Page 1 of 35 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 686

Thread: 2018-19 Russian Men's figure skating

  1. #1
    Medalist Grin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    1,601

    1 Not allowed!

    RUS 2018-19 Russian Men's figure skating

    2018-19 State of Russian Men's skating

    Russia has 3 spots for Worlds

  2. #2
    Medalist Grin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    1,601

    0 Not allowed!
    Kovtun moves from Goncharenko to Buyanova
    https://www.sports.ru/figure-skating/1061939140.html

  3. #3
    All Hail Empress Eteri Spirals for Miles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    7,180
    Country: United States of America

    0 Not allowed!
    Is Erokhov going senior?

  4. #4
    Rinkside yinchulin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    16
    Country: Afghanistan

    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Grin View Post
    Kovtun moves from Goncharenko to Buyanova
    https://www.sports.ru/figure-skating/1061939140.html
    Does Maxim still want to keep going?!

  5. #5
    Medalist Grin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    1,601

    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by yinchulin View Post
    Does Maxim still want to keep going?!
    Yes, but will he be able to do it?

  6. #6
    GS Supporter lavenderblossom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    2,924
    Country: United Kingdom

    1 Not allowed!
    Wasn't Kovtun with Buyanova before?

    Quote Originally Posted by Spirals for Miles View Post
    Is Erokhov going senior?
    Yes, he said he was in his post-JW interview here https://goldenskate.com/2018/03/jw-men-2/

    Well, what do people think of the current juniors? Anyone promising?

  7. #7
    Medalist
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    1,910

    1 Not allowed!
    Erokhov is certainly a good skater, and he can develop. And from the current crop of juniors, I'm watching to see how many of them will get the quads.

  8. #8
    Medalist Grin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    1,601

    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by lavenderblossom View Post
    Wasn't Kovtun with Buyanova before?



    Yes, he said he was in his post-JW interview here https://goldenskate.com/2018/03/jw-men-2/

    Well, what do people think of the current juniors? Anyone promising?
    He was, so he is returning home

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by coldblueeyes View Post
    Erokhov is certainly a good skater, and he can develop. And from the current crop of juniors, I'm watching to see how many of them will get the quads.
    He had injuries. They can limit his development

  9. #9
    All Hail Empress Eteri Spirals for Miles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    7,180
    Country: United States of America

    5 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by coldblueeyes View Post
    Erokhov is certainly a good skater, and he can develop. And from the current crop of juniors, I'm watching to see how many of them will get the quads.
    I'm most interested right now in Samsonov and Gumennik after watching Elder Age
    3A-3Lo is very rare and if that becomes Gumennik's signature combo, he could do quite well next year

  10. #10
    Tripping on the Podium vesperalvioletta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    686
    Country: United States of America

    4 Not allowed!
    I'm hopeful that Samoilov will be able to pull things together next season since he's now aged out of juniors. I know he has a 4S, 4T, and 4Lz, all of which look solid in practice videos. It's just a matter of whether or not he'll actually be able to perform under the pressure of competition.

  11. #11
    Medalist Grin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    1,601

    2 Not allowed!
    I hope Samarin will improve his ss and consistency.

  12. #12
    Rinkside yinchulin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    16
    Country: Afghanistan

    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Grin View Post
    I hope Samarin will improve his ss and consistency.
    I wouldn't hope so…I just want all Russian men to have nice choreography and nice steps connecting elements…is that too much to ask for?

  13. #13
    #teamtutberidze TheBallerina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    1,710

    2 Not allowed!
    “Right now nobody (in the Men’s) in Russia shows consistent skating. I think that our senior guys are competitive, but they are not consistent enough.”

    Here Erokhov really has a point...

    From the juniors, I really like Rukhin (he is in Tutberidze's group); he skates beautiful, for me his programs are mesmerizing, but he still needs to improve his technical elements. Anyway there's a lot of room to improve for him

  14. #14
    Rinkside yinchulin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    16
    Country: Afghanistan

    4 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBallerina View Post
    “Right now nobody (in the Men’s) in Russia shows consistent skating. I think that our senior guys are competitive, but they are not consistent enough.”

    Here Erokhov really has a point...

    From the juniors, I really like Rukhin (he is in Tutberidze's group); he skates beautiful, for me his programs are mesmerizing, but he still needs to improve his technical elements. Anyway there's a lot of room to improve for him
    Artur Danielian also said the same thing. I think whole Russian will give the same answer that men just need to work harder to improve themselves…

  15. #15
    GS Supporter lavenderblossom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    2,924
    Country: United Kingdom

    5 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBallerina View Post
    “Right now nobody (in the Men’s) in Russia shows consistent skating. I think that our senior guys are competitive, but they are not consistent enough.”

    Here Erokhov really has a point...

    From the juniors, I really like Rukhin (he is in Tutberidze's group); he skates beautiful, for me his programs are mesmerizing, but he still needs to improve his technical elements. Anyway there's a lot of room to improve for him
    I like Rukhin too, I was a bit afraid he wouldn't get JGP next year because he didn't have a 3A yet but he showed it in his last 2 competitions, which is great.

    My personal hopes for next season (juniors):
    - Makar Ignatov to land the 4T he's been trying. And stop dying halfway through the free skate. And stop randomly losing spins. He has decent packaging, his jumps are decent, his spins are good when he does them, his SS are great, he just needs some polish and to deliver when it matters.
    - Kunitsa and Vetlugin to get 3As over the summer, since they have good skating skills and artistry to fall back on and the tech is the only thing holding them back from getting JGP spots.
    - Artem Kovalev to rotate his 3A.
    - Gumennik to make a successful international debut. He wowed me with that 3A3Lo combo, but currently the one with the most potential is probably Danielian since he is younger and with similar content. Both of them can be inconsistent (hmm, much like many of the Russian men, junior and senior...)
    - Danielian to make a splash on JGP. He's capable of saving a program after making mistakes, which is pretty rare for Russian men standards.
    - Skirda to make a comeback and regain some consistency. Last year he had a lot of troubles because he got so much taller. It would be a shame to let 2 JGP silvers go to waste.

    There are lots of boys around the same level technically, most without 3A and or consistent quads, all competing for JGP spots. Fingers crossed they can push each other to be better.

    As for the seniors, I hope Erokhov can overtake Samarin and get the 3rd spot for next year. Beyond that, que cera, cera. I don't see anyone challenging Mikhail or Dima for their spots on the team. Though I actually really liked Kovtun's SP this year, so if he can get past the issues with his back, best of luck to him.

  16. #16
    Bona Fide Member silverfoxes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    9,387

    1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBallerina View Post
    “Right now nobody (in the Men’s) in Russia shows consistent skating. I think that our senior guys are competitive, but they are not consistent enough.”

    Here Erokhov really has a point...
    Well, Sergei is consistent as any other male skater...is he "nobody"?

  17. #17
    Tripping on the Podium Caustica's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    777

    3 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by lavenderblossom View Post
    I like Rukhin too, I was a bit afraid he wouldn't get JGP next year because he didn't have a 3A yet but he showed it in his last 2 competitions, which is great.

    My personal hopes for next season (juniors):
    - Makar Ignatov to land the 4T he's been trying. And stop dying halfway through the free skate. And stop randomly losing spins. He has decent packaging, his jumps are decent, his spins are good when he does them, his SS are great, he just needs some polish and to deliver when it matters.
    - Kunitsa and Vetlugin to get 3As over the summer, since they have good skating skills and artistry to fall back on and the tech is the only thing holding them back from getting JGP spots.
    - Artem Kovalev to rotate his 3A.
    - Gumennik to make a successful international debut. He wowed me with that 3A3Lo combo, but currently the one with the most potential is probably Danielian since he is younger and with similar content. Both of them can be inconsistent (hmm, much like many of the Russian men, junior and senior...)
    - Danielian to make a splash on JGP. He's capable of saving a program after making mistakes, which is pretty rare for Russian men standards.
    - Skirda to make a comeback and regain some consistency. Last year he had a lot of troubles because he got so much taller. It would be a shame to let 2 JGP silvers go to waste.

    There are lots of boys around the same level technically, most without 3A and or consistent quads, all competing for JGP spots. Fingers crossed they can push each other to be better.

    As for the seniors, I hope Erokhov can overtake Samarin and get the 3rd spot for next year. Beyond that, que cera, cera. I don't see anyone challenging Mikhail or Dima for their spots on the team. Though I actually really liked Kovtun's SP this year, so if he can get past the issues with his back, best of luck to him.
    It would not be Gumennik's international debut - he was already on the JGP last year.

    I personally am pretty excited to see Danielian. Am not too familiar with Russian junior/pre-junior men in general though.

  18. #18
    #teamtutberidze TheBallerina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    1,710

    3 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by silverfoxes View Post
    Well, Sergei is consistent as any other male skater...is he "nobody"?
    I think that by "consistent" Erokhov here meant as "constant". In a figure skating world where, for the men competition and not only, the level is set really high, especially in terms of technical elements (see Nathan Chen or Yuzu with their quads) you really need a strong and constant pallete of elements to be on top. And here I am speaking as a fan of Sergei Voronov and his great skating technique, he has a great personality and somehow makes me involved in his programs, I really love watching him. But what hurts me is that in our days, that is not enough, and without being constant, you can not mantain yourself in the top positions. Sergei had a great program at GPF (just a wobbly 4S but otherwise fine), but at the Russian Nationals he made many mistakes, fall on 4T, 2A insted of 3A etc. and that compromised the next part of his season. (and I was really sad about that)

    And this is not only about Sergei Voronov, is about all russian male figure skaters; they need somehow to find a way to be more constant, because they do have the basics and the proper technique. And hopefully they will. I really hope for Sergei Voronov to make a great comaback next season, as I do for Aliev to be more constant (again this word), and Mikhail too. Also I hope that Erokhov will have a great senior debut

  19. #19
    Medalist Grin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    1,601

    2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by yinchulin View Post
    I wouldn't hope so…I just want all Russian men to have nice choreography and nice steps connecting elements…is that too much to ask for?
    You might have to wait for more juniors turn seniors

  20. #20
    Bona Fide Member silverfoxes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    9,387

    2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBallerina View Post
    I think that by "consistent" Erokhov here meant as "constant". In a figure skating world where, for the men competition and not only, the level is set really high, especially in terms of technical elements (see Nathan Chen or Yuzu with their quads) you really need a strong and constant pallete of elements to be on top. And here I am speaking as a fan of Sergei Voronov and his great skating technique, he has a great personality and somehow makes me involved in his programs, I really love watching him. But what hurts me is that in our days, that is not enough, and without being constant, you can not mantain yourself in the top positions. Sergei had a great program at GPF (just a wobbly 4S but otherwise fine), but at the Russian Nationals he made many mistakes, fall on 4T, 2A insted of 3A etc. and that compromised the next part of his season. (and I was really sad about that)
    And yet Milquetoast Kolyada really only has a 4T, so why do people pretend otherwise? I have yet to see him land a 4Lz more than once internationally and I don't buy that he has a stable 4S for a second. And all the men made massive errors at Russian Nats, but they only held it against certain people. Samarin with his hideous programs and complete lack of decent skating abilty got higher PCS than Sergei.

    Some skaters are more consistent than others. So let's not tar them all with the same brush. Dima and Sergei don't deserve to be lumped together with some others when we talk about lack of consistency.

Page 1 of 35 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •