2018-19 U.S. Ladies' figure skating | Page 55 | Golden Skate

2018-19 U.S. Ladies' figure skating

frida80

Record Breaker
I guess we had more time last year with the later schedule.

I think would still go with Amber. Had she not competed this weekend, most of us would say "send Amber" so maybe we still should. Maybe she got her jitters out at this comp.

I’m pretty worry sure that’s wha they’ll do. Amber was 7th at nationals, Still has one of the highest summer scores, and can maybe be coached into better scores. It’s their best choice.

But this begs the question of why they don’t make a more formal selection for the SA spot. If more people knew about it they’d probably be ready to fight for it and have higher score.

andromache

Record Breaker
But this begs the question of why they don’t make a more formal selection for the SA spot. If more people knew about it they’d probably be ready to fight for it and have higher score.

I'm pretty sure all the ladies are aware that the SA spot is an option for them if they perform well this summer and impress USFS. I don't think a formal process or official announcement is necessary.

At this point, I like Tavi's idea of giving it to Courtney, Angela, or Gracie - whichever one does best at Champs Camp. Heck, have a private skate-off between those three and give it to whoever fights the hardest for it. (I wouldn't be surprised if Gracie doesn't want it though and would prefer more preparation time for Russia. Plus, given how private Gracie has been about her comeback, the additional press and attention she'd face at a home competition might not be ideal for her first return to competition.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm pretty sure Gracie wouldn't want the pressure of Skate America if she's not as far along in her training as she feels she needs to be.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
I think I'd give the spot to Katie because of the two head-to-heads. You never know how scores are going to run in different competitions. Amber made a good argument for herself if you combine her high spring score with her first combined mark from the qualifying round at Skate Detroit, but Katie defeated her there during the final round and more significantly got the job done at Philadelphia. Both young women had to know that spot was likely on the line at this competition. I'd go with the one who got the job done under pressure.

princessalica

Final Flight
I think Katie might get a challenger, but when your combined score is around the same level as a great score for a long program, it makes it a little difficult for me to say she absolutely should have it. If Gracie wants it and is ready, yes it could easilly be hers - but maybe as a comeback, it is a good idea to only have one. I'd support either way. I wish Amber was more consistent, because she has a lot of potential. I mean her 7th at Nationals was skating with the flu, so she could have been higher if not for illness. I like Courtney, and Courtney has so much raw strength, and she very well could capitalize on an opening and sneak in for a medal at a GP - Aside from Gracie if she is back in form, Courtney would be the most likely to get a medal. She tends to do her best skating in the Fall anyway. Angela can be a lovely skater, and I can't say that I've seen enough to Megan to judge.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The more that is on the line at a competition, the more Amber seems to freeze up. That was the case at Philadelphia Intl. Amber had done very well at most of the preceding summer comps, but Philadelphia was the one that mattered most---it offered valuable ISU ranking points, and a win could have been the clincher for Amber to get that coveted SA TBD. Instead, she turned in what had to have been the nightmare FS of her life.

DanseMacabre

Final Flight
Country
Iceland
Oh, Amber. She's such a great skater but not a great competitor. I still hope that one day she pulls it all together when it really counts.

FSLover17

On the Ice
Speaking of Bradie's costumes. There is a wonderful designer in the Chicago area who worked with Gracie. I would love to see what she would design for Bradie, although I really liked the costume she wore for the FS last night.
http://www.illuminescentdesign.com/skating

Adding -- the designer of many Japanese costumes is Satomi Ito. Her costumes are stunning. https://www.instagram.com/stm_ito/

I was looking through Satomi and Lisa McKinnon's costumes and they're all really nice. Literally all of my favourite figure skating dresses (Ashley's, Aliona's and Wakaba's are :love:). How much would they roughly cost? They must be quite expensive.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Champ Camp is in 2 weeks right? Any word on Mariah or Karen??? They are among the top US ladies, still.

Mariah has been in Japan for The Ice, but i have not heard anyone say anything about her. Karen was rumored to be at Philly, but didn not appear. One poster said she had her ankle wrapped but that was just gossip.

So we really don't know much, but at least Mariah is apparently skating.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
.... Karen was rumored to be at Philly, but didn not appear. ...

Just wanna be clear:

Before withdrawing, Karen was an official entry at Philadelphia International. It was not merely a rumor that she was entered.
On the sheet posted at the rink for Thursday's official practice, Karen was on the list for Practice Group 2. (She did not appear at official practice.)
Karen's withdrawal then was announced at Thursday's draw for Friday's SP. Not 100% verbatim, but an official said something like, "We have one withdrawal, Karen Chen." (Karen did not appear at the draw.)​

If there was a rumor of a sighting of Karen somewhere in Philadelphia and/or at the competition venue (IceWorks rink in Aston), that is a separate question.
Anecdotally/FWIW, I never heard such a rumor, and I myself never saw her at IceWorks (Wed-Sun) -- but cannot rule out the possibility that she was there (without competing).

Hope that Karen will be in good shape to show her stuff at Champs Camp. :)

ETA:

I was/am very happy and excited for the Philadelphia medalists: Katie, Akari, and Brynne. :yay: :hap85: :dance2:

Hugs to Amber. :ghug:

Glad to see all of them as well as Maxine.​

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
I can’t figure out what Bradie’s music is. But it’s good. 😄
Have the US entries for USClassic been announced? I wonder if they’ll send their top skaters.

skatespin

On the Ice
Omg! Bradie's SP is good! I think this will be a good fit for her.

And WOW that 3 lutz-3 loop combo looked so clean and precise, I'm happy to see she is increasing her technical difficulty. Who would have thought the USA would have a senior lady who is consistent and can jump 3 lutz-3 loop. If she skates cleanly at her Grand Prix assignments she should be a contender to make it to the GP final.

She kind of reminds me of Gracie Gold pre-2016-2017 season (except that Bradie is a better competitor in terms of mental toughness). They have a similar look, good posture, good speed, very clean technically correct jumps and spins. The only thing they could improve on is a bit less stiffness and more connection to music.

frida80

Record Breaker
Omg! Bradie's SP is good! I think this will be a good fit for her.

And WOW that 3 lutz-3 loop combo looked so clean and precise, I'm happy to see she is increasing her technical difficulty. Who would have thought the USA would have a senior lady who is consistent and can jump 3 lutz-3 loop. If she skates cleanly at her Grand Prix assignments she should be a contender to make it to the GP final.

She kind of reminds me of Gracie Gold pre-2016-2017 season (except that Bradie is a better competitor in terms of mental toughness). They have a similar look, good posture, good speed, very clean technically correct jumps and spins. The only thing they could improve on is a bit less stiffness and more connection to music.

Tara is going to love her. None US lady has landed a +3Lo combo in ages.