Page 284 of 284 FirstFirst ... 184234274275276277278279280281282283284
Results 5,661 to 5,679 of 5679

Thread: 2018-19 U.S. Ladies' figure skating

0 Not allowed!
    While those numbers aren't good, they aren't as tragic as I would've imagined. With some decent promotion, I think FS could certainly grow a lot more, too bad it seems like everyone involved in USFS seems incompetent or doesn't care...

On the Ice

0 Not allowed!
    Surprisingly, viewerships in total for Nationals have consistently been increasing and memberships for USFSA have been growing for the first time since like 2006. Hopefully this trend can keep going.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by natsulian View Post
    Surprisingly, viewerships in total for Nationals have consistently been increasing and memberships for USFSA have been growing for the first time since like 2006. Hopefully this trend can keep going.
    At a time when it seems like everything is pointing to a decline in US figure skating, this is certainly good news to hear.

On the Ice

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by natsulian View Post
    I don't know if this was ever posted, but here are the viewerships for the 2019 U.S. Figure Skating Championships:
    • Women's Free Skate - 3.06 million
    Down 32% from last year's 4.48 million (this was during the Olympics), BUT up by 9% from the last non-Olympic year in 2017 (2.81 million)
    • Men's Free Skate - 1.78 million
    Up 112% from last year. The men's skates have been consistently increasing over the years. Might go up to 2 million in 2020.
    So strange that men's skating gets less viewership than ladies', while being vastly superior in all respects.

I wonder, what's the rational of that missing one third of the ladies' spectators, (over 1 mil!), that chose not to watch men? "They don't wear short skirts, and don't have boobs, so we're not interested"? "They don't look like us, or like our figure-skating daughters, so who cares?"

I'm genuinely curious.

0 Not allowed!
    I don’t really know. Ladies free skate was on a Friday evening though, and men’s free skate was on Sunday during the daytime.

Tripping on the Podium

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by oatmella View Post
    I don’t really know. Ladies free skate was on a Friday evening though, and men’s free skate was on Sunday during the daytime.
    Maybe because the ladies are very unpredictable? I heard many people predicted Nathan Chen was going to win Nationals, while they were unsure of the ladies. Could also be because everyone is relying on Rocker Skating (Jackie Wong) now.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Casual View Post
    So strange that men's skating gets less viewership than ladies', while being vastly superior in all respects.

I wonder, what's the rational of that missing one third of the ladies' spectators, (over 1 mil!), that chose not to watch men? "They don't wear short skirts, and don't have boobs, so we're not interested"? "They don't look like us, or like our figure-skating daughters, so who cares?"

I'm genuinely curious.
    Well I think part of it is there are a lot more little girls growing up doing figure skating than little boys. And if you're a little girl, you might really look up to someone who you see as an "older you" more than you would look up to a man. And yes, maybe its as shallow as little girls liking the pretty dresses and stuff like that more. As for adults, I don't know, but in every sport there always seems to be one gender category that is more favored for whatever reason. Its the same way in gymnastics - in fact I think its a much larger difference between women and men's viewership in gymnastics.

0 Not allowed!

I'm genuinely curious.
    I think the answer is that many people disagree with you. Ladies figure skating has always been more popular in the US. People like watching ladies more than men. For example, me. I like mens too. But sometimes it's painful to sit through even just the last 2 groups of men, but I can easily sit through a ladies competition. I think ladies are more well-rounded, competitive, and polished as a whole, compared to men.

Outdated Old Dinosaur

0 Not allowed!

I'm genuinely curious.
    At least in America, this is what I think. And, I must stress, THIS GENERALIZATION DOES NOT APPLY TO MYSELF.

We have a long tradition of lady champions being "America's Sweetheart." The girl next door. The kind of girl we fantasize our daughters being like. Peggy Fleming. Dorothy Hamill. Michelle Kwan.

Male figure skating struggles against the stereotype of being a sport of gay men. Viewed suspiciously. Not who we want our sons to be. When he was the US Champion, nearly every interview with Michael Weiss included mention that he was married. I thought he should just wear a headband that said "Not Gay!" so he could convey his message with fewer words.

Obviously, things are changing in respect to how gay men are viewed generally, but there's no question that the ladies are still the premier event in America.

ETA: There's even a perception that most male fans of the sport must be gay, otherwise, why would they watch?

On the Ice

0 Not allowed!
    Isabelle Inthisone shows us her 4T on the harness. Work on the 4T began a few months ago.

Check out her story --> https://www.instagram.com/isabelleinthisone/

On the Ice

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by TontoK View Post
    At least in America, this is what I think. And, I must stress, THIS GENERALIZATION DOES NOT APPLY TO MYSELF.

We have a long tradition of lady champions being "America's Sweetheart." The girl next door. The kind of girl we fantasize our daughters being like. Peggy Fleming. Dorothy Hamill. Michelle Kwan.

Male figure skating struggles against the stereotype of being a sport of gay men. Viewed suspiciously. Not who we want our sons to be. When he was the US Champion, nearly every interview with Michael Weiss included mention that he was married. I thought he should just wear a headband that said "Not Gay!" so he could convey his message with fewer words.

Obviously, things are changing in respect to how gay men are viewed generally, but there's no question that the ladies are still the premier event in America.

ETA: There's even a perception that most male fans of the sport must be gay, otherwise, why would they watch?
    Such a sad case, but I do concur. I mean, at the end of the day, they're missing out on one of the most creative sports in the entire world so... who's loss is it really? They can wallow in their ignorance.

Medalist

0 Not allowed!
    Is Kaitlyn Nguyen still competing? Did she compete at regionals and sectionals last season but just not make it to nationals?

Tripping on the Podium

0 Not allowed!

I agree! Figure skating is not a gay sport! It may look like one, but it definitely isn’t. We should look at the ones that married/dating the other gender, such as Evan Lysacek (spelling) and Andrey Lazukin.

On the Ice

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by figurefan0726 View Post
    I agree! Figure skating is not a gay sport! It may look like one, but it definitely isn’t. We should look at the ones that married/dating the other gender, such as Evan Lysacek (spelling) and Andrey Lazukin.
    I don’t necessarily think something can “look” gay. You cannot look like a sexuality, that’s absurd.

Rinkside

0 Not allowed!

Although it is sad, I think you have a point here. When non-skating parents sign up their kids to LTS programs, they have different vision depending on whether the child is a girl or a boy. From my observation, LTS from basic 1 to basic 6 are overwhelmingly girls' classes. Even if there are a couple boys in the beginning, they tend to not continue at a certain point. And it is the opposite for the learn to hockey program. When there are not enough boys in the sports to start with, it not only discourages boys who are interested in doing the sports and developing their skills, but also makes this impression that it is mainly a girl's sports among youngsters and their parents, which is worse in my opinion. For most people here, you have already known a lot about the sports, and your knowledge and your appreciation make you immune to the stereotype. But for parents with a skating child, they don't necessarily know enough to understand the sports, not to say support their boy to pursue a career down the road. But then to understand it better, you really have to make an effort to educate yourself, for figure skating is such a complicated and comprehensive sports, so why bother? Ignorance is the real obstacle.

One of the good things happening in us man's figure skating is that Nathan is doing so well both athletically and academically. He is a role model and I hope he inspires more boys to participate in this sports. Oops, this is the women's thread.

On the Ice

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by figurefan0726 View Post
    Who cares what the sexual orientation or gender performance of a given athlete is? What matters is artistic and athletic excellence on the ice and excellence of character off the ice.

By all means figure skating should promote itself as an inclusive sport, one that welcomes skaters of every orientation--and sex, race, and religion. But it should do so in ways that reject the stigmatization and mockery of homosexuality, not that reject homosexuality or reinforce anti-LGBTQ prejudices.

Tripping on the Podium

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ribbit View Post
    Who cares what the sexual orientation or gender performance of a given athlete is? What matters is artistic and athletic excellence on the ice and excellence of character off the ice.

By all means figure skating should promote itself as an inclusive sport, one that welcomes skaters of every orientation--and sex, race, and religion. But it should do so in ways that reject the stigmatization and mockery of homosexuality, not that reject homosexuality or reinforce anti-LGBTQ prejudices.
    Yes! Figure skating should be a sport where everyone is having fun, and doing what they want to do! It shouldn’t be stereotyped.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluediamonds09 View Post
    Is Kaitlyn Nguyen still competing? Did she compete at regionals and sectionals last season but just not make it to nationals?
    I believe Kaitlyn's last competition was US nationals in 2018. The past few months, she has been posting clips on her Instagram of herself doing triples, 2A, and 2A combo. I'm hoping we get to see her compete in the upcoming season.

Bona Fide Member

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ribbit View Post

I still believe that the lack of top sponsors is a big problem. The lack of commercial advertisement here in California was noticeable. I am willing to search high and low to watch skating and every year it seems to get more and more difficult. I will never give up on this sport that I love but, if it's going to grow, we need beg on bended knee for big sponsors.

Page 284 of 284 FirstFirst ... 184234274275276277278279280281282283284