Page 4 of 147 FirstFirst 123456789101112131454104 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 2926

Thread: 2018-19 Japanese Ladies' figure skating

  1. #61
    Bona Fide Member Yatagarasu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    6,079

    2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by yoloaxel View Post
    Really? How cool if it's true!
    Yup. Nothing definite yet but at least the talk is present enough for him to mention it. I'd love, love for it to happen so I'm crossing everything!

  2. #62
    Can I give you some advice? Skate better. AshWagsFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    348
    Country: United States of America

    1 Not allowed!
    Did Marin Honda leave Hamada and move to California to train with Arutyunyan? I’m not sure, I’ve heard some rumors.

  3. #63
    Constant state xeyra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    6,524
    Country: Portugal

    1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by alvina9894 View Post
    I thought Mako is guaranteed 2? She's WJC medalist and she's on SB top 24.
    I'm not sure World Junior medalists have guaranteed GP spots anymore. The 2017 World Junior pairs champions didn't even get one spot this season. So Mako only has 1 guaranteed due to the Top 24 SB.

  4. #64
    Bona Fide Member ioanna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    3,572
    Country: Romania

    1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yatagarasu View Post
    Satoko barely lands her poor 2A. What on earth....

    It's hardly the end of the world but let's be realistic?!
    I've seen poorer 2A than hers. "Barely lands" is an exaggeration. I'm not holding my breath for a 3A so don't get me wrong. All I said is that nobody practices something that is impossible. She was asked a question and she gave a honest answer. That's all.

  5. #65
    Bona Fide Member Yatagarasu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    6,079

    1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ioanna View Post
    I've seen poorer 2A than hers. "Barely lands" is an exaggeration. I'm not holding my breath for a 3A so don't get me wrong. All I said is that nobody practices something that is impossible. She was asked a question and she gave a honest answer. That's all.
    Sure there are, no doubt, but I wouldn't say they should go for the 3A either.
    Did I dream that, or did she once do a 2A-3Lo? Though granted, that's hard on the hips so may be an issue. But with the rule changes happening, it's going to benefit her. Next season she's in the clear anyway, as Rika even if she moves up cannot touch her just yet. At the intl senior level she won't be any worse off than she was this season, with her PCS even rising. Seems futile to tinker with the 3A then especially as the 3A is not an ordinary triple.
    And by the time Trusova and Kostoraya show up, provided they've kept their jumps, everyone's in the same sinking boat anyway.

  6. #66
    Bona Fide Member ioanna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    3,572
    Country: Romania

    1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yatagarasu View Post
    Sure there are, no doubt, but I wouldn't say they should go for the 3A either.
    Did I dream that, or did she once do a 2A-3Lo? Though granted, that's hard on the hips so may be an issue. But with the rule changes happening, it's going to benefit her. Next season she's in the clear anyway, as Rika even if she moves up cannot touch her just yet. At the intl senior level she won't be any worse off than she was this season, with her PCS even rising. Seems futile to tinker with the 3A then especially as the 3A is not an ordinary triple.
    And by the time Trusova and Kostoraya show up, provided they've kept their jumps, everyone's in the same sinking boat anyway.
    Yes she did 2A-3Lo in practice She also does 3F-3T in practice and other things that weren't shown on video so that's one of the reasons why I think if she wasn't able to attempt 3A she wouldn't have mentioned it in the media. She's also been very realistic about her chances of actually landing it, which won't happen any time soon. It's more of a long term dream, which is how I see it as well. I trust her to make the appropriate decisions about her jumps; so far she's been smart about getting rid of the 3F in the SP and the 3-3 in the second half.

  7. #67
    Bona Fide Member ioanna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    3,572
    Country: Romania

    2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by yume View Post
    Main questions for next season:
    Will satoko still dominate in Japan and win a 5th title?
    Who will fight for the 3 spots?
    Who will move up to seniors, and slay?
    Who can fight for a medal against Eteristan in juniors?
    Can anyone challenge Eteristan in seniors?
    How many girls will attempt 3A and land it successfully?
    Will Rika Kihira attempt a quad?
    Can JSF have a better politicking?
    1. Satoko can't afford to make mistakes. I think one of Wakaba or Kaori are the most likely to beat her.

    2. Everyone. Just like few people expected Kaori to go to the Olympics, who knows who can rise to the occasion.

    3. Maybe Rika? Not sure about the slaying part.

    4. I don't think anybody can.

    5. Only if they have meltdowns like Alina at Worlds otherwise no.

    6. Rika, maybe Wakaba

    7. Not in competition no.

    8. No.

  8. #68
    Bona Fide Member Yatagarasu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    6,079

    1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ioanna View Post
    Yes she did 2A-3Lo in practice
    Well, I mean, as long as she's safe with it, and as you say she seems to be smart with it, good luck!
    And thanks, I was wondering. So many skaters, so many practice notes and videos....

  9. #69
    On the Ice
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    123

    2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ioanna View Post
    I've seen poorer 2A than hers. "Barely lands" is an exaggeration. I'm not holding my breath for a 3A so don't get me wrong. All I said is that nobody practices something that is impossible. She was asked a question and she gave a honest answer. That's all.
    I agree. I think Satoko’s 2A is very solid and her technique is not much worse than Rika K’s. And Satoko can rotate crazily fast. I like that she jumps the 2A from her legs and doesn’t use her upper body much to achieve the lift unlike her training mates Marin and Yuna S and so many top Russian girls ...

  10. #70
    Bona Fide Member yude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    3,025
    Country: Japan

    3 Not allowed!
    IF the rumor of Marin goes to USA (and Wakaba goes to Canada) is true, it is going to be huge challenge for their lives. Ganbatte

  11. #71
    On the Ice
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    294

    2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by xeyra View Post
    I'm not sure World Junior medalists have guaranteed GP spots anymore. The 2017 World Junior pairs champions didn't even get one spot this season. So Mako only has 1 guaranteed due to the Top 24 SB.
    I assume that they are still guaranteed. The Pair is in the very different situation due to the much fewer spots. Ladies and Men got 12X6=72 spots, but the Pairs got 8X6=only 48 spots.

    In addition to that, in the past all skaters who were in the top 24 SB list got 2 spots, on the other hand, skaters on WS list not always so, therefore Mako will get two spots for the next season definitely.

  12. #72
    Tripping on the Podium Kara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    956

    2 Not allowed!
    I oddly see Marin and Raf working really well together. Imagine her smiling next to him looking stern. I hope it's true. Hoping even more than Wakaba at cricket is true too.

  13. #73
    On the Ice
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    294

    2 Not allowed!
    Since some people on this thread do not seem to understand the system fully, I post this one here too. GPS spots are supposed to be earned by skaters, not picked for skaters by the federation.

    As for Japanese ladies,

    2 spots guaranteed from Worlds

    Higuchi
    Miyahara

    Not top 12 at Worlds but top 24 Season Best

    Sakamoto
    Mihara
    Honda
    Matsuda
    Yamashita

    So these seven ladies get 2 spots each, which means 7X2=14 spots. (Top 24 SB list guarantees only one spot, but skaters on that list always got 2 spots in the past)

    Also Rika Hongo's WS is still within Top 24, so one spot is guaranteed for her. However, unlike SB list, skaters on WS lists not always got two spots in the past.

    And now, there is a speculation among Japanese fans on what their federation would do with Rika Kihira. She did not win at JGP final, and she did not medal at JW either. Her SB is 27th, and her WS is 56th, which means she did not earn any senior GPS spot on her own.
    However, last year Yuna Shiraiwa did get two spots even though she did not have any of those qualifications. The Japanese federation gave a host spot to her, and also an invitational spot from France to her, even though Matsuda's SB was higher than Shiraiwa's (but both of theirs were lower than 24th) that means they thought Shiraiwa got the more potential than Matsuda.

    So it is very possible for Japan to get Rika Kihira two spots in the same way, and it is not difficult to imagine that their federation likes her to compete for the next Worlds which is going to be held in Japan since she finished 3rd at the senior Nationals and also she is the 3A jumper.

    14 spots are going to be used by other Japanese ladies, and one (+ one possibly) can be for Rika Hongo, and if Rika Kihira gets two spots, this means that 18 spots for Japanese ladies. I assume that one country can send three skaters to each GPS competition, which means that 3x6+18 is the max.

    And if Rika Kihira gets 2 and Rika Hongo gets 2, there is nothing for Shiraiwa because Japan can not get more than 18, despite of the fact that Shiraiwa's SB (26th) is higher than Kihira's (27th). And judging with their expectation on Kihira, they will not split two spots between them.

    Once again, senior GPS spots have to be earned by skaters, and the federations do not have much control unless they are on the skaters below SB 24th. Last year Shiraiwa could be favored over Matsuda because both of them were below SB 24th. However, this year Matsuda is within top 24 SB, so theoretically the Japanese federation cannot do anything on her two spots (If she does not get the second spot, that would be the first in the history). So if Kihira gets two spots, there is none for Shiraiwa, or Hongo's second spot might be sacrificed for Shiraiwa.

  14. #74
    Tripping on the Podium Kara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    956

    1 Not allowed!
    Has one country ever gotten all 18 spots though? I feel like I've never seen it happen just from other hosts wanting to protect their own skaters.

  15. #75
    GS Supporter SnowWhite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    3,452
    Country: Canada

    1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by bluelutz View Post
    I assume that they are still guaranteed. The Pair is in the very different situation due to the much fewer spots. Ladies and Men got 12X6=72 spots, but the Pairs got 8X6=only 48 spots.

    In addition to that, in the past all skaters who were in the top 24 SB list got 2 spots, on the other hand, skaters on WS list not always so, therefore Mako will get two spots for the next season definitely.
    They aren't. The rule changed a couple of years ago. The rule was the same for all disciplines.

    Quote Originally Posted by bluelutz View Post
    Since some people on this thread do not seem to understand the system fully, I post this one here too. GPS spots are supposed to be earned by skaters, not picked for skaters by the federation.

    As for Japanese ladies,

    2 spots guaranteed from Worlds

    Higuchi
    Miyahara

    Not top 12 at Worlds but top 24 Season Best

    Sakamoto
    Mihara
    Honda
    Matsuda
    Yamashita

    So these seven ladies get 2 spots each, which means 7X2=14 spots. (Top 24 SB list guarantees only one spot, but skaters on that list always got 2 spots in the past)

    Also Rika Hongo's WS is still within Top 24, so one spot is guaranteed for her. However, unlike SB list, skaters on WS lists not always got two spots in the past.
    Will it still be after the 2015-16 points are dropped?

  16. #76
    On the Ice
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    294

    2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kara View Post
    Has one country ever gotten all 18 spots though? I feel like I've never seen it happen just from other hosts wanting to protect their own skaters.
    As I wrote on the other thread, I myself do not recall that any country has got 18 spots for one GPS season, even by Russia or US(when they had lots of good skaters). However, theoretically it is supposed to be possible. And it should not matter things like other host wanting to protect their own skaters. However, when it comes to the invitational spots, that could be a different story. Though each hosts try to fill their list of 12 with skaters who earned the spots on their own, if they fail to do so, the extra spots are going to be the invitational ones, and they are very political ones as well since they can invite any skater on the SB list between 25 to 75. In other words, they do not have to pick skaters who are near 25, next ones on the list, instead they can invite ones who are much lower. So if Japan likes their skaters to get as many medals as possible and get some invitational spots, they do not have to give one to someone like Anna who can be a medal threat. However, there are always things like favors and returns. Since France did the favor for Japan by giving their invitational spot to Shiraiwa, Japan might do the same thing to France in the future. That kind of politics are always going on behind the closed doors.

    If Japan will not get 18 spots next season, there is no senior debut for Kihira. Judging with their expectation on Kihira, I do not think the federation likes her to go to the senior ranks with only one spot, the host spot. If Japan gets 17 spots, Hongo's second spot might be sacrificed for Kihira. We will see.

  17. #77
    On the Ice
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    294

    2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowWhite View Post
    They aren't. The rule changed a couple of years ago. The rule was the same for all disciplines.



    Will it still be after the 2015-16 points are dropped?
    Thanks, I did not know that rule change, but still I assume that Mako will get two spots. And Rika Hongo seems to be still in WS top 24. Someone calculated on the other thread, and she is going to be 17th, only one down from 16th, which is a bit hard to believe judging with what she has done internationally this season.

  18. #78
    On the Ice
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    294

    1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowWhite View Post
    They aren't. The rule changed a couple of years ago. The rule was the same for all disciplines.
    I just checked ISU site on this matter.

    Please read the second section from the bottom on the the Page 3.

    https://www.isu.org/docman-documents...eries-files-10

    Medallists from the ISU World Junior Figure Skating Championships 2017 and the gold medallists from
    the ISU Junior Grand Prix of Figure Skating Final 2016/17 will be included in the selection process.
    Skaters/Couples who have stated their intention to skate as Senior in the season 2017/18 might be
    included in the Grand Prix event(s)
    if they fulfil the requirements of the minimum Grand Prix score.


    Though it depends on how you interpret this, it seems to me that they are not guaranteed any spot but possibly they will get one. So just like I stated originally, since the spots are much more limited for the pairs, even the winning pair at JW could not be included on the next season's senior GPS. On the other hand, for singles, most of the time, they do have extra spots even for skaters did not meet the criteria, more likely they do have spots for JW medalist. Am I wrong? How do you read this?

  19. #79
    Bona Fide Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    5,844

    8 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by yude View Post
    IF the rumor of Marin goes to USA (and Wakaba goes to Canada) is true, it is going to be huge challenge for their lives. Ganbatte
    I thought for sure Marin would go to Brian. He seems cheery enough for her. Raf is going to be super serious. Maybe it will get her to focus.

    Well, at least now she can visit her Honda dealership with her name.

    http://www.marinhonda.com/?gaw=adwor...SAAEgI9zfD_BwE

  20. #80
    GS Supporter SnowWhite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    3,452
    Country: Canada

    1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by bluelutz View Post
    I just checked ISU site on this matter.

    Please read the second section from the bottom on the the Page 3.

    https://www.isu.org/docman-documents...eries-files-10

    Medallists from the ISU World Junior Figure Skating Championships 2017 and the gold medallists from
    the ISU Junior Grand Prix of Figure Skating Final 2016/17 will be included in the selection process.
    Skaters/Couples who have stated their intention to skate as Senior in the season 2017/18 might be
    included in the Grand Prix event(s)
    if they fulfil the requirements of the minimum Grand Prix score.


    Though it depends on how you interpret this, it seems to me that they are not guaranteed any spot but possibly they will get one. So just like I stated originally, since the spots are much more limited for the pairs, even the winning pair at JW could not be included on the next season's senior GPS. On the other hand, for singles, most of the time, they do have extra spots even for skaters did not meet the criteria, more likely they do have spots for JW medalist. Am I wrong? How do you read this?
    Included in the selection process doesn't mean much. It just means can feds are allowed to pick them. You're right that because there are a lot more singles spots, those medalists have a much better chance, but they aren't guaranteed anything. I'm sure she'll get at least one if she moves up.

Page 4 of 147 FirstFirst 123456789101112131454104 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •