2018-19 U.S. Ladies' figure skating | Page 10 | Golden Skate

2018-19 U.S. Ladies' figure skating

frida80

Record Breaker
Whoops. I knew something was off lol. It's been a long week.
Lets try this:
3flip
3loop-3loop
2a
-
3sal-2t-2lo
3flip-2t
3lutz
3sal
BV: 61.85 :)

Here’s a layout with +3T combos.

3F+3T — 9.6
3Lz — 6
FCSp4 — 3.2
Stsq4 — 3.9
3S+3T — 9.57
3F — 5.83
3Lo — 5.61
2A+2T+2Lo — 6.58
2A — 3.63
FCCoSp4 — 3.5
ChSq — 2
CCoSp4 3.5

BV=62.92
If they only give bonuses for 4 jumping passes then, add a 2A to the beginning. Then the BV is 62.59.

The penalties are very harsh for missing a 3Lo+3Lo combination. With a downgrade, its like you never did a combo in the first place. 3T combos are better for your BV and preserving your overall score.

bubblecherry

Final Flight
Mirai has ALWAYS performed well in exhibitions over the years. Her problem has been performing well while competing. In DWTS competition, she will have a partner who is a professional dancer guiding her all the way. In skating competition, she is on the ice by herself and she has to execute the same moves she's been doing for years with a somewhat limited degree of success. She of course wants to attain a higher level of success, and so she concentrates her efforts on the technical execution of her programs rather than on the performance quality. That approach has been ingrained in her for the past ten years; a few months on DWTS isn't going to change it.

People learn in different ways. If she thinks she can apply what she learns in DWTS to her skating, that's fine. If it doesn't do anything, that's fine. Not everything needs to be a debate or a dig at a skater. She thinks DWTS could help her skating- it may or may not, but there's no harm in saying that or attempting to make that happen.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
People learn in different ways. If she thinks she can apply what she learns in DWTS to her skating, that's fine. If it doesn't do anything, that's fine. Not everything needs to be a debate or a dig at a skater. She thinks DWTS could help her skating- it may or may not, but there's no harm in saying that or attempting to make that happen.

:agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree:

Go, Mirai :yay:.

Weathergal

Medalist
Speaking of Mirai, she's headlining the Sun Valley show on Aug 11.
https://www.sunvalley.com/things-to-do/ice-shows

Thanks for the link! I was curious who else is on their schedule for this year and wanted to post it in case anyone else is also curious. So far it's:
July 4 - Maia Shibutani / Alex Shibutani
July 21 - Nathan Chen
July 28 - TBA
August 4 - TBA
August 11 - Mirai Nagasu
August 25 - Bradie Tennell
September 1 - TBA

Neat to see Bradie get a spot - this, along with SOI, is a nice opportunity for her to get more show experience, which hopefully will help her to continue to develop her performance quality. Go Bradie!

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
Three names: Emily Chan, Paige Rydberg, Emmy Ma. Each a glorious skater with great qualities. Each a great spinner. Each has the tendency to be disastrous. Emily finished dead last at nationals, Emmy choked at junior worlds, and Paige did not make it to nationals at all. This should not be, they are amazingly good.
None has a chance at a GP spot this coming season, but is there any chance for Finlandia Trophy or US Classic? Autumn Classic? Are US ladies invited to Ondrej Nepela?

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ondrej Nepela is not an invitational event---it's a Challenger. Many of the early fall events are Challengers. Countries who want to be represented at Challenger events select the skaters to be sent. USFS usually bases selection for Challenger events on placement at Nationals plus performance in summer events or individual monitoring. It is usual also for some GP-bound skaters to do an early Challenger event as a prep for their first GP.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
None has a chance at a GP spot this coming season, but is there any chance for Finlandia Trophy or US Classic? Autumn Classic? Are US ladies invited to Ondrej Nepela?

As chuckm implies above, it will probably depend on how they do in club competitions during the summer.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Last year, the US used 19 CS spots for Ladies (if I counted right). I believe Angela Wang, Courtney Hicks, and Caroline Zhang were the only ones who got two spots.

US Classic: Mirai, Karen, Mariah, Paige Rydberg
Lombardia: Bradie, Amber Glenn
Autumn Classic: Courtney, Olivia Shilling, Megan Wessenberg
Ondrej Nepela: Caroline, Gracie (not replaced)
Finlandia: Polina, Angela
Warsaw: Courtney
Tallinn: Angela, Caroline
Golden Spin: Starr Andrews, Emmy Ma, Hannah Miller

It's hard to know how many spots are 'open' without knowing for sure who's planning on competing next season. But since none of those girls have strong Nationals results, they'd probably want good summer scores.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
I think the top contenders for our challenger spots are:
Amber Glenn
Courtney Hicks
Caroline Zhang
Emmy Ma
Starr Andrews (might also get the SA host spot considering high result at Nationals)
Angela Wang (below Starr at nationals but also might get host spot instead of Starr)

and our top GP contenders are:
Bradie Tennell
Mirai Nagasu
Mariah Bell
Karen Chen
*Ashley Wagner* if she competes
possibly Starr Andrews
possibly Ting Cui

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Does Caroline Zhang still plan to compete? I was under the impression that both she and Grant were retiring after this past season.

tosca

On the Ice
I hate to bring up the past, (and at least it is not the Ashley x Mirai 2014 convo) but Shin Amano really unfairly called Worlds. Bradie definitely did not deserve a carrot and Mirai only deserved 1 on her 3Lz.

Sorry - I just rewatched group 3 and got angry....:slink:

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
Hopefully a lot of the US ladies will do summer competitions. I want to see them battle it out for a Skate America spot, if the federation doesn’t fill it right away. And many need to prove themselves.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Some results from 2018 Skate Dallas (Apr 26 - 29) have been published.

*FS* scores are available from http://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/ed1194_53376129ab5244f38dbe1f0b7038d6a3.pdf.
(No SP results are on the page.)

Senior Ladies FS

1 Hanna Harrell, Dallas FSC 113.80
2 Ashley Lin, Dallas FSC 109.77
3 Paige Rydberg, Broadmoor SC 80.11

W Amber Glenn, Dallas FSC​

Junior Ladies FS

1 Wren Warne-Jacobsen, St. Paul FSC 97.47
2 Jessica Lin, Dallas FSC 85.99
3 Akane Eguchi, Dallas FSC 75.55
4 Maryn Pierce, Dallas FSC 73.32
5 Nikolett Albrechtovics, Broadmoor SC 72.99
6 Mandy Chiang, All Year FSC 71.93
7 Jamie Hathaway, Dallas FSC 58.77
8 Rozina Taguchi, Dallas FSC 58.19
9 Katherine Nguyen, Dallas FSC 56.86
10 Bow Bagley, El Paso FSC 56.27
11 Esmie Otter, Dallas FSC 51.93
12 Kelly Arnett, Broadmoor SC 43.33

W Olivia Jaschke, Memorial FSC Of Houston
W Stephanie Ciarochi, Dallas FSC​

Christina Gao :luv17: was one of the familiar faces who attended the Figure Skating in Harlem gala on May 1:

IN's photo gallery shows some of the young student-athletes from FSH.
Also Michelle Kwan, Timothy Goebel, Nathan Chen, Meryl Davis, Shibutanis, Emily and Sarah Hughes, Paul Wylie, Karen Chen.

I know that this event already has been mentioned elsewhere on GS.
Just adding more photo links here.

IN's gallery re Week 1 show of DWTS has photos of Mirai with partner Alan; and Adam with partner Jenna. (And one other couple.)

bubblecherry

Final Flight
I think Mirai is retiring. I believe that after the Olympics when she said she wanted to do another season or 2 that she was being honest but her mind has changed.

I was listening to a podcast and she said she still hadn't decided and would make her decision after DWTS but she was also talking about looking into other opportunities.

I'd like to see her compete for one more season when she's still in her best shape and the advanced juniors haven't moved up yet. But, if she thinks it's her time to go then I hope she has other opportunities that'll work with her too!

princessalica

Final Flight
I'd love to see if the experience of dancing with the stars might help her with the artistic side of skating. I wish she'd stick around for one more go.

andromache

Record Breaker
Mirai seems to be in the best shape of her life and has the potential to truly improve her skating from last season (as opposed to many other skaters on the retirement bubble, who have hit their ceiling). If she's lost her motivation I will be seriously bummed.