2018-19 Russian Men's figure skating | Page 30 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Russian Men's figure skating

Status
Not open for further replies.

vorravorra

Record Breaker
Did Russia make any changes to the JWC men's team? I'm still seeing Erokhov in the official ISU entry list (which hasn't been updated since 2/15), but his condition seems to be a question mark given RCF.

Regarding the senior team, I really don't know what to say. I don't think Kolyada should go, as he has nothing to gain and everything to lose at this point, and he doesn’t inspire confidence in helping to save the three spots. I wonder how Kovtun and/or Lazukin doing well at Universiade will impact the fed’s decision, if at all.
Kovtun is on the main list already, Lazukin will definitely not help save three spots. Same difference. Aliev was the only viable alternative. The Fed doesn't care who has what to lose and nobody turns down Worlds on their own accord.

rachno2

Record Breaker
Kovtun is on the main list already, Lazukin will definitely not help save three spots. Same difference. Aliev was the only viable alternative. The Fed doesn't care who has what to lose and nobody turns down Worlds on their own accord.

I know you’re right, but I wish for Misha’s sake somebody would make the call to leave him off the team. It can’t be smart in the long-run for their best skater to lose even more confidence, but RusFed doesn’t think in those terms. I suppose Lazukin could skate lights out at Universiade and make a bid, but his international PCS is very low.

Is Kovtun for sure on the team? I thought this was just a provisional list while they make the official decision.

vorravorra

Record Breaker
I know you’re right, but I wish for Misha’s sake somebody would make the call to leave him off the team. It can’t be smart in the long-run for their best skater to lose even more confidence, but RusFed doesn’t seem to care about that. I suppose Lazukin could skate lights out at Universiade and make a bid, but his international PCS is very low.

Is Kovtun for sure on the team? I thought this was just a provisional list while they make the official decision.
Even if they replace Kovtun with Lazukin, they can't replace both Kovtun and Kolyada, so it doesn't matter. If Misha doesn't feel ready and doesn't want to lose more confidence etc. let him withdraw, why should the Fed do it for him? He has his own head on his shoulders, let him use it. And if the Fed cares about anyone in the long run it's Samsonov, certainly not Kolyada, Aliev, Kovtun, Samarin etc.

rachno2

Record Breaker
It’s just my opinion. I don’t think he is in a good place right now with the layout up in the air and his confidence shot from Euros and Tallinn, sorry. We all know he would never WD himself, unless he physically had to.

I know the fed only cares about Samsonov, and that’s why I don’t see the team changing at all from Euros. But I personally wish it would. Kovtun and Samarin at their best can save three spots, while Misha can hit reset and prepare for next season.

malya

On the Ice
I don't know why I'm confident in Misha all of the sudden but I have an irrational feeling he will do fine at worlds. It makes no sense I know :)

Aliev is sadly even more of a trainwreck. Lazukin really improved but he also likes to completely bomb his FS.

The best opinion this season for RusFed is still to sent Misha even if they go for stability in their men :(

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
It would be a mistake to not send Kolyada. Even with the struggles this season he's the reigning World bronze medalist and will still get insanely high PCS (I mean he got 86 PCS with 4 falls), compared to his Russian counterparts. Russia will likely lose the third spot but he can help maintain at least 2 even with average skates on his part.

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
I think keeping two spots is already a great result for the men--when the ladies run the chance of even losing their three. Other than that, I wonder what Misha, Kovtun, and Samarin will show up at Worlds. I hope Samarin can deal with the pressure of going into it as a frontrunner.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I think keeping two spots is already a great result for the men--when the ladies run the chance of even losing their three. Other than that, I wonder what Misha, Kovtun, and Samarin will show up at Worlds. I hope Samarin can deal with the pressure of going into it as a frontrunner.

Samarin has been building this season and hasn't had the pressure of being National champ or reigning WBM. I think he'll shine technically. His programs are a bit of a hot mess, but I respect his hard work and fight to make up for it with consistency.

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
Samarin has been building this season and hasn't had the pressure of being National champ or reigning WBM. I think he'll shine technically. His programs are a bit of a hot mess, but I respect his hard work and fight to make up for it with consistency.

Samarin is in good shape, he just doesn't have the best track record under pressure, which is my main worry about him now that he's been promoted to the number one spot. We'll have to see how he goes at the Universiade, and then Worlds. Skating like he did at Euros or better can get him on the top 5, but I don't like how close these two competitions are.

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Actually Voronov not on ISU entry list, the subs are only Lazukin & Aliev

That's because they submitted the list to the ISU before actually coming to a decision on who will go (women's team). Not sure why they named Voronov in their press release. But he is there, so I listed it.

Tutto

Record Breaker
That's because they submitted the list to the ISU before actually coming to a decision on who will go (women's team). Not sure why they named Voronov in their press release. But he is there, so I listed it.

Wasn't criticising just an observation

rachno2

Record Breaker
I like Artur, but I’m kind of surprised he was chosen as the replacement given his recent competitions. I would have liked to see Mozalev given a chance (seriously, not even an alternate spot after winning the Cup Final?). But he is inconsistent, and Artur is a defending medalist, after all. Best of luck to all three of them!

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
What kind of injury Erokhov suffered? Because he lost the entire season (he competed here and there, but his results were far from his best last season).

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I like Artur, but I’m kind of surprised he was chosen as the replacement given his recent competitions. I would have liked to see Mozalev given a chance (seriously, not even an alternate spot after winning the Cup Final?). But he is inconsistent, and Artur is a defending medalist, after all. Best of luck to all three of them!

The list for JrW had to be submitted before the Cup Final. Cup final isn't for determining the JrW team but for funding (inclusion in the national team) for the upcoming season. So they formed the team and reserve based off ranking at JrNats. Had Mozalev not finished 11th but where Murashov/Danielian had, he would have possibly been subbed in.

ETA: Mozalev should be included in the main Junior team for the upcoming season with full funding now that he won the Cup final and a JGP event. So I think this is his prize for winning the cup final.

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
What kind of injury Erokhov suffered? Because he lost the entire season (he competed here and there, but his results were far from his best last season).

IDK. I never read anything other than what he said after Finlandia, which I posted. He said something about his back and that he had an ankle injury (?) but it wasn't enough to stop him from training over the summer. Then I read on one site recently that he had a fracture in his leg but I could never confirm that via his interview, etc. His VK fanpage is generally silent.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker

So they changed the ladies on the Worlds list after the Russian press release; but neither Voronov nor Zagorski & Guerreiro have been added to the official Worlds entry lists. Are they going to be, I wonder? Or did Russia legitimately miss this deadline with regard to these athletes because Voronov and Z&G were not initially named even on the sub lists?

Status
Not open for further replies.