps saying "X skater should go to Orser"? Is Orser that available? Has he voiced any intention of having a new skater under his wings?

Because Mr Triple Axle would relish teaching talented Wakaba the 3A.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I really hope it’s just an ex program and she sticks with Massimo and Shae Lynn for “real programs.” I’m not familiar with Benoît Richaud’s work, all I know is Kaori’s and Bradie’s long programs this season literally made me cringe.

Gubanova had great programs this season. I think he lets the skater chose their style and works with them. Wakababy has a strong presence...she’ll be fine! She really opened up this year so I wouldn’t be surprised to see her take yet even another step forward. Although I thought her SP this year kind of wasn’t a great fit. We’ll see...she’s a great talent and he seems excited. Starting this so early means she’ll be able to make any adjustments she sees fit with plenty of time.

Besides...she looks like she is enjoying the experience ;)
https://instagram.com/p/BhiLBxGHkVQ/

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker

he did Ivett's MJ and AC/DC programs which are very cool and original, and i really like Mai's SP even though she had some problems, this doesnt mean its gonna work with every skater he works with but i am excited, and i think post Olympic season is the best time to try something new

sakurano

Final Flight
Why would working with Richaud mean Waka won't go to TCC or leave her coach? Tbh I see zero relation. And do we even know for sure Richaud is doing a competitive program and not potentially an EX? I know it looks more likely all things considered, but as far as I know we have no confirmation.

There is nothing that says it but I do not prefer to have false hope.

On his instagram he just said that he had done a choreography for her , it is true that we have few details but generally we almost never see the choreographers who make the EX, and last year at that time he had done for Mai and Kaori programs and had pu a picture.
in any case at this stage it is only speculation.

So Marin, Rika and Wakaba are in training camp interesting :)

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker

There have been rumors of Waka going to TCC, like Max Ambesi said on Italian TV (and he often is the first source of some info regarding TCC, although usually more Yuzu-centric). And if I'm not wrong, Waka has been there before for Summer courses too.

Also, between the Japanese ladies, most are at a "better place" IMO, having coaches that seem to know a bit better how to maximize their skaters potential (no Lips in the SP, for example) and in general, they have close competition under the same coach. But Waka is a bit on her own in "no mans land" in Tokyo. And at least to me, a certain similarity to Yuzus situation is there in that sense. It wouldn't surprise me if JSF offered her to switch to a big international coach given the promise she has (and delivered on in Milan), and then TCC is quite an obvious choice (given it's working out for Yuzu and Waka has been there before). But if it happens I think news won't come in a while I guess.

yude

Record Breaker
https://youtu.be/6cJXLPGN8N4 Wakaba and Kaori having fun at Universal studios with Zhenya Medvedeva :)

Thank you very much for sharing, it was a really fun video!! Screaming Wakaba is so cute :laugh::luv17: I know how she feels because I'm not good at scary attractions either lol. They spent 3 hours in USJ and took 100 photos, and around 7:00, Zhenya said she wanted to cast a spell on Kaori and Wakaba to be able to speak Russian, and Wakaba said she wanted to cast a spell on Zhenya to be recovered from the injury. While they were eating at the restaurant at the end, they were asked about the goal of the next season. Kaori said she wanted to be able to do 3A, Wakaba said she wanted to make PB in every competition, Zhenya said she wanted to master more complex moves and try 3A and quad.

AnalyticalMind

Rinkside
According to her instagram, it looks like at least one of Wakaba's new programs will be choreographed by Benoit Richaud. No shade on the skaters, but Kaori's and Bradie's weren't exactly my faves this season. I'm not hugely excited (but looking forward to being proven wrong).

rnois13

On the Ice
According to her instagram, it looks like at least one of Wakaba's new programs will be choreographed by Benoit Richaud. No shade on the skaters, but Kaori's and Bradie's weren't exactly my faves this season. I'm not hugely excited (but looking forward to being proven wrong).
I try to focus on the silver lining that was Mai's Libertango when it comes to BR. If he's smart, he cannot mess this up for Wakaba.

rikaquegira

On the Ice

Oh, I feel the same...
But we always want our favorite skaters to work with our favorite choreographers. So I wanted Wakababy to work with Tom Dickson or David Wilson or Shae or even Jeffrey Buttle. BR is not one of my faves but Kaori’s long was not bad at all, the only part I kinda didn’t like was the “broken doll” thing she does that was kinda too long. Putting that aside it was a lovely program. Bradie hasn’t fully bloomed yet, her performance is not top level so we can’t really judge, the choreographer gives what the skater can work with. Someone like Wakaba can have way more complex, interesting and exciting choreo, that’s for sure!
So I’ll wait and see. Fingers crossed!

Ice Dance

Record Breaker

I don't care for his choreography either.