NHK Trophy - Results - Men's Free Skate - LIVE!!!!!!! | Page 2 | Golden Skate

NHK Trophy - Results - Men's Free Skate - LIVE!!!!!!!

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
Oops! I was looking at Li's FS placement. He did, in fact, place 5th overall. Oh, well. Still, an excellent effort.

nicole_l

Final Flight
Takeshi Honda's an amazing skater and it's a shame that he was injured last season and hasn't been skating great this season.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Thanks SG518! Great job and very easy to understand your reports :agree: . Congratulations to Johnny, Tim, and Frederic. :cry: Takeshi and Mike. Was this a scoring event for any of the medalists?

It appears that Johnny is the solid winner with scores higher in every sector of the scoring. I was happy to see Tim hanging in there.

Unfortunately, I think this was not Johnny's scoring event. He still has France (think Joubert) and Russia (think Plushenko and Griazev).

Sailor: thanks for the run through, but time difference I couldn't follow it live. Please continue this though, I do appreciate it.

Joe

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
WOW, congratulations to Johnny Weir!!!

Minam at FSUniverse

http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=18401&perpage=15&pagenumber=1

describes Weir´s skating in gala e.g. by these words: " It's like music notes wearing skates." It is excellenty put, in my opinion...

Joesitz said:
Unfortunately, I think this was not Johnny's scoring event. He still has France (think Joubert) and Russia (think Plushenko and Griazev).
Joe

In France Johnny competes against Joubert, Sandhu and Goebel, in Russia against Plushenko AND Joubert. I don´t think Griazev (not among top ten in Dortmund) who has been injured this fall, is needing any "thinking", LOL, but of course I could be wrong....

Marjaana

Last edited:
Great set of posts, SailorG. Are you there? I love live reporting.

Unfortunately, this competition came on past my bedtime, so I'm just now reading about it, LOL. Excellent work, even so.

Mathman:)

Antilles

Medalist
Nice for Johnny. He won by a sizeable margin. Seems like Weiss had a meltdown. Do skaters have to assign their scoring events before they see the other competitors? This one seemed like it would be easier competition for Johnny than his next two. He may end up with the same luck T&M had for a couple of years. They kept picking the wrong events for scoring.

mike79

On the Ice
If Weir is getting marks like that without a quad people had better watch out.Congrats to him!

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
WOW! Weir has the highest SP (74.05), FS (146. 20) AND combined score (220.25) yet in the GP, with NO quad. Sandhu's FS score with a quad combo at Skate Canada was the closest (144.0).

What Weir has over Eman is TWO CLEAN performances. Sandhu was 7th in the SP at SC with an anemic 60.17 score.

Unfortunately, Weir's score won't count, since this was his non-scoring event. Personally, I think Weir SHOULD have gone ahead and tried the quad in his NHK FS. If he had failed on it, he would probably have finished 2nd to Goebel, but this was the event to try it. It will cost him a lot more to try and fail at LeBomp, where he faces Joubert, Sandhu and Goebel and where he MUST medal to make the GPF, or at Cup of Russia, where he faces both Joubert and Plushenko.

Hikaru

Final Flight
has anybody read the judges detail score (with the elements and stuff)?? I'm reading it, but there are some things I don't understand, and I was hoping that if any of you did, you could explain them to me :)

1. On the executed element, when they write something like 3A+3T, is that a combination jump?

2. When they write something like 3A+3T+3LO, is that a combination jump?

3. What does it mean when they write this (is it a jump sequence or a jump combination, or is it something else):

a) 3S+2T+SEQ
b) 3Lz+COMBO

4) Aside from the difference of the jumps, of course, what is the difference between 3Lz+COMBO and 3A+3T+3LO? Are those two jump combinations?

BittyBug

On the Ice
Hikaru said:
has anybody read the judges detail score (with the elements and stuff)?? I'm reading it, but there are some things I don't understand, and I was hoping that if any of you did, you could explain them to me :)

1. On the executed element, when they write something like 3A+3T, is that a combination jump?

2. When they write something like 3A+3T+3LO, is that a combination jump?
Yes to both.
Hikaru said:
3. What does it mean when they write this (is it a jump sequence or a jump combination, or is it something else):

a) 3S+2T+SEQ
b) 3Lz+COMBO
The first one means that it was a sequence (i.e., step in between the two jumps). The second one means that it was supposed to be a combination, but the 2nd jump was omitted.
Hikaru said:
4) Aside from the difference of the jumps, of course, what is the difference between 3Lz+COMBO and 3A+3T+3LO? Are those two jump combinations?
See previous responses. The 3lz in your 1st example was supposed to be done in combination, but wasn't. The 2nd example is a combination.

SailorGalaxia518

Record Breaker
Thank you all for your comments. I will be posting live at every free skate including free dance unless I have to work and then I will be just posting the results. I am not in Japan although if I were I would be writing alot more. I am getting this of the ISU result page as they come up. I am doing this so that after or during the competition we could post comments. That is why I posted the links to the results page. I am looking forward to the Cup of China competition. Also, I want to make note that I live in the U.S. an the eastern side so my time zone is EST. The competition didn't start till around 12:00 - 12:30am EST. If you want to adjust your time zone so that it will coincide with the Eastern time zone you can join me live. Again thank you and I will meet you all during the Cup of China competition.

Note: If you live in the U.S. don't forget that Monday, 11/8 at 9:00pm EST on ESPN, it will have coverage of Skate Canada :)

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
If Weir is getting marks like that without a quad people had better watch out.Congrats to him!

So glad to hear this. I love his skating and high marks without a quad, even better yet!! 42

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
BittyBug said:
The first one means that it was a sequence (i.e., step in between the two jumps). The second one means that it was supposed to be a combination, but the 2nd jump was omitted.
Let me add to this the explanation of why this is needed in the system that is not supposed to look at what was intended but only at what was actually executed. The key is in the following quote from ISU: Repetitions. Of all the triple and quadruple jumps only two (2) can be repeated and these repetitions must be in either a jumpcombination or in a jump sequence. A repeated triple or quadruple solo jump, not included into a jump combination or jump sequence, will be considered as a part of a not successfully executed jump combination and counted as a jump combination with only one jump executed.

In other words, "3Lz+COMBO" probably means that the skater already did a triple lutz, but then did another one without combo. The only way to count this is to say it was a part of an un-executed combination.

Thanks for the refrsher,Ptichka.

A strange rule, but a good one I think. Otherwise, if a skater planned, say a 3Lutz/2toe or 3Lutz/3toe combo and a solo 3Lutz later (which most of the ladies do), and if they missed their first combo attempt and just did the first jump, they would be hung out to dry.

MM

Mathman said:
Thanks for the refrsher,Ptichka.

A strange rule, but a good one I think. Otherwise, if a skater planned, say a 3Lutz/2toe or 3Lutz/3toe combo and a solo 3Lutz later (which most of the ladies do), and if they missed their first combo attempt and just did the first jump, they would be hung out to dry.MM

Too bad, I say. If you give a list to the caller and you miss one of the elements on the list then that's an error, imo. Can you imagine a quarter back planning to do a forward pass but got tackled and couldn't?

Joe

Yes, but if a quarterback gets tackled in the first quarter the rules should not prevent him from getting up and trying to get a completion in the fourth quarter. The referees don't say, you already tried that, so you can't try it again.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
If you give a list to the caller and you miss one of the elements on the list then that's an error, imo.Joe
There is no penalty in FS for changing your program. What was planned ahead of time is irrelevant.

Personally, I think this makes it too complicated (remember how we all tried to figure out this rule when Sasha got credited with that Ghost Combo?). This is how I would put it:
A repeated triple or quadruple solo jump, not included into a jump combination or jump sequence, will get 66% of its regular value. If the jump if repeated again, even in combination or sequence, it will not be counted.