2018-19 Russian Men's figure skating

Status
Not open for further replies.

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I suppose he's planning on trying to skate at Rostelecom so that he can go to nationals? because he hasn't skated at any cup events, has he?

No he hasn't but I don't want him competing at Rostelecom and possibly injuring himself further just for the sake of competing at nationals :slink: Sigh.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Hanyu would like to have a word with you.

Kolyada is a headcase and Silverfoxes is right when he/she says that Kolyada looks like he's going to the gallows when he skates.

A head case who's still the reigning GPF and World bronze medalist. Just in case some of y'all needed a reminder.

While this was a bad competition for Kolyada, it's still early in the season. And even still, he has the 4th highest total score -- which eclipses all the other Russian men (by 24 or more points).

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
A head case who's still the reigning GPF and World bronze medalist. Just in case some of y'all needed a reminder.

While this was a bad competition for Kolyada, it's still early in the season. And even still, he has the 4th highest total score -- which eclipses all the other Russian men (by 24 or more points).

Seriously the negativity against Kolyada is becoming too much.

Ophelia

Record Breaker

Even broken clocks can be right twice a day.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker

Kolyada has one bad competition - after winning his first 2 events of the season - and the narrative is negative. Meanwhile, other Russian men have so far under-delivered and are getting the benevolent, optimistic treatment.

I guess some broken clocks can't be fixed. :biggrin:

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
Well, it's not like Misha's results are hindering someone else's evolution. He's not holding the door closed for the others to surpass him, in fact, he's given them many a chance. But how many of them have taken that opportunity? At times it feels like some people expect him to save the entire russian school by himself, which says a lot about the state of the men.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Well, it's not like Misha's results are hindering someone else's evolution. He's not holding the door closed for the others to surpass him, in fact, he's given them many a chance. But how many of them have taken that opportunity? At times it feels like some people expect him to save the entire russian school by himself, which says a lot about the state of the men.

He's getting a bit of the treatment that Kovtun got a while ago. Sure, you might not like the skater or the programs or whatever it is, but if nobody else is stepping up, then the guy will remain on top. No need to blame him or disparage him for poor results, when it's not like many of the Russian men are themselves performing better on a consistent basis.

skatenewbie

Medalist
he would make it into podium in CoR for sure. with performance like this his PCS would be 45/90 there. he just need silver, 2+4 is better than 3+3 like Cha.

rachno2

Record Breaker
he would make it into podium in CoR for sure. with performance like this his PCS would be 45/90 there. he just need silver, 2+4 is better than 3+3 like Cha.

But Messing will be there, and I predict he'll take bronze easily (if not silver, depending on Misha's nerves). A bronze would give Messing 24 points, beating Misha's 22. Meanwhile, if Voronov takes silver at NHK, then he will also have 24 points. Brezina has 26, which Misha cannot catch up to. Assuming Nathan, Yuzu, and Shoma podium at their second events (which is next to certain), then all the spots are maxed out. And this isn't even taking into account how Dima Aliev and Deniss Vasiljevs do in their events.

I've resigned myself to Misha not making GPF, unfortunately. Sergei and Dima have good chances, though. It will be interesting to see who comes out on top at NHK. With Boyang not in his best form, I think Dima has a fair shot at silver at IdF, depending on how he's looking.

skatenewbie

Medalist
But Messing will be there, and I predict he'll take bronze easily (if not silver, depending on Misha's nerves). A bronze would give Messing 24 points, beating Misha's 22. Meanwhile, if Voronov takes silver at NHK, then he will also have 24 points. Brezina has 26, which Misha cannot catch up to. Assuming Nathan, Yuzu, and Shoma podium at their second events (which is next to certain), then all the spots are maxed out. And this isn't even taking into account how Dima Aliev and Deniss Vasiljevs do in their events.

I've resigned myself to Misha not making GPF, unfortunately. Sergei and Dima have good chances, though. It will be interesting to see who comes out on top at NHK. With Boyang not in his best form, I think Dima has a fair shot at silver at IdF, depending on how he's looking.
Voronov had more chance being 3rd behind Uno and Aliev in NHK, he's not the most consistent jumper also his PCS will be behind Aliev. With 3+3 he is behind Kolyada if he did have 2+4. well he might miss GPF but he might qualify too. He can be 1st in CoR too if he back in form, let's see

vorravorra

Record Breaker
He's getting a bit of the treatment that Kovtun got a while ago. Sure, you might not like the skater or the programs or whatever it is, but if nobody else is stepping up, then the guy will remain on top. No need to blame him or disparage him for poor results, when it's not like many of the Russian men are themselves performing better on a consistent basis.
With Kovtun he felt a need to maintain this rather grating public persona and was accused of talking big and only being in it for the perks, which did not exactly earn him extra fans. While even those who really don't like Kolyada haven't accused him of this, he doesn't turn people against him through that route at least.

Anyway, Kovtun is finally ready to appear before the public's eyes. (Personally I'll believe it when I see it. Twice, in both programs.)

RobinA

On the Ice

I'll say, I love Kolyada and think he's one of the best men out there if you don't count the jumps. His Carmen is great and suits him perfectly, unlike the unfortunate Elvis (I think it was) program from last year. He's an old style skater - precision over slop and big tricks. In fact, even his falls look precise. He doesn't look like a happy camper, maybe he is a head case. I keep hoping he'll pull a Paul Wylie and FINALLY get it all right at exactly the right time and snag an Olympic medal.

Status
Not open for further replies.