Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 631

Thread: 2018-19 Russian Men's figure skating

  1. #41
    Bona Fide Member LRK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    8,302

    0 Not allowed!

  2. #42
    Bona Fide Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    2,074

    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by RemyRose View Post
    Not completely unnoticed if you lurk on Russian forums or VK. Also rumor has it that Samarin has left CSKA. This one, noone is really buying but time will tell
    Kolyada going to Arutyunyan for the summer is kind of "so what" compared to all other news.

    As for Samarin, I can understand him being kind of bitter at his current coaching team, tbh. But leaving CSKA altogether... and where would he go anyway. It'll be fascinating because it'll show he values other aspects of skating more than money, comfort and politiking on his behalf. I've always found him quite sympathetic as a person.

  3. #43
    Tripping on the Podium
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    773

    0 Not allowed!
    Nice to see that Russia have 3 spot for men at next world!!! Kolyada spot is a lock now, but Aliev wasn't (but he will recieve 2nd highest PCS i think). He's improving in consistency but still not there yet. Samarin/Voronov and our new senior and JWC champion Erokhov could be a threat. Idk how Kovtun look like now, if he get it all together surely he could make into the team.

  4. #44
    Jesus take the wheel! RemyRose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    4,315
    Country: United States of America

    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by vorravorra View Post
    Kolyada going to Arutyunyan for the summer is kind of "so what" compared to all other news.

    As for Samarin, I can understand him being kind of bitter at his current coaching team, tbh. But leaving CSKA altogether... and where would he go anyway. It'll be fascinating because it'll show he values other aspects of skating more than money, comfort and politiking on his behalf. I've always found him quite sympathetic as a person.
    But why would he be bitter at his coaching team? He's the one that didn't land his jumps when it mattered. The Russian judges seemed to give him high PCS marks so he had politics behind him.

    Although that interview with his coach about how there is so many weak men in the world and how she's not going to hold Sasha's hand was odd to say the least

  5. #45
    Bona Fide Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    2,074

    1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by RemyRose View Post
    But why would he be bitter at his coaching team? He's the one that didn't land his jumps when it mattered. The Russian judges seemed to give him high PCS marks so he had politics behind him.

    Although that interview with his coach about how there is so many weak men in the world and how she's not going to hold Sasha's hand was odd to say the least
    During the mid-season he was injured, apparently due to boot problems. Which meant the base for his stamina was not laid, but it certainly didn't look like they used that time to work on choreography and the PCS side of things either. Then his form was forced early in the season with odd layouts with 2-3 quads at the beginning of the FS and then not even 3 combos because he simply ran out of steam and could barely manage solo triples by the end. Which meant he lost major points even with the quads. By the second half of the season his form crashed which suggested previous overtaxing. He went to Japan for the Olympic training camp, the only substitute to do so, and according to his coach she is the one who asked for it. Then he was brought back and skated in the Russian Cup Final virtually straight afterwards, and everybody saw what happened there. Either he hadn't had time to acclimate (then why skate so soon after arriving?), or his that was his actual form by that time, and then I honestly don't know what they had done with him after Euros. It was not a competition with high enough pressure for him to simply fold mentally. And his PCS crashed and burned, which rather showed the Fed was not going to support him no matter what, CSKA or no CSKA.

    On the psychological side, exactly as you mentioned, his coach, TAT and anyone under the sun kept talking about his mental strength, that he is a fighter who never gives up and a real man etc. etc. and can beat everyone at Nats, which I think weighed him down way too much because, let's face it, he is not a new Plushenko, and trying to talk him up as one was never going to be productive. That he is not outwardly emotional does not mean he is made out of steel underneath, and he never asked anyone for that sort of promotion. He is a hard worker and relatively humble, not a new Kovtun any more that he is a new Plushenko.

  6. #46
    Jesus take the wheel! RemyRose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    4,315
    Country: United States of America

    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by vorravorra View Post
    During the mid-season he was injured, apparently due to boot problems. Which meant the base for his stamina was not laid, but it certainly didn't look like they used that time to work on choreography and the PCS side of things either. Then his form was forced early in the season with odd layouts with 2-3 quads at the beginning of the FS and then not even 3 combos because he simply ran out of steam and could barely manage solo triples by the end. Which meant he lost major points even with the quads. By the second half of the season his form crashed which suggested previous overtaxing. He went to Japan for the Olympic training camp, the only substitute to do so, and according to his coach she is the one who asked for it. Then he was brought back and skated in the Russian Cup Final virtually straight afterwards, and everybody saw what happened there. Either he hadn't had time to acclimate (then why skate so soon after arriving?), or his that was his actual form by that time, and then I honestly don't know what they had done with him after Euros. It was not a competition with high enough pressure for him to simply fold mentally. And his PCS crashed and burned, which rather showed the Fed was not going to support him no matter what, CSKA or no CSKA.

    On the psychological side, exactly as you mentioned, his coach, TAT and anyone under the sun kept talking about his mental strength, that he is a fighter who never gives up and a real man etc. etc. and can beat everyone at Nats, which I think weighed him down way too much because, let's face it, he is not a new Plushenko, and trying to talk him up as one was never going to be productive. That he is not outwardly emotional does not mean he is made out of steel underneath, and he never asked anyone for that sort of promotion. He is a hard worker and relatively humble, not a new Kovtun any more that he is a new Plushenko.
    And what do you think about Erohkov? I saw that Daniil is already talking about his chances in Beijing and some people are calling him the great hope for Eteri to succeed in mens. Promotion is high. I hope they don't break him with all of this, I'm not a fan but it will be sad to see.

    Well whatever happens to Sasha, I hope he seriously adds transitions and choreography to his LPs. The last 2 were very empty. I don't know why he even went to Japan. I assumed he just wasn't acclimated by the time the Cup Final rolled around
    and yeah I could see him losing the fed support.

  7. #47
    Bona Fide Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    2,074

    4 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by RemyRose View Post
    And what do you think about Erohkov? I saw that Daniil is already talking about his chances in Beijing and some people are calling him the great hope for Eteri to succeed in mens. Promotion is high. I hope they don't break him with all of this, I'm not a fan but it will be sad to see.

    Well whatever happens to Sasha, I hope he seriously adds transitions and choreography to his LPs. The last 2 were very empty. I don't know why he even went to Japan. I assumed he just wasn't acclimated by the time the Cup Final rolled around
    and yeah I could see him losing the fed support.
    We'll have to see, but so far Erokhov somewhat lacks the 'it' factor. Even Samarin has more personality in his skating. And his jumps are not out of this world. Considering he is the same age as Aliev he is hardly a quad prodigy. He seems to be a good fit for Eteri if any man is because his technique is based on fast rotation and he doesn't seem to require much psychological finesse in handling. But he is constantly down with injuries, although he seems to heal surprisingly quickly, but this healing ability may not last forever.

    Maybe Sasha realised he needs to go someplace else for transitions and choreography. Seriously, CSKA has the best resources of anywhere in Russia, why do they produce men who are so lacking in the PCS department? They've trained Sasha for years, he is the kind to work on whatever task he is given till he drops, I can't see him running off from ballet lessons simply due to boredom. At least Danielyan has PCS potential, let's see what they do with him.

    Of course one thing about transitions is that they require energy to execute, and Sasha barely managed to finish even his empty programs. One of his problems is that he is not a high jumper like Kolyada or a fast rotator like Aliev, he has to force his quads and when the strength isn't there, they turn into an ugly mess and his tech scores plummet, and he'll never have enough PCS to save him.

  8. #48
    Bona Fide Member LadyB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    2,716

    0 Not allowed!
    Artem Frolov is in Florida, together with Sasha Trusova and Diana Davis (Tutberidze). I'm looking forward to seeing him on the ice again.

  9. #49
    Jesus take the wheel! RemyRose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    4,315
    Country: United States of America

    1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by vorravorra View Post
    Maybe Sasha realised he needs to go someplace else for transitions and choreography. Seriously, CSKA has the best resources of anywhere in Russia, why do they produce men who are so lacking in the PCS department? They've trained Sasha for years, he is the kind to work on whatever task he is given till he drops, I can't see him running off from ballet lessons simply due to boredom. At least Danielyan has PCS potential, let's see what they do with him.
    Oh it seems CSKA recently acquired Andrei Kutovoy who had recently moved to Eteri's group not so long ago (guess that didn't work out ). I think he has great PCS potential as well so it will be interesting to see how they develop both Artur and Andrei. So excited

  10. #50
    Bona Fide Member plushyfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    8,734
    Country: Hungary

    1 Not allowed!
    Artem Kovalev moved to Plushenko Academy with Alexandr Volkov. Volkov was a trainer of Sasha Trusova.

    https://rsport.ria.ru/figure_skating...137008068.html

  11. #51
    Jesus take the wheel! RemyRose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    4,315
    Country: United States of America

    0 Not allowed!
    Albena Denkova found Samarin http://ltk-cska.ru/files/photoalbums...26752577-0.jpg
    Going by Gerboldt's instagram, Denkova/Staviski made programs for some students in Sokolovskaya's group (or a program for a particular student )!

  12. #52
    Jesus take the wheel! RemyRose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    4,315
    Country: United States of America

    1 Not allowed!
    Ilia Averbukh will choreograph for D. Aliev
    http://tass.ru/sport/5219205

  13. #53
    Tripping on the Podium Lamente Ariane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    547

    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by RemyRose View Post
    Ilia Averbukh will choreograph for D. Aliev
    http://tass.ru/sport/5219205
    Ughh...

  14. #54
    Tripping on the Podium
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    798
    Country: Poland

    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by RemyRose View Post
    Ilia Averbukh will choreograph for D. Aliev
    http://tass.ru/sport/5219205
    Time for bets what will be the theme of the program: terminal disease, genocide or famine?

  15. #55
    Penalty Box
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    4,538

    0 Not allowed!
    The feeling one has after swallowing a whole glass of orange juice. 1920s Paris style, with a vintage beret.

    And then the drinker finds out he's allergic, of course.

  16. #56
    Jesus take the wheel! RemyRose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    4,315
    Country: United States of America

    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ejnsofi View Post
    Time for bets what will be the theme of the program: terminal disease, genocide or famine?
    Complete with voice overs and pantomiming right? Perhaps Dima will even voice record a little something!

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by chopinskate View Post
    The feeling one has after swallowing a whole glass of orange juice. 1920s Paris style, with a vintage beret.

    And then the drinker finds out he's allergic, of course.

  17. #57
    Bona Fide Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    7,091

    0 Not allowed!
    is Voronov finished? What are the chances Kovtun will regain his progress? They need a skater to take charge but I guess the tech push for quads is making it hard for a consistent champion.

  18. #58
    Jesus take the wheel! RemyRose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    4,315
    Country: United States of America

    0 Not allowed!
    Okay so for Dima, SP will be by Molotov/Glinka and LP by Ilia with Tarasova choosing the music for the free
    https://www.sports.ru/figure-skating/1063380234.html

    So thankfully only one program from Ilia.

  19. #59
    Medalist Grin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    1,581

    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ejnsofi View Post
    Time for bets what will be the theme of the program: terminal disease, genocide or famine?
    At least we'll see some transitions )

  20. #60
    Tripping on the Podium
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    798
    Country: Poland

    6 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by chopinskate View Post
    The feeling one has after swallowing a whole glass of orange juice. 1920s Paris style, with a vintage beret.

    And then the drinker finds out he's allergic, of course.
    My bet is on La Boheme with Dima portraying dying from tuberculosis artist. I expect recorded cough obviously.

Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •