2018-19 Japanese Ladies' figure skating | Page 7 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Japanese Ladies' figure skating

charlotte14

Medalist
He fired Mao due to a very sad misunderstanding. But yes Raf will be tough on Marin which I think she needs
Which leads me to a question, was Mie Hamada not tough enough on Marin? If I understand correctly, her group have high demand as well.

blackey

On the Ice
Which leads me to a question, was Mie Hamada not tough enough on Marin? If I understand correctly, her group have high demand as well.

Yeah, people here just have too much bias on Marin. Move to Raf is confirmed, I'm looking forward to see her next season.

steiner

Rinkside
I don't know if Raf will be the push Marin needs but I certainly hope it all works out.

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
Wishing good luck for Marin with this change. Let's hope it is a beneficial one for her.

randomfan

Record Breaker
What was the misunderstanding?

I don’t know much about it, but I think it had to do with Mao keeping her mother’s illness a secret. She had to keep going back to Japan and didn’t tell Raf why (at the time).

tars

Record Breaker
Seriously though - friendly, relaxed Californian atmosphere, away from Japanese media plus technically demanding coach may totally bring Marin back to the very top of Japanese ladies. Raf was waiting so long for another talented skater after Mao, now he has all the "ingredients" to create a champion. These two seem to be made for each other! :gclap:

kimi492

Final Flight

Mie Hamada is tough but in a way I don't think was productive for Marin - slamming her in the press, comparing her to Satoko. Also it's hearsay so I am keeping that in mind, but according to Meghan Duhamel - Hamada is somewhat physically abusive/tough(?) - I could be totally wrong but I don't really see Raf doing that nor have I heard anything about that kind of behavior from him - he might just not talk to you for the rest of the day after a disappointing skate (or that's the vibe as a viewer I get LOL) but he's not yanking pigtails

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
So it's confirmed?

Well I mean, I don't think this is the ideal thing for her but what can I say, apart from good luck!

blackey

On the Ice
Mie Hamada is tough but in a way I don't think was productive for Marin - slamming her in the press, comparing her to Satoko. Also it's hearsay so I am keeping that in mind, but according to Meghan Duhamel - Hamada is somewhat physically abusive/tough(?) - I could be totally wrong but I don't really see Raf doing that nor have I heard anything about that kind of behavior from him - he might just not talk to you for the rest of the day after a disappointing skate (or that's the vibe as a viewer I get LOL) but he's not yanking pigtails

I think she's just being a typical Asian coach. Things are very different from what's in Canada and Meagan just ain't familiar with that.

kimi492

Final Flight
I think she's just being a typical Asian coach. Things are very different from what's in Canada and Meagan just ain't familiar with that.
I understand the culture differences - but my hope is this completely different environment is much more productive for her

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I understand the culture differences - but my hope this completely different environment is much more productive for her

California is a great place. It really should be an exciting time in her career and hopefully she can use the experience to her advantage.

combinationspin

On the Ice
Raf and Mie act so differently in the kiss and cry. Mie always smiles and nods to the camera even if her skaters bomb badly. Hearing she is tough behind the scenes is kind of surprising to me. Raf always shows his frustration on the kiss and cry right away in so many ways.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada

I don't recall Meagan saying that. IIRC, she just said that Mie is a tough coach even though she's very bubbly/warm in the KnC. I don't think she was implying anything bad - just that she can be harsher/more demanding than she looks. I definitely don't remember her saying anything about physical abuse.

kimi492

Final Flight
I don't recall Meagan saying that. IIRC, she just said that Mie is a tough coach even though she's very bubbly/warm in the KnC. I don't think she was implying anything bad - just that she can be harsher/more demanding than she looks. I definitely don't remember her saying anything about physical abuse.

I could find the time stamp for you but I'm on my phone; I remember that part clearly though because I went back to watch it before I posted that- she says it when Dave tells her and Jonathan that if Marin goes to Raf he would yell at her - Meagan then says she's heard Mie yells a lot too. She then says that she yanks on the girls ponytails. When Dave is surprised, saying she looks so nice in the Kiss & Cry, Meghan then says appearances are deceiving.

EDIT: It's at 24:00

yude

Record Breaker
I could find the time stamp for you but I'm on my phone; I remember that part clearly though because I went back to watch it before I posted that- she says it when Dave tells her and Jonathan that if Marin goes to Raf he would yell at her - Meagan then says she's heard Mie yells a lot too. She then says that she yanks on the girls ponytails. When Dave is surprised, saying she looks so nice in the Kiss & Cry, Meghan then says appearances are deceiving.

EDIT: It's at 24:00

Yelling at the students is common in teaching various sports in Japan, I know it is kind of old style but I can say there are many coaches still do that. I am not able to comment on "yanking on the girls ponytails" because my opinion would depend on which way Hamada did that, like did she do that jokingly or seriously with her full force etc. And physical abuse is HUGE topic in sports and schools in Japan right now, so I don't think any coach wants to risk his/her career for doing that. (you will not believe what is happening in Sumo right now, it is a total mess)

blackey

On the Ice
If Marin were to ever become a real contender, she'd need to improve her work ethic

https://youtu.be/2guyUpdSKXA?t=868

and strengthen her fragile psyche. (She's not been the same since this moment.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Myb5GZGMPow

Tom literally confirmed Marin's work ethic is like average US skaters I don't know what's your point here.

Also fragile? speaking of the mentality of an athlete, it's not about what your face look like when you get the result, it's about how you go out and do your own performance. Also literally half of the silver medalists at the past olympics burst into tears when they get the result.