2018-19 Japanese Ladies' figure skating | Page 9 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Japanese Ladies' figure skating

Sportfan

Match Penalty
I think everyone here is talking about her debut season as a senior, not about her achievements in the junior circuit.

Not me. I was talking about Rika Kihira and her weak mentality, compared to her Marin delivered when it counted. She is junior world champion and silver medalist (well, for me 2 time JW champion :sarcasm:) while Rika is... well...
So don't say Marin is mentally weak, when there are other japanese skaters worse than her.

russianfan

Match Penalty
Well if we compare Kihira and Honda i would like to notice that at least Kihira fails when she attempts a pretty hard layout, when Honda fails to deliver much simpler one.

randomfan

Record Breaker
Exactly! Even Mie Hamada herself stated that Marin is her most talented student (more talented than Satoko and Rika).

I don’t understand why you keep bringing this statement back from time to time. As other people have pointed out in the previous times you said this, Hamada specifically said that Marin is the most naturally talented of her skaters, which actually shouldn’t be that big of a deal. Why?

Well, Marin has a lot of strong areas in her skating, but she has not showcased her full potential yet. First, she is not as consistent as other skaters so we see her making more jump mistakes. Her SS and presentation are very impressive considering how young she is, but her programs don’t show the best that she could do. And finally, the mindset - multiple sources have stated that Marin relies too much on her natural talent so she doesn’t practice as much. That is just wrong. No matter how good of a skater you think you are, you should still think of practice as an important and timely schedule. Anyways, she hasn’t shown her full potential yet, which means all her natural talent means close to nothing if she can’t present it properly.

tars, I’ll say this for the last time - there’s no reason to keep using this as a definite comparison between Marin and Hamada’s other students, which always seems to be the main purpose for you to bring this point up in the first place.

lovaticcanada

On the Ice
Marin did win US Classic over Karen Chen and Mirai Nagasu, and finished 3rd in the Challenge Cup. So technically, she did win medals this season, just not the ones she was hoping to win.

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
So? In the end, only medals matter.

How did Seniors work out for Honda exactly? From she isn't even thinking about not going to the Olympics, to no GP medals, no GPF, no Worlds and most definitely no Olympics. Her skating even deteriorated.

yoloaxel

Record Breaker
Not me. I was talking about Rika Kihira and her weak mentality, compared to her Marin delivered when it counted. She is junior world champion and silver medalist (well, for me 2 time JW champion :sarcasm:) while Rika is... well...
So don't say Marin is mentally weak, when there are other japanese skaters worse than her.

JNats this year: Rika Kihira 3rd (208 points), Marin Honda 7th (193 points). I never said Marin is mentally weak, I just said she has to work more.

sakurano

Final Flight
in view of the recent photo it was obvious that she go to the USA to change the driver I'm not sensitive to her skating but it is clear that she has the means to be a great arthiste, so this change is good for her .

If she thinks she will not stand up to the pressure and "bad treatment of RAF" I do not think she will have come to him, after all change of environment is not easy.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Can we stop all those comparisons please? They have all their strengths. And a medal doesn't say who is better than who. Or let's agree now that Mao is the greatest Japanese lady ever, cause she's the most medaled by far:biggrin:

mikeko666

Final Flight
Marin showed a lot of maturity in her first senior season. And her mentality being weak? Please :sarcasm: If you want to talk about someone with a weak mentality, then try it with Rika Kihira. Marin at least delivered when it counted :coffee:

What's the point of comparing Marin to a junior skater?

It was also Kaori's first season as a senior, and she recognized what she lacked was experience. So she started her season early with Asian Open in August, and she participated as many competitions as possible, both domestic and international, big and small. That is how she won the Olympic spot. What was Marin's strategy?

Mikansei

Learning how to spin
On the Ice
I think Marin has a lot of potential and natural talent, she has the IT factor, good SS and flow. She was a very polished skater in junior despite her young age.

Since she had so much natural talent, she got good results and success easily as a novice and junior without having to work as hard as other skaters. As some have mentioned already, natural talent alone can't take you to the top, you need to work hard as well. Judging from her recent interview I think it was difficult for her to accept and realize that she won't get the same results so easily as a junior when turning senior. She needs to work much harder.

I hope changing to Raf will help with her mindset and jumps. (Mie Hamada's students doesn't really have great jumping technique.) If she works hard and stop thinking that her natural talent alone will give her all the success she will be great. I've been following her ever since she was a novice so I hope she will be able to show her full potential one day.

christinaskater

Medalist
Marin’s biggest mistake is not coming back to ‘Romeo and Juliet’. Had she skated that number, she would’ve challenged better

christinaskater

Medalist
I’m so proud of Wakaba Higuchi.
She is truly one of the best out there. At a young age, she has maturity beyond her years. Her jumps have great power, distance and height. She also has beautiful interpretation and connection with the music. I’m so happy she won the World Silver Medal. If rumours are true, I’m really excited to see her work with Mr. Orser.

I’m so proud of Tiny Queen Satton Satoko Miyahara! Happy birthday Satoko! Double world medalist (my personal Olympic Champion)! You’ve done so well this season.You’re one of the greats in the sport!

I’m so proud of Mai Mihara, Kaori and all our other super stars! The Japanese field is so deep!

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Marin’s biggest mistake is not coming back to ‘Romeo and Juliet’. Had she skated that number, she would’ve challenged better

Her issues weren't programs. It was technical errors. She just wasn't competitive. I didn't sense any fire from her. Like Sakamoto coming out of almost nowhere, Miyahara returning from injury, and also Wakaba at Worlds. Even Mihara was solid and refused to back down. Marin was just so safe/relying on hype... the others actually outskated her even though the judges and fans were so eager to have her on top. Hopefully Rafael brings this to her skating - attack and competitive spirit. Being in the same environment as Chen might help.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Kaori was not coming out of nowhere. She was already consistent in juniors with a JGP, JGPF medal, national junior title, and junior world medal. She was just not hyped.
I remember i wrote in another forum in the beginning of season that i wouldn't be surprised if the two Olympic skaters were Kaori and Yuna S. Since none was in the lead in that deep field.

yude

Record Breaker

sakurano

Final Flight
WOW all these Japanese women who try the 3A I am happy for them we wish them success, the Japanese did not say their last words.

I wonder how good Kaori's 3A is, I'd like to see it.
For Mai I think it's a good idea that she's trying new technique but I think for the Quads it's a bit early, both have progressed arthistically so I guess they will continue in their throw.

Barb

Record Breaker
I think Marin has a lot of potential and natural talent, she has the IT factor, good SS and flow. She was a very polished skater in junior despite her young age.

Since she had so much natural talent, she got good results and success easily as a novice and junior without having to work as hard as other skaters. As some have mentioned already, natural talent alone can't take you to the top, you need to work hard as well. Judging from her recent interview I think it was difficult for her to accept and realize that she won't get the same results so easily as a junior when turning senior. She needs to work much harder.

I hope changing to Raf will help with her mindset and jumps. (Mie Hamada's students doesn't really have great jumping technique.) If she works hard and stop thinking that her natural talent alone will give her all the success she will be great. I've been following her ever since she was a novice so I hope she will be able to show her full potential one day.

Agree, I don´t think Rafael is a kind of magical guru coach but simply to see her moving out of her comfort zone says a lot, and everyone have talked a lot about all the hype around her, well, in my opinion, it will be the main benefical point, she will be far from all of that to focus on her training. Japanese skaters are very special, they can get all the hype and stay so focused (Yuzu, Shoma, Mao, Satoko), Marin is not like that, she does not seem Japanese, she loves the attention and get distracted easily, so, this change will help her, I hope :slink:. And people change and mature with time, look at Mirai.