Egor MURASHOV
Mikhail POLIANSKII
Egor RUKHIN
Evgeni SEMENENKO
Matvei VETLUGIN

Main competition: Orzel, Pulkinen

skatenewbie

Medalist
i wonder why they giving Savosin back to back assignment. is it because he's considered one of the most reliable (and most experience in JGP) so they give him 2 spot right away? but it would be tiring and suck skaters out. thankfully its all in europe so its not as tiring as doing GP back to back...

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
i wonder why they giving Savosin back to back assignment. is it because he's considered one of the most reliable (and most experience in JGP) so they give him 2 spot right away? but it would be tiring and suck skaters out. thankfully its all in europe so its not as tiring as doing GP back to back...

To sub him out of Bratislava? Also historically, he has done 2 of the first 3 events his entire junior career so he very well may do 2 back to back events just like he did in 2016.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Petr Gumennik
LP video https://youtu.be/wbTECOO5Cvk

Mikhail Polianskii, JGP candidate, he turned 13 on June 28!
LP video https://youtu.be/je_TgKNYMXk
Sound of Silence

Petr looks very promising this season!

I've always rooted for him, cause he looked like the future of Men's skating in Russia for a while when he was with Mishin, but then hit and miss at jgp and last year he always looked tentative, like he wasn't pushing enough.

Considering we're still in July this is good, still i hope he adds a little more effort in the choreography and more speed in general and during spins (which should be one his strenghts).

mrrice

Record Breaker
Do you guys think Mikhail Kolyada will win Nationals this year? How is he looking these days? Other than cute, I mean. ;)

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Do you guys think Mikhail Kolyada will win Nationals this year? How is he looking these days? Other than cute, I mean. ;)

Technically he should.

If you disrupt each element, Mikhail Kolyada is the best male skater, or one of the best (i'd put Hanyu up there), and definitely the best in Russia: he has the best jumping technique in the world no question, very good spinner, strong skating skills and most importantly he has a personality on the ice. The problem is that he's not consistent at all, but even the Federation understood his potential.

Just the other day i watched one of his old programs, when he wasn't a top contender.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QarO_so4LPU

i'd like to see Aliev being Russia number 2 but he needs to be more consistent and practice more the spins (all Rukavicin skaters have issues with the spins, so this is a problem) otherwise Samarin, with a clean 4ltz and the CSKA inflation, and Erokhov will overtake him.

It's interesting that Kolyada and Erokhov will compete at the same events in Finland and Russia at the GP.

vorravorra

Record Breaker
Technically he should.

If you disrupt each element, Mikhail Kolyada is the best male skater, or one of the best (i'd put Hanyu up there), and definitely the best in Russia: he has the best jumping technique in the world no question, very good spinner, strong skating skills and most importantly he has a personality on the ice. The problem is that he's not consistent at all, but even the Federation understood his potential.

Just the other day i watched one of his old programs, when he wasn't a top contender.

i'd like to see Aliev being Russia number 2 but he needs to be more consistent and practice more the spins (all Rukavicin skaters have issues with the spins, so this is a problem) otherwise Samarin, with a clean 4ltz and the CSKA inflation, and Erokhov will overtake him.

It's interesting that Kolyada and Erokhov will compete at the same events in Finland and Russia at the GP.
Rikavicin's skaters also have a problem with stamina, they need to get a proper off-ice coach. Ignatov could also maybe get somewhere if he could last till the end of the FS. Although he may already be too tall for a realistic chance in men's skating.

If a consistent skater with quads emerges RusFed will grab onto him and nobody else will stand a chance, that's for sure. But at the moment I don't see how Samarin is a better bet than Aliev, he has a tendency to only skate consistently up to the point when it really matters. And the Fed has made it clear that if he doesn't land his jumps no CSKA support will keep him afloat. Erokhov is currently a bit of a question mark, he'll need to up his game (and stay injury-free) to do well in Seniors.

combo

Rinkside
How can Kolyada have the best jumping technique in the world when he completely lacks a flip due to having a severely wrong edge? Certainly, his lack of pre-rotation and exceptional height are beautiful, but there are other skaters jumping high and taking off cleanly on all six jump types.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Technically he should.

Oh, please! Dima is already #2 and he is in no danger from Samarin & Erokhov if healthy. He can easily beat Mikhail as he's proven at Euros and the Olys...nothing is carved in stone right now. And he has about 10 times the personality that Mikhail does.

vorravorra

Record Breaker
Raf's group has the best idea of that. He hasn't skated anywhere remotely public and isn't into posting training videos. As for Nationals, it's his to lose.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
How can Kolyada have the best jumping technique in the world when he completely lacks a flip due to having a severely wrong edge? Certainly, his lack of pre-rotation and exceptional height are beautiful, but there are other skaters jumping high and taking off cleanly on all six jump types.

Same as Yuna Kim who had the best jumping technique at the time and no 3 loop.

You don't necessarily need to have all kinds of jumps, the bv of Kolyada's programs are very high without the flip.

Also it's not just the height (Voronov also has a very big 3A for example) but the distance and the flow, especially on the axel and the lutz

Oh, please! Dima is already #2 and he is in no danger from Samarin & Erokhov if healthy. He can easily beat Mikhail as he's proven at Euros and the Olys...nothing is carved in stone right now. And he has about 10 times the personality that Mikhail does.

Disagree on few things.

Dima had a really strong second half of the season no doubt (at Worlds he was underscored in the free) but clean Dima vs clean Misha, Kolyada wins hands down: at Worlds he scored 100 points in the short with only 1 quad, that's how much judges like him and his jumping technique.

With the new rules, Mikhail can really aim for +3, +4 and +5 for both jumps and spins (to the point where i don't think he needs a 4ltz anymore), on the other hand Dima really needs to improve the height on the 4 lutz and the spins both speed and positioning.

Plus Mikhail has now the reputation of being the only top competitor from Russia with 2 national titles and world bronze medalist.

Personality Dima vs Mikhail: they have very different styles, they are both good at that but right now, Kolyada got higher components than Dima.

Nothing is set in stone of course but Kolyada is clearly Russia number 1 at the moment.

Dima should be number 2 but he needs to prove it this season with more consistency: Samarin will always benefit from CSKA's big help at nationals, while Erokhov has two really good picks for a russian skater in the GP, federation might want to push him. Last season he looked so far behind Dima, but you'll never know with Tutberidze skaters.

vorravorra

Record Breaker

You don't necessarily need to have all kinds of jumps, the bv of Kolyada's programs are very high without the flip.

Also it's not just the height (Voronov also has a very big 3A for example) but the distance and the flow, especially on the axel and the lutz

Disagree on few things.

Dima had a really strong second half of the season no doubt (at Worlds he was underscored in the free) but clean Dima vs clean Misha, Kolyada wins hands down: at Worlds he scored 100 points in the short with only 1 quad, that's how much judges like him and his jumping technique.

With the new rules, Mikhail can really aim for +3, +4 and +5 for both jumps and spins (to the point where i don't think he needs a 4ltz anymore), on the other hand Dima really needs to improve the height on the 4 lutz and the spins both speed and positioning.

Plus Mikhail has now the reputation of being the only top competitor from Russia with 2 national titles and world bronze medalist.

Personality Dima vs Mikhail: they have very different styles, they are both good at that but right now, Kolyada got higher components than Dima.

Nothing is set in stone of course but Kolyada is clearly Russia number 1 at the moment.

Dima should be number 2 but he needs to prove it this season with more consistency: Samarin will always benefit from CSKA's big help at nationals, while Erokhov has two really good picks for a russian skater in the GP, federation might want to push him. Last season he looked so far behind Dima, but you'll never know with Tutberidze skaters.
In the SP maybe, but in the FS the only real substitute for a 4Lz is a 2A. Unless he suddenly shows great progress on his 4S.

Tatjana

On the Ice
In an interview with the Russian press pusblished a few days ago Rafael Arutunian spoke positively about Mikhail Kolyada, praising his work ethics and saying that they worked on the quads and that he is pleased with the result of their work. So that sounds promising. Hopefully Rafael had a few tips for Mikhail to improve his consistency. When I spoke to Alexei Mishin a few weeks ago, he pointed out that Mikhail is very talented, but his training is not systematic enough. I agree with Tolstoj, that Mikhail is one of the best in the world as a complete skater if you look at his elements (jumps, spins, footwork) and he does have charisma (but he doesn't always show it enough in competition). It will be interesting to see what he will aim for in the season - +4/+5 execution on triples or risking 4Lz and the 4S. He said to me in June that he will see how things work and he will try different options. Selfishly I hope to see the gorgeous 4Lz again ;-).
As for Dmitri Aliev, he is also very talented and has great qualities. The two skaters are very different as stated above, but they are right now the top Russian men and they are the ones with the biggest potential for sure right now.

vorravorra

Record Breaker
In an interview with the Russian press pusblished a few days ago Rafael Arutunian spoke positively about Mikhail Kolyada, praising his work ethics and saying that they worked on the quads and that he is pleased with the result of their work. So that sounds promising. Hopefully Rafael had a few tips for Mikhail to improve his consistency. When I spoke to Alexei Mishin a few weeks ago, he pointed out that Mikhail is very talented, but his training is not systematic enough. I agree with Tolstoj, that Mikhail is one of the best in the world as a complete skater if you look at his elements (jumps, spins, footwork) and he does have charisma (but he doesn't always show it enough in competition). It will be interesting to see what he will aim for in the season - +4/+5 execution on triples or risking 4Lz and the 4S. He said to me in June that he will see how things work and he will try different options. Selfishly I hope to see the gorgeous 4Lz again ;-).
As for Dmitri Aliev, he is also very talented and has great qualities. The two skaters are very different as stated above, but they are right now the top Russian men and they are the ones with the biggest potential for sure right now.
Praiseworthy work ethic and not training systematically seem to be a bit of a contradiction.
Also Mishin is yet another person who does not see how Kolyada trains and yet seems to know all about it.

Tatjana

On the Ice
Praiseworthy work ethic and not training systematically seem to be a bit of a contradiction.
Also Mishin is yet another person who does not see how Kolyada trains and yet seems to know all about it.

I think you misunderstood. Mishin's comment about the lack of systematic training is not about lack of work ethics but about the construction of the training (in which order he practices his jumps and how one thing builds on the next - or not in this case) and he basically criticized Mikhail's coach (not the skater). True, Mishin is not present at regular practice sessions, but he has been watching Mikhail's training at competitions. He is one of the most experienced coaches in the world and I'm sure he knows what he is talking about.

combo

Rinkside

I suppose we just have different definitions of what constitutes as good technique then 🤔 for me to be able to complete each jump type, and lutz and flip with correct edges, is a basic pre-requisite to a skater having good technique - which is why personally I always considered Carolina a better technician, even if wildly, wildly less consistent.

Still, it remains that skaters such as Hanyu do not lack height or length, or flow, and Jin does not lack height or length (although in his case, the flow definitely could be better) and they can both perform all jumps with the correct edges and minimal pre-rotation.

I can completely understand that others may evaluate it differently though, giving more significance to one feature over another. Yet more subjectivity in figure skating, huh? ;)

vorravorra

Record Breaker
I think you misunderstood. Mishin's comment about the lack of systematic training is not about lack of work ethics but about the construction of the training (in which order he practices his jumps and how one thing builds on the next - or not in this case) and he basically criticized Mikhail's coach (not the skater). True, Mishin is not present at regular practice sessions, but he has been watching Mikhail's training at competitions. He is one of the most experienced coaches in the world and I'm sure he knows what he is talking about.
Yes, he is experienced but then so is TAT. And it's well-known that he asked Mikhail to train with him and Mikhail turned him down so he may be just a tad biased.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Funny how some of the most inconsistent jumpers are regularly seen as examples of excellent technique. :think:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well, excellent technique and safest technique are not the same thing. If Satoko rarely falls it doesn't make her technique great.

Just making a general observation really. Many of the folks that people seem to use as examples of great technique (Liza, Caro, even Yuzu) have a history of poor showings or even entire seasons :scard7:.

I just find it curious.

Status
Not open for further replies.