2018-2019 State of Japanese Men's Skating | Page 25 | Golden Skate

2018-2019 State of Japanese Men's Skating

ankifeather

Final Flight
Holy moly :eeking:

But why not? Japanese ice dance needs all the talent it can get.

Oh this is TCC coaches idea. I was at Helsinki GP and came across Ghislain chatting to someone. He basically said that if you don't have quads by the time you are 18, the likelihood of you getting it is slim. Hence they are persuading Shingo to do dance instead given there is no one for Japan, despite Japanese have such good skating skills, and that they already have a good partner in mind. Looks like they have persuaded him. Some other interesting tidbits includes he was surprised by how advanced the male single training system is in Japan. He was invited to some training camp for kids there, and arrived expecting to teach 1A and was told by the kids they are already learning 3A. And he also was praising how hard working Yuzu is, often to the point they have to tell him to stop.

Casual

On the Ice

yude

Record Breaker
What did he mean, both? He'll do both at the same time? (Or switch to dance later in the year?)

Yes, he says he will do both at the same time, tagging "two way player(skater)". (I am guessing he is going to choose one in future though.)

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
Does anyone know who Sora Tarumi is? I can't read much Japanese, so I'm in the dark. I've never heard of him. He's participating in the Challenge Cup, and I believe a quick google search showed he's in Novice? I recall seeing a 'Sora' in some photos of Howa center's banner gallery, does he skate in that club?

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Sora is the novice A champion i think.
Nice to give Shun Sato an international assignement.

cohkaix

FS data keeper
Medalist
Does anyone know who Sora Tarumi is? I can't read much Japanese, so I'm in the dark. I've never heard of him. He's participating in the Challenge Cup, and I believe a quick google search showed he's in Novice? I recall seeing a 'Sora' in some photos of Howa center's banner gallery, does he skate in that club?

Sora Tarumi is the National NvA Champion of this season. No he doesn't train in Howa. His home rink is 'Papio' skating club in Fukuoka (so one of the rarely-seen winners from Kyushu).

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
Just thought I'd update this thread:

Shoma Uno became the 2019 Four Continents Champion, with a total of 289.12!

Keiji Tanaka came 7th overall and Kazuki Tomono finished 12th, as summarised beautifully here (credit to @mtnharuki)

~ Shoma and Keiji will be preparing (& hopefully resting) for Worlds next month, whilst Kazuki's next competition will be the Winter Universiade.

Koshiro Shimada won the 2019 Bavarian Open with a total of 210.80 (Senior Men)!

Yuto Kishina finished in 4th place overall.

~ Koshiro will be heading to Junior Worlds in early March.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Congrats to Uno for finally winning the Four Continent title - and he now holds the highest FS score under the new system. :clap:

Keiji should also get credit too for landing two quads and two triple axels in the FS. :agree:

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
With Japanese boys' results at JWC, Japan earned only 6 JGP spots and 2 spots for worlds. Well, i hope things will go well for Eastern skaters at those closed test skates next season.

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
Will any of the current juniors be moving up to seniors?
I don't think any of them age out this year.

AQFS

On the Ice
Will any of the current juniors be moving up to seniors?
I don't think any of them age out this year.

As @IdontKnow said, Koshiro is now confirmed to go senior next year (good luck to him)

But I am also wondering if Mitsuki Sumoto will move up too??

I would actually think it might be a good thing to move him up to give more chances to the up and coming juniors especially with few JGP spots to distribute.

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
As @IdontKnow said, Koshiro is now confirmed to go senior next year (good luck to him)

I would actually think it might be a good thing to move him up to give more chances to the up and coming juniors especially with few JGP spots to distribute.

You make a good point. He didn't have the best junior season this year though (has he competed after junior nationals?) It is definitely tough up in seniors.

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker

You make a good point. He didn't have the best junior season this year though (has he competed after junior nationals?)

Mitsuki competed in the Inter High School Championships at the end of January, where he placed 3rd with a total of 207.31. So he should be healthy by now. I think I read a while ago that he was planning to stay in juniors. I am guessing Sena will want to turn senior though, especially if Coupe du Printemps goes well for him (which is likely, barring meltdown).