2018-19 Russian Men's figure skating

Status
Not open for further replies.

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So they changed the ladies on the Worlds list after the Russian press release; but neither Voronov nor Zagorski & Guerreiro have been added to the official Worlds entry lists. Are they going to be, I wonder? Or did Russia legitimately miss this deadline with regard to these athletes because Voronov and Z&G were not initially named even on the sub lists?

Well there were only 5 ladies submitted (3 main, 2 reserves). They can swap out one of the main competitors for a sub but they cannot add more subs once their roster has been submitted. They decided to submit a roster that did not include Voronov or Z&G. So Voronov, Z&G cannot be added on the sub list, it's too late.

rachno2

Record Breaker
The list for JrW had to be submitted before the Cup Final. Cup final isn't for determining the JrW team but for funding (inclusion in the national team) for the upcoming season. So they formed the team and reserve based off ranking at JrNats. Had Mozalev not finished 11th but where Murashov/Danielian had, he would have possibly been subbed in.

ETA: Mozalev should be included in the main Junior team for the upcoming season with full funding now that he won the Cup final and a JGP event. So I think this is his prize for winning the cup final.

I see, thanks for clarifying! He had a rough Nationals, so it makes sense

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Well there were only 5 ladies submitted (3 main, 2 reserves). They can swap out one of the main competitors for a sub but they cannot add more subs once their roster has been submitted. They decided to submit a roster that did not include Voronov or Z&G. So Voronov, Z&G cannot be added on the sub list, it's too late.

Wow...is the Russian Figure Skating Fed in some sort of competition for being the biggest jerks in sport federations? Because if so they've got the gold..to not even put Sergei and Tiffani and Jonathan in as subs? What is their problem, seriously?

Ice Dance

Record Breaker

I am curious why the committee bothered to list them publicly, then, as though those athletes were on the sub lists. Was it just an empty gesture in order to say, "these are the people we would have selected if we had actually planned enough time to have this discussion before the entries were due?" Or was Russia under the impression they were going to be able to skirt the rules? (Or is there just a delay on updating the lists for men & dance? I wouldn't have thought names could be added to the lists either, except that they went and announced those athletes as though they were really going to be on the sub lists).

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
Do we know Sergei's condition, tho? I'm not saying the Fed cares about him, but do we know how he's skating atm? (I mean, not like the other guys are doing that well anyway.)

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Do we know Sergei's condition, tho? I'm not saying the Fed cares about him, but do we know how he's skating atm? (I mean, not like the other guys are doing that well anyway.)

He's not. He just came back from Bali. Probably still on vacation and has been for a while since his injury.

I found a video of Erokhov after the SP at Nats. He said he had a cast removed and only recently started jumping all jumps in early January. So I guess he did have a fracture, somewhere. I think he just came back too soon.
https://youtu.be/wVgKtB3mKws

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
New interview:
Egor Murashov: In Search of the Golden Key
https://www.fsrussia.ru/intervyu/4278-egor-murashov-v-poiskakh-zolotogo-klyucha.html
This season, Egor Murashov, in one of his programs, is trying to tell his wooden doll story on the ice - Pinocchio. The figure skater looks like this fairy-tale hero: big eyes, a glance looking inward, and the “broken” choreographic lines in the program only emphasize the similarity with the character.

This year, Egor combines performances at the junior and adult levels. The other day in Innsbruck, Austria, Murashov won a bronze medal. This season, goals and dreams and the search for his "golden key", which will help to achieve success not only in sports - in life, Egor said in an interview with the website of the figure skating school.

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
With 2 events left that count towards SB, here we are so far:

Guaranteed GP event
Kolyada (SB 4)
Samarin (SB 8)
Voronov (SB 13)
Aliev (SB 15)
Kovtun (SB 17)
Lazukin (SB 20)
Savosin (JrW medalist)

Others with a SB
Shulepov (SB 28)
Miliukov (SB 65)
Lezheev (SB 118)

Aging out of Juniors
Savosin (SB 30)
Erokhov (SB 45)
Murashov (SB 79)

Junior Grand prix spots: 2 at all 7 events. ETA: there will be 3 spots at JGP Chelyabinsk.
Junior Worlds spots: 3
Youth Olympic spots: 2

Remaining as Juniors
Danielian (SB 37)
Gumennik (SB 41)
Mozalev (SB 44)
Iakovlev (SB 57)
Kovalev (SB 80)
Rukhin (SB 85)
Vetlugin (SB 89)
*Unless injured, I expect Samsonov, Danielian, Gumennik, and Mozalev to all get at least 1 event. The rest of the guys we will see as there is more competition for those spots than there were last year.*

**Will update the SB list after World Team Trophy**

Competition alert:

Moscow qualifications to the Championship of Russia Elder Age begins on Tuesday. Top 6 get to compete at the Championship of Russia (Elder Age) which starts April 1st in Sochi. This is the last chance for some to get on the National team (boys team). Here is the roster. Highly doubt Danielian makes this. Kovalev is not entered but may get a bye due to his performance at the Cup Final. As of now, he is without funding. Iakovlev seems to be done for the season.

ETA: there's also one more competition dedicated to Sergei Grinkov at CSKA. Takes place March 20.
Juniors: Vetlugin, Seniors: Murashov, Danielian. If Artur makes this, it will be his first time skating as a senior. Roster.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
The JW medalists are no longer guaranteed any GP assignments (as of the past couple of seasons), but Roman's WS may be enough to guarantee him one.

LadyB

Record Breaker
Wow! Frolov is on the list for Moscow! I haven't seen him in ages. Hope he's good :agree:

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Wow! Frolov is on the list for Moscow! I haven't seen him in ages. Hope he's good :agree:

Well he is on the list. We will see. This is his 3rd time on a list this season but so far it hasn't worked out.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
I wonder what RusFed learnt from Worlds because once again all their favourites bomb their programs, while Mishin skaters at least land their elements.

Unless Kolyada skates the FS of his life, this is a byebye to the three spots already.

Sam L

Medalist
I’m going to be pissed if Roman is negatively affected from them losing the three spots.

gmyers

Record Breaker
It’s very surprising Samarin didn’t retire after winning silver at euros as it lead to such Vicious attacks against him and calls for investigations into his PCs. I mean social media was all about having his medal taken away! There was no reason to expect Samarin to do well. It’s surprising he’s still skating. Hopefully he can recover from what happened to him at euros. All the commentators like Wagner saying he has no talent.

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
It’s very surprising Samarin didn’t retire after winning silver at euros as it lead to such Vicious attacks against him and calls for investigations into his PCs. I mean social media was all about having his medal taken away! There was no reason to expect Samarin to do well. It’s surprising he’s still skating. Hopefully he can recover from what happened to him at euros. All the commentators like Wagner saying he has no talent.

Samarin certainly seems to have somebody at the Russian Fed in his corner. And commentators like Wagner aren't exactly correct--he does have talent--quite good talent--for jumping. But when the jumps aren't working for him, there's nothing else there. I'm hard-pressed to think of a more un-musical skater currently competing Seniors. His PCS are often too high--IMO his SS should be around 8.0 but he doesn't have much in the way of transitions and the other PCS components should be more like 7.0. But they are usually considerably higher. And the reason is that he represents the Russian Federation. Look at poor Julian Zhi Jie Yee--might not be as talented a jumper but can run rings around Samarin on the PCS, every day of the year. Yet JZJY, ends up with 6's for components vs being in the upper 7's and sometimes lower 8's where he should be. Reason: he represents Malaysia. In a just world, Yee should have a higher Worlds SP score than Samarin. I have nothing against Samarin as a young man/skater, but he has been gifted on the PCS end far more than he has been shafted. And that continued at this Worlds SP. So my sympathy for him is limited and for the Russian Federation, sympathy is nonexistent. I would have gambled on Aliev or (if he hadn't been injured) Uncle Voronov.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Samarin certainly seems to have somebody at the Russian Fed in his corner. And commentators like Wagner aren't exactly correct--he does have talent--quite good talent--for jumping. But when the jumps aren't working for him, there's nothing else there. I'm hard-pressed to think of a more un-musical skater currently competing Seniors. His PCS are often too high--IMO his SS should be around 8.0 but he doesn't have much in the way of transitions and the other PCS components should be more like 7.0. But they are usually considerably higher. And the reason is that he represents the Russian Federation. Look at poor Julian Zhi Jie Yee--might not be as talented a jumper but can run rings around Samarin on the PCS, every day of the year. Yet JZJY, ends up with 6's for components vs being in the upper 7's and sometimes lower 8's where he should be. Reason: he represents Malaysia. In a just world, Yee should have a higher Worlds SP score than Samarin. I have nothing against Samarin as a young man/skater, but he has been gifted on the PCS end far more than he has been shafted. And that continued at this Worlds SP. So my sympathy for him is limited and for the Russian Federation, sympathy is nonexistent. I would have gambled on Aliev or (if he hadn't been injured) Uncle Voronov.

I feel this is a restatement of Wagner. If he doesn’t have anything but jumps neither he or anyone else is a talented figure skater! If you are looking for a whole package he doesn’t have it. He doesn’t have the talent. That’s all he heard after euros. And thats why he bombed.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Yes, unfortunately, the RUS men seem to lack lustre in skating this World Championships.

If FFKKR looses one or more of it's GP spots, what will the consequences be regarding to financing and motivating the present skaters and the young ones waiting to take over?

PS: who is this "Lyosha", Mishin is always calling to in the K&C?

Status
Not open for further replies.