Thread: 2018-19 U.S. Ladies' figure skating

Bona Fide Member

3 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8rgurl View Post
    How does one get into the ISP list?
    A few different ways. Place well at US Nationals. Normally the top 12 will be in the ISP. Score well in a qualifying round. I think the unsaid minimum is around 160. Finally, do very well at a major club competition: Glacier Falls, Broadmoor, Skate Detroit, and Philly Champs. For novices and juniors, placing well at US Novice and Junior Challenge. Any of these will get you a spot on Philly International or a spot at US International Classic. To get a International Challenger, you need to score higher than 170. To get the TBA spot at SA, you should be the highest scoring senior and do well at one of the four club competitions I named.

This I will be tricky for Gracie but doable. If she can kick off the season well like Bradie did with a score of 188, follow that up with a few more wins with the same score and score well at a on the major club competitions, she'll be placed at Philly International. If she does well there, she'll be given SA.

On the Ice

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by skylark View Post
    You called it, kwanatic! I actually thought Vincent was trying to let her fans down gently a few days ago when he was already talking about next season, or maybe he said next year.

That's the one thing that I think we could be sure of ... Gracie would've been welcomed, lovingly applauded and supported by US nationals audiences. But they had to weigh that against Gracie's own mental health. If she had gone, and performed quite a bit less than what she expected of herself, it might have been several steps back. This way, she can build on her confidence and know in her heart that she's going forward.

It must have been a very difficult decision. Good for Gracie for choosing what's right for her.

Ooh, that is very good. I'm going to remember that. I guess I'm out of the loop; I'd never heard it said just that way.

I've also heard that it takes ten statements of positive reinforcement to overcome the effect of one negative remark. But somehow the "21 hours" statement makes it more visceral.
    It was from an article I read that stated that most posters of negative comments or reviews expect a response within 2 hours but it takes 21 hours to recover. I'll try to find the original article. I'm sure it's not 100% scientific but it stuck in my mind and from my experience seems about right. I have a hard time dealing with customer complaints effectively because a negative review hits me personally.

On the Ice

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by moonvine View Post
    She has had an almost total social media blackout since Rostelecom and before Rostelecom as well. At least on Twitter. I don't follow IG much.
    I feel like she has been "gone" from social media for quite sometime with the occasionally flurry of tweets being the rare exception.

It must be hard for skaters to transition from having social media that used to be truly social in the way us mere mortals use it for personal use to having it become a hybrid of business and fanpage.

Medalist

1 Not allowed!
    i don't understand all the negativity towards Vincent's posts, especially his last one on Gracie. i've seen so much of this on instagram and I don't see anything from him other than support towards her...i don't understand where people are pulling all these assumptions and judgments from

Bona Fide Member

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by frida80 View Post
    A few different ways. Place well at US Nationals. Normally the top 12 will be in the ISP. Score well in a qualifying round. I think the unsaid minimum is around 160. Finally, do very well at a major club competition: Glacier Falls, Broadmoor, Skate Detroit, and Philly Champs. For novices and juniors, placing well at US Novice and Junior Challenge. Any of these will get you a spot on Philly International or a spot at US International Classic. To get a International Challenger, you need to score higher than 170. To get the TBA spot at SA, you should be the highest scoring senior and do well at one of the four club competitions I named.

This I will be tricky for Gracie but doable. If she can kick off the season well like Bradie did with a score of 188, follow that up with a few more wins with the same score and score well at a on the major club competitions, she'll be placed at Philly International. If she does well there, she'll be given SA.
    Thanks for posting this. I didn't realize the process for selecting the SA host pick was so specific, but I'm glad it is merit-based.

GS Supporter

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by el henry View Post
    I don’t find Vincent’s ETA: Restencourt tone that bad? He has been working in the USA for at least five years now, with American students, and I have heard an interview with him; he is conversant in English.

I love that he is upfront, positive, and taking on those who criticize Gracie

Of course, Jason fans were accustomed to Coach Vincent postings back in the day
    It's one thing for a foreign-born person to SPEAK English, but quite a different thing to WRITE in English. I have worked with people who spoke English with quite a degree of fluency, but that fluency wasn't there in their writing. Often it was because what is normal in conversation doesn't translate over to business writing.

Bona Fide Member

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    It's one thing for a foreign-born person to SPEAK English, but quite a different thing to WRITE in English. I have worked with people who spoke English with quite a degree of fluency, but that fluency wasn't there in their writing. Often it was because what is normal in conversation doesn't translate over to business writing.
    This is completely true. I can speak basic Russian and I can understand it as well. However, writing in Russian is very difficult which is why I never do it. I always give non native English writers the benefit of the doubt. As skating fans, I think we all have good intentions.

Medalist

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mrrice View Post
    This is completely true. I can speak basic Russian and I can understand it as well. However, writing in Russian is very difficult which is why I never do it. I always give non native English writers the benefit of the doubt. As skating fans, I think we all have good intentions.
    I (sort of) speak Spanish. Got a BA in Spanish more years ago than I care to admit. It's much easier to read. Not very easy to write.

Fangirl of men’s spirals and split jumps el henry's Avatar

1 Not allowed!
    Vincent has been posting in English for at least five years now. (maybe longer I haven’t followed his entire career in the states) Since I was ETA: [almost fluent, personally I think it extraordinarily difficult to achieve fluency in non native languages ]in French back in the day (I certainly claim that no longer) I’m pretty impressed by his language skills. And maybe I’m just automatically translating in my head.

Since we now know Gracies’s plans, it’s probably less important.
    Last edited by el henry; 01-11-2019 at 11:11 AM.

On the Ice

1 Not allowed!
    Just wanted to say that Mirai on her Instagram said that she didn’t do the Grand Prix or Nationals this season because of the surgery.

I thought it was because she was basically done with competitive skating. Glad to see that that isn’t the case and that she may not be done just yet!!!!

Bona Fide Member

1 Not allowed!
    I hope to see Mirai and Gracie skate in some shows. It would be fun to see such two accomplished champions! You have to admire their hardwork and Mirai's family story is so riveting. THe hard work. There are a few similarities to Michelle Kwan though obvious not the same medal success.

GS Supporter

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by rlopen View Post
    Just wanted to say that Mirai on her Instagram said that she didn’t do the Grand Prix or Nationals this season because of the surgery.

I thought it was because she was basically done with competitive skating. Glad to see that that isn’t the case and that she may not be done just yet!!!!
    It's tricky to compete again after surgery for a torn labrum. Ask Alissa Czisny---she came back to compete, tore the labrum again and had to have a second surgery. After that, she could only skate in shows.

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset skylark's Avatar

3 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by tothepointe View Post
    It was from an article I read that stated that most posters of negative comments or reviews expect a response within 2 hours but it takes 21 hours to recover. I'll try to find the original article. I'm sure it's not 100% scientific but it stuck in my mind and from my experience seems about right. I have a hard time dealing with customer complaints effectively because a negative review hits me personally.
    I completely agree. For so many years, the response has often been, "get a thick skin" or "don't take it personally" or even "Grow Up."

But I think the pendulum is swinging back. Human beings, being persons, take things personally to one degree or another, varying by the individual.

I'm interested that the article framed it as a brain thing, not the emotions. If you find it, I'd like a link.

(sort of)

On the Ice

1 Not allowed!
    That depends though. Plenty of native English speakers can't write for (censored). Often it means they don't read enough.

Speaking skills come from listening and speaking practice (like for kids); writing skills start with reading. It's entirely possible to learn one but not the other.

4 Not allowed!
    So Mirai has finally clarified that she had surgery September 25, 2018:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BshXIG-l...d=5dxu9wsmyfp5

avatar credit: @miyan5605 ice coverage's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
    Angela Wang has announced her withdrawal from Nats "due to illness and injury."

Tweet re Mariah Bell's pre-Nats media call:

Includes a mention of possible off-season work on triple axel.

Tripping on the Podium

3 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ice coverage View Post
    Angela Wang has announced her withdrawal from Nats "due to illness and injury."

Tweet re Mariah Bell's pre-Nats media call:

Includes a mention of possible off-season work on triple axel.
    Really sad about Angela. Unsure about where she could go from here.

Headscratching a bit about triple axel talk from Mariah right now, although this feels like typical media call puffing. Consistent triple-triples should really be the priority.

GS Supporter

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by theharleyquinn View Post
    Really sad about Angela. Unsure about where she could go from here.

Headscratching a bit about triple axel talk from Mariah right now, although this feels like typical media call puffing. Consistent triple-triples should really be the priority.
    Sad to hear about Angela - hope she can get healthy soon. Hope her new training environment is working out.

I wonder if we'll get any more withdrawal announcements over the next couple of weeks. I hope not!

On the Ice

0 Not allowed!
    mariah doesn’t need two triple triple combinations under her belt before she starts working on a triple axel. Mirai did it with many underotated jumps.

Bona Fide Member

1 Not allowed!
    I wish Gracie had gone and done a double jumps program, maybe with at least one triple.

Page 213 of 291 FirstFirst ... 113163203204205206207208209210211212213214215216217218219220221222223263 ... LastLast