NHK Trophy - Event Recap - Day 4 | Golden Skate

NHK Trophy - Event Recap - Day 4

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Interesting. I am surprised Frank Carroll did not drill Tim on what's allowed and not under CoP -- the un-counted combination is a real shame. You'd think after Plushy loosing GPF title last year they'd be more careful! I'm not saying Tim would have won otherwise (Johnny had an advantage in all components), I'm just surprised.

I bet he threw that last one in on the spur of the moment without thinking. His first combo was probably supposed to be 4T/3T, and when he only did 4T -- hop --2T maybe he thought he had to do something more to make up ground.

I'm not completely sure what the point of this rule is, anyway. It seems like you should still get credit for the first two jumps of the combo, even if the third jump is illegal.

I remember Michelle always planned two different endings for her programs. One with an extra 3T at the end in case she missed her 3T/3T earlier, and the other with maybe a split jump and moves in the field in case she hit the combo.

Mathman

Last edited:

choreo123

Spectator
2nd combo

That is correct Mathman. Credit would be given for the first two jumps of the combo under NJS. :rock:

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Yah, how they figure out what elements to throw away needs a lot of work. Remember last year one of ladies (Onda?) did not get two jumps counted because since she did too many steps between jumps in a combo they were considered two separate jumps; then, he 7th jump (which was originally supposed to be 6th) did not count because by that time she had done maximum jumps, but no axel; then, however, the axel she did did not count because it was the 8th jump (including the one that did not count). I always felt this was unfair, since it first penalized her by not counting the jump she performed, and then penalized her again by actually counting it. This is similar. It does worry me that those little things most likely won't get ironed out for Turin.