2018-19 U.S. Ladies' figure skating | Page 192 | Golden Skate

2018-19 U.S. Ladies' figure skating

DenissVFan

Medalist
Last weekend Raf was with Nathan and Michal at the GPF but it's not a given that otherwise he would have gone to Zagreb with Mariah. Ashley once said that he doesn't normally go to smaller competitions. I've seen Amy Lin alone in the K&C many times.

tothepointe

On the Ice
I wonder if she said she was OK being by herself. I can't imagine that Raf would let her go it alone unless she said it was OK. Raf has a decent sized team and I bet they would have gone if asked. He only had Mariah and Nathan there this weekend right?

It might be a cost savings measure. Mariah doesn't have a lot of major sponsorships and i'm sure she's probably trying to save some of the expense of having a coaching team fly out with her. She seemed to do ok regardless.

klutzy

On the Ice
Given that Mariah won a bronze, I'd say she was okay with it. In some ways, it struck me as a sign of her maturity--and with her, that's a good thing--more poise off the ice can me more confidence on.

Maybe the U.S. should just embrace its late-developing skater trend--with, of course, the occasional Michelle Kwan/Alysa Liu exception. Mirai Nagasu showed everyone that you can pick up new jumps in your mid-twenties if you have the drive and talent to do so.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
100% agree that Bradie should train with an ice dancer over the summer. Not just for skating skills, but overall more graceful arm/upper body movements. …

Bradie's choreographer Benoit Richaud was an ice dancer. If I am not mistaken, Bradie's work with him has been continuing over the season?

andromache

Record Breaker
Bradie's choreographer Benoit Richaud was an ice dancer. If I am not mistaken, Bradie's work with him has been continuing over the season?

It’s my understanding he only ever competed at the junior level, I believe?

I guess I was thinking that there could possibly be more benefit from training with someone who is much more experienced ice dancer with skating skills that are known to be top tier (or close to it).

Meanwhile, heck, hire Ashley Wagner as a consultant on emoting on ice or something. She was not always a stunning, natural performer, but it was something she learned over the course of her career.

ice coverage

Record Breaker

I guess I was thinking that there could possibly be more benefit from training with someone who is much more experienced ice dancer with skating skills that are known to be top tier (or close to it).

Meanwhile, heck, hire Ashley Wagner as a consultant on emoting on ice or something. She was not always a stunning, natural performer, but it was something she learned over the course of her career.

FWIW: At the senior level, Benoit Richaud and partner competed at Euros. And as seniors, they won the bronze at French nationals.

I think Charlie White (whom I admire very much) would be an asset to any team (including Bradie's), but if "more graceful arm/upper body movements" (per your original post) and "emoting on ice" (per your second post) are major parts of the goal, let's just say that Charlie is not the first ice dancer who leaps to my mind. I am not so sure that he automatically would have a superior ability to help someone work on those qualities. YMMV.

andromache

Record Breaker
FWIW: At the senior level, Benoit Richaud and partner competed at Euros. And as seniors, they won the bronze at French nationals.

I think Charlie White (whom I admire very much) would be an asset to any team (including Bradie's), but if "more graceful arm/upper body movements" (per your original post) and "emoting on ice" (per your second post) are major parts of the goal, let's just say that Charlie is not the first ice dancer who leaps to my mind. I am not so sure that he automatically would have a superior ability to help someone work on those qualities. YMMV.

Oops, my bad. That's what I get for reading Wikipedia on my phone in the middle of the night. :laugh:

Anyway, the only reason Charlie White comes to mind specifically is because he is a former ice dancer based in the US who is actively choreographing for current skaters, as well as someone who still skates/performs regularly himself in shows.

Alternatively (and this is REALLY random and extremely unlikely to happen) - what if Bradie spent a few months with Aljona over the summer? She worked miracles with Alexa and Chris in improving skating skills and movement quality over a short period of time. And that was with choreo by Benoit, as well.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Another Team Raf skater, Andrea Montesinos Cantu of Mexico, was at Golden Spin along with Mariah.

I do not know why a coach was not with Mariah (or Andrea?) in the Kiss and Cry.

But Derrick Delmore does not strike me as an obvious solution … unless I have missed something. Does Mariah actually have a working and/or personal relationship with him??

If not, it would be a different type of situation from Derrick being in the Kiss and Cry with his close friend Adam.

In any case, congratulations to Mariah and Bradie.

I wonder too. Not unthinkable to me.

Derrick has been in the K&C with Mariah before. I think it was at SLC when her costume got caught in her hair, I remember him taking a cute photo with her in the K&C. Granted it was a couple years ago, but he at least in the past had a working relationship with her.

sheetz

Record Breaker
It might be a cost savings measure. Mariah doesn't have a lot of major sponsorships and i'm sure she's probably trying to save some of the expense of having a coaching team fly out with her. She seemed to do ok regardless.

I agree that cost may have been a consideration. In addition, Japanese and Korean nationals are coming up in the next couple of weeks so it's a crucial time for both Marin and Eunsoo. Being new to Team Raf they would need the extra coaching.

rlopen

On the Ice
Bradie's PCS are fair. It's just that some skaters are so incredibly overscored. I don't like the overscoring of some others so I'm not going say that Bradie's should be higher, but they need to reign in some of the other top ladies' PCS.

Yes her PCS is fair for the system...but I think it’s unfair compared to other ladies and what the judges mark for others...and in the end that’s what matters, not how the system SHOULD work.

ice coverage

Record Breaker

mrrice

Record Breaker

I think this is a fantastic idea!!

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
Perhaps Bradie could spend some time closely watching videos of Alena Kostornaia 's style of movement then practicing moves she likes best with a dance coach on hand to advise.... would this kind of benchmarking work at all? My feeling is she could not help but learn something this way ... would be awkward at first but with persistence and practice things might click. A young Jason Brown practiced his spins over and over, created new approaches to his spins, until they became effortless and perfect... now he is considered one of skating's best spinners often compared to Lsmbiel... exquisite spins, like fluid, graceful movments don't just happen but require alot of dedication, attention to detail, and practice til it becomes second nature. One has to deem it important enough to devote the time and effort.

brightphoton

Medalist
Did you know that Mirai had a major hip injury at the Pyeongchang Olympics? Holy moly :shocked: :shocked: And still gave us that brilliant team performance

Nagasu said landing the triple axel jump is one of the proudest achievements of her life, especially because she was in pain during the entire competition. She was skating at the Olympics with an injured hip. She said it was crucial that the media and judges were left unaware, lest they score her with the injury in mind.

“I like to think that pain was worth it,” she said. “Some things are worth fighting for. You would never be able to tell, I hope, that I was injured because I would never ever tell the media that there was a crack to my armor.”

https://dailynorthwestern.com/2018/...tbacks-and-landing-that-historic-triple-axel/

frida80

Record Breaker
Did you know that Mirai had a major hip injury at the Pyeongchang Olympics? Holy moly :shocked: :shocked: And still gave us that brilliant team performance

https://dailynorthwestern.com/2018/...tbacks-and-landing-that-historic-triple-axel/

She had a huge piece of tape on her groin muscle. I knew something was up from the start. Adrenaline and determination will kill the pain and keep you focused. I wouldn't say it was major injury. Just one that was enough to cause her some pain. They probably did some local anesthesia and kept it moving.

brightphoton

Medalist
She had a huge piece of tape on her groin muscle. I knew something was up from the start. Adrenaline and determination will kill the pain and keep you focused. I wouldn't say it was major injury. Just one that was enough to cause her some pain. They probably did some local anesthesia and kept it moving.

ugh, I want to watch Mirai's Olympic free program now, and it's not available anywhere???? why are the Olympics so greedy with their copyrights

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
I have full confidence that Bradie will improve her pcs. Her arm movements are better than Kaori at least, and she has her natural long lines. I really like her programs this season. Maybe she just needs to skate to some lighter/fun music to cheer the crowd. This is only her second senior season (and third international season?)

theharleyquinn

Medalist
And yet I still think Benoit is a better fit for Kaori than Bradie is. Benoit seems to love a lot a quirk and I'm not sure if that's Bradie's style. I could see someone like Shae-Lynn doing better work for her but she would really have to work on elevating her performance quality and extensions.

I don't think Liza has much more going for her in most of the PCS marks than Bradie but she can sell a program, amd that plus her jump quality makes all the difference.